“Nice way to spend Saturday lunchtime”
Review of Chix Chox - CLOSED

Chix Chox
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

35 years ago we used to come to Finchley to go to a specialist children's shoe shop. (They had very narrow feet). Afterwards we would go to Chix Chox cafe/restaurant for our lunch.

My daughter is now 41 and recently had a birthday. I asked her what would she like as a gift or would she prefer to have a meal or both!
She said do you know what mum I would love to go back to the Chix Chox cafe/restaurant. As a child it was the highlight of our shoe shopping trip.

Now I always say you can never go back, but this is what she wanted.
We went last Saturday lunchtime 5th of July complete with my daughters own small children.

Well you can go back.

From the moment we arrived we were well looked after. We needed a high chair this was brought quickly. Menus arrived and the waiter said here is a special menu for the young man. My six year old grandson. He beamed. We ordered starters all having something different. We asked could the children's meals be brought with our starters. No problem
The house red wine was very acceptable.
All our main meals were very good as was the desert the highlight of my daughters trip the pancakes she remembered from her childhood.
The waiter even took time to chat to my grandson about his panini stickers and the worldcup.
All in all we enjoyed our return and have now decided to buy the grandchildren their shoes in Finchley so we can visit Chix Chox sooner rather than later!

Can't understand lexakit's remarks sounds like they must have come on an off day or went to a different place!

3  Thank Mars46

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have been to Chix Chox many times in the last 15 years and this is the first time we have been disappointed.
I chose the Calves Liver and Bacon with Mashed Potatoes.
I had 2 slices of Calves Liver which was cut too thin, about 1/8th. inch thick, with the result it was over cooked, dry and hard. If the slices had been twice as thick it would have been tender and tasty. The mashed potato was watery and was a very mean portion. Were the potatoes boiled for too long? The meal needed some sauce and a vegetable to make a complete dish.
My partner chose Breast of Chicken Escalopes with Spaghetti and Bolognese Sauce.
The Chicken was too thick as it had not been beaten out into thin Escalopes. The Bolognese Sauce was a thick dollop of brown stodge and was inedible.
We will try Chix Chox again in the hope this was a one off bad night for the chef.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

we have been here quite a few times over the years and the quality of the food is consistently good, with friendly and efficient service. It is relatively good value, the portions are quite large and the atmosphere is relaxed. The liver is really good (although once it was too thick and under done), some of the specials are great, the desserts are nice, and there is a children's menu too. When they found out we were celebrating a birthday, a free slice of cake arrived with singing 'happy birthday'!

1  Thank noname100001
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Having visited today for lunch, I have read the reviews below with bafflement. Friendly service translated as far as we were concerned to silent, resentful (if efficient) banging down of plates in front of us. Pizza was good, everything else indifferent to downright inedible. Clientele mostly ossified. This restaurant may have had a heyday in about 1982 but has been declining steeply ever since, by the feel of it. Not cheap, either (or not cheap enough to justify the food). I would have given one star, but a grudging half smile (presumably because we were leaving) and a lollipop for the kids from the chap on the till rescued a second.

1  Thank Lexakit
Reviewed 25 March 2014

we recently had a family "do" here & the food & service was fantastic & there was no feeling that you had to rush your meal so the next customers could have your table like you get in some restaurants, even though there were some fussy eaters in the group, all were catered for & all plates were cleared, the ice creams & deserts were second to none, this is a perfect place for couples & families alike, I would highly recommend.

2  Thank Louthster