“Friday night meal”

Description: Lunch served through to 5.30 p.m
Newton Poppleford, United Kingdom
“Friday night meal”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Nice and quiet for a Friday night, brilliant service and excellent food, unfortunately the waiter knocked over a bottle of wine, thankfully no harm done and they couldn't be more apologetic and dealt with the spillage quickly and efficiently, an enjoyable experience with welcoming atmosphere.

Visited July 2014

London, United Kingdom
“A London institution”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Having read through some of the reviews on here and particularly the negative ones the only disappointment is the owner bothering to respond.

This restaurant is one of the best in London and that's a fact not just my opinion.

The food is delicious and reminds me of the better places I have eaten at in France over the years. Yes, you may be ridiculled for requesting ketchup for your chips but it's all tongue in cheek and part of the lovely experience of eating there.

I have had so many different dishes there and have yet to find fault or even find a favourite.

In my opinion the service is very good and consistent. They will always try and squeeze you in even when they are busy.

So to all the critics consider for a moment why it has been around so long and why it is always busy.

La Poule au Pot is a delight and you can be certain to have a memorable meal here.

I thoroughly recommend it.

More from me on Twitter @busy_dan

1 Thank DanSalmassian
“Dishonest”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

While the food is generally good, it is overpriced for what it is. The last two times I've gone here for dinner an extra bottle of wine has appeared each time on the bill, which was never ordered... Be careful!

8 Thank Sean K
Peter F, Owner at La Poule au Pot, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
What an appalling accusation and so untrue! Equally the reviewers experience of current restaurant prices seems to be somewhat deranged. I would ask that the accusation of dishonesty be retracted, failing which i will seek legal advice.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

last Friday I was very disappointed by this restaurant which has always been good. Sole rubbery and service poor and very expensive

Visited July 2014
1 Thank LadyWills
Peter F, Owner at La Poule au Pot, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
This would appear to be a repeat of a review posted on 11th July to which I have already responded. Some people appear to have too much time on their hands!

It is somewhat disturbing that a person of such an unpleasant and vindictive personality should be given the opportunity to so badly effect our rating.
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Did not disappoint on yet another visit”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our third visit here but we have not been for a long while as it is expensive and we reserve it for a special treat and it is off our beaten track when we are in London but we decided to treat ourselves again and were not disappointed. You really feel that you are in France when you eat here - the menu is all in French and most of the staff are French and, as it was a beautiful evening, we even had French weather. We both had quiche au fromage to start which sounds unexciting but cheese quiche done here is just mouth-watering - so simple yet so delicious. Do not be put off by the simple sounding dishes as you will not have better. My husband had the calves' liver and he is something of an expert on this and declared it to be the best he has ever eaten - he has had it before here and cannot find it bettered in the way they cook it. I had veal in a mushroom sauce which was also delicious but there were so many dishes we could have chosen from rabbit to goose to guinea fowl - we will definitely be going back. Not cheap but well worth splashing out.

• Visited July 2014