“Afternoon Tea via Activity Superstore”
Review of Number Twelve

Number Twelve
Ranked #2,992 of 24,672 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$40 - US$79
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Description: A modern and contemporary space overlooking the beautiful Dickensian Woburn Walk, Number Twelve is an ideal venue for any social occasion.Where only the best fresh and seasonal ingredients are used, Number Twelve has menus to suit all your needs, whether it is dinner, lunch or a private party, our experienced and friendly team are on hand to assist at every opportunity.Located in the Bloomsbury area, the literary district of central London, Number Twelve Restaurant is within walking distance of Russell Square, Euston and King’s Cross St. Pancras stations.
Reviewed 29 January 2017

We received an Activity Superstore experience voucher as a gift a while ago and booked an afternoon tea experience at Number Twelve Restaurant shortly after. It was really difficult to book a weekend slot and I think the first available weekend was in April. Nevertheless, we chose to do it on a Wednesday which was a lot quieter!

Because the restaurant was rather empty, we were served quickly and the waiters were very friendly. The restaurant was also clean and relatively modern. However, the atmosphere felt more business-like than romantic or family-friendly.

The menu was quite basic, but it was definitely enough for two people. The menu consisted of (each person):
- Two servings of tea/coffee/hot chocolate
- 2 Scones with jam and cream
- 4 sandwich fingers: Cucumber & cream cheese, Salmon & cream cheese, Egg & cress + Roast beef & mustard
- 4 pastries: Macaron, Crispy roll with Nutella (not sure what they’re called), fruit tartlet + Piece of lemon curd cake

Although it was nicely presented, I wasn’t too keen on the selection. The sandwiches were a bit boring and some of the pastries felt a bit dry, like they’ve been sitting there since the morning (which they probably had). However, I did like the lemon cake, macaron, roast beef and salmon sandwich. The scones tasted nice, but we got a dodgy batch and they were very different in size, density and texture. Nevertheless, the Peach Lemon Star tea and Jasmine Green tea were delicious.

The overall experience was enjoyable, but they could definitely improve the quality of the afternoon tea food selection seeing that it's normally worth £25 per person.

Reviewed 26 January 2017

Early evening meal which was beautifully presented. Portions generous. Came with a selection of breads with dipping oil. and a carafe of tap water. Wine temperature spot on.

Place was quiet and lacked atmosphere and staff were a bit odd.....greeting was 'have you got a voucher or are you paying the full price?.........what is that all about!

I think I will return but perhaps stick to the bar menu next time.

Reviewed 22 January 2017

Having visited this restaurant last year I was looking forward to returning for tea again. We had a Social Living deal and at £19 for two the tea was excellent value. The restaurant is spotlessly clean with very helpful waiting staff. We had 4 types of finger sandwiches, plenty of scones with jam and cream, delicious pastries and cakes too. They even brought a second pot of tea at no extra charge, there was an extensive range of teas, most of which were rather exotic and looked interesting. Would definitely recommend Number Twelve for afternoon tea if you find yourself around Euston/Russell Square.

Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

I ate here simply because I was staying in the adjoining hotel.

I stay in hotels Monday to Friday so I'm used to dining alone. I felt rather awkward having to wait a protracted period of time to be acknowledged and seated here though.

I was then served a selection of breads with dipping oil. Wow, what a treat. I was then brought a carafe of tap water while I waited for my meal. I had the roasted pumpkin soup (amazing) followed by the grilled chicken which again was outstanding.

All in all it was a very special meal only let down by the lack of atmosphere and rather wooden (but very pleasant) waiting staff.

Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

The food was tasty, albeit fairly standard bistro fare. Soup followed by chicken and chips, both courses well prepared and of decent quality.

However the evening was let down by the venue. Not much atmosphere in the restaurant, although admittedly we arrived at the start of dinner service. Bright lights and no background music gave the place the air of an airport waiting room.

Where this evening really fell down for me was the lack of value for money with the Activity Superstore voucher we were using. The voucher retails for £50 but the restaurant only offered two courses and a glass of prosecco each for two people. (The voucher states "two or three courses per person, dependent on the restaurant".)

The standard set menu price at Number Twelve is £19.50 for two courses and £22.50 for three. I've been lucky enough to have visited a few restaurants on similar vouchers and they tend to view the voucher/promotion as a opportunity to showcase their restaurant, knowing they a) may get repeat business and b) will make money on additional sides, drinks etc diners may buy. At Number Twelve your experience voucher gets the set menu at either the same cost as someone walking in or charges more (dependent on the cost of the prosecco). Not the kind of "treat" one would assume from using a gift experience voucher.

Added to this the set menu was extremely limited - only 3 choices per course (and nothing for vegetarians - luckily we are both omnivores).

So, my advice - if you've been given - or bought yourself - an Activity Superstore voucher for a treat then do not use it at Number Twelve. You will get better choice - and better value - by using it elsewhere in London.

3  Thank Andrew W