“Terrible, avoid at all costs!”

Cricklewood Lodge Hotel
Ranked #638 of 1,089 Hotels in London
UK
“Terrible, avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

I booked a room in the Cricklewood Lodge for a friend who was staying in London for a few days. I went to pick up the keys for him and was greeted by an incredibly rude man in the reception, which immediately set alarm bells ringing. As soon as I walked I could see the hotel was shabby, and had a dank, horrible atmosphere to it so I asked if I could see the room before paying. The receptionist wasn't too happy about this, and I can see why he didn't want me to see it. The room turned out to be disgustingly dirty, it was smelly, full of ugly, rickety furniture, the bed was really uncomfortable . How could I let my friend stay there?

I went back to the reception to let the man know I didn't want the room. He was on the phone for ages and totally ignored me. So I left the key on the counter and walked out.

Later on he called me with a torrent of verbal abuse. I had the right to cancel my reservation and I don't feel I should have been subjected to this. Please avoid this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, rooms, service
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank London_girl09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

Theres nothing good to say about this hotel. It is in desperate need of renovation (it looks nothing like the pictures on the website). Our room (8) was dirty and shabby. The furniture was a mix of rickety old tables and a dirty desk. The tv didnt work properly and there was no remote control. The over bed light was a rusty desk lamp screwed to the wall. The sink in the bedroom was dirty and rusty and covered in fag burns. Our double bed was awful due to the fact it was made up of 2 doors which nicely stuck out from under the mattress! Now for the best bit, the shower room. It was filthy. The toilet would not flush, the bowl was black, as was the floor. The shower was no better, it was covered in mould. You had to lift the whole door up to get it to close ( that is if you were brave enough to get in it ). The window also would not shut and to stop people looking in, it was covered with newspaper.
Unfortunately the breakfast wasn`t any better. It was run by 3 girls who could not speak very good english, and they didn`t think twice about arguing in front of the guests. The food was very poor, i could only recommend the toast.
Overall i can not give this hotel more than 1 out of 10. Please think carefully before booking a stay at the Cricklewood.

• Liked — The car park
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

I have recently stayed at this hotel, I was able to check in late at night, it was no problem, and shown to my room.
My partner and I had booked a double room with an ensuite over their website, and I was very pleased with our room.
It was spacious and had been renovated, you could tell them carpets and fittings were new.
At breakfast we had a huge english breakfast, the dining room was big and modern, and also the staff were friendly.
I needed a hairdryer and extra pillows that night, so the night receptionist brought it up, no problems.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to any guests coming to london, transport links are very good too.

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — no wifi
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

We visited London for 3 days to see my son before moving on to Paris. He found this "little gem" for us and I guess being a backbacker, hostel, budget traveller he felt it was good value and it was definitely close to his flat.

We found the family staff disinterested and had no sense of customer service whatsoever. The room we were given was in the basement...well if we had not not been exhausted from our very long day we would have walked right back out.

It was grimey, dank and dark. The overall level of the hotel was poor to very poor. We stayed because we were barely in the room other than to sleep and we know it would be over soon.

Finally, breakfast (included with the room) was just passable served with the same "I really don't care" level of service we had come to expect.

We were supposed to stay on our last night before our flight home but instead stayed at The Crown Morin Hotel just up the street, what luxury!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Allmost everything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
united kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

We booked an overnight stay at this hotel because it was near the area we had some business the following day. Upon entering the hotel we noticed how grubby and worn it all looked. We were given the key to our room and found it to be filthy dirty with a broken toilet seat down the side of the toilet with thick dirt all around. I knew I could not stay there. We complained to the manager and he said they did not have any more rooms available. My husband left the hotel to try and book us in elsewhere without success. It seamed we had no choice so reluctantly stayed. During the night my husband was woken by bed bugs crawling over his body but knew if he woke me up I would have been devastated. In the morning I saw the bites on my husbands body. Totally disgusted I left without breakfast knowing we had payed by credit card and could do very little about it. Please do not repeat the shockingly awful experience we had.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business