“Delicious and great atmosphere”

Tas Borough High Street
Ranked #1,911 of 24,239 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I stumbled across this place on a Sunday night while staying at the London City Hotel nearby. All the other restaurants nearby were half-empty but this place was full. I found out why. The food is fresh, delicious, and colorful--a cut above average Turkish fare. The flavors are a little more intense, and everything is carefully prepared. The dishes are attractive but hearty--it's about the taste, no frou-frou gourmet touches here. The waiters are friendly and helpful if you are not familiar with Turkish cuisine. The food comes fast but you are not rushed. There is a bit of energy and noise in the place--people are having a good time. I wouldn't go here for a quiet dinner for two, more like for a first date or a nice dinner out with friends. Prices are decent for the amount of food you get. Enjoy.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Brilliant dinner in London. Two of us shared six meze plates, which was more than we could eat. All the food was delicious and without exception the staff were delightful. The Turkish lager is worth a try. The total bill came to £46. Not bad at all for the amount and quality of the food and a couple of drinks.

1  Thank qcattq
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We booked a work lunch for 20 people, it was easy to fit us all in as it's quite a big place.
The waiter looking after us was very nice and accommodating. Some of us had to leave early so they got served within 10 minutes. The portions are rather large so you better arrive hungry though!
I had a chicken shish cooked to perfection with some of the most succulent couscous I have tasted...
You needn't worry if you're a vegetarian, there is plenty on offer!
No time for dessert but will definitely go back there to sample more.
And if you don't have time for a sit down meal, you can grab a take away at the Tas cafe next door!

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Must say this was quite the gem - especially for being central London! It's great value for the area. Judging by the menu prices outside, I really didn't expect it to look as nice, clean sophisticated as it did. (We almost felt underdressed in jeans and a blazer!)

The service was efficient but polite, and we were never short of drinks/bread/food. I shared the vegetarian meze with a friend, and the final bill came in at £24 for two (with tap water to drink) which really wasn't bad for the wide variety of tasty dishes that filled the table. As well as amazing bread..

What subtracts a star for me was the atmosphere. The lighting was a really odd and washed out, our table was drafty and cold to sit by, and half-way through our meal a couple (who I think were on a first date) were seated right next to us - despite the restaurant being half-empty! They were literally sitting next to us, to the point where it felt VERY awkward.

Overall though, brilliant food at great value (for central London), just don't expect it to be in a cosy setting.

1  Thank josieist
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This place is a keeper! The food is excellent and the staff are very friendly. I recommend having all the dishes as there are so many wonderful things to taste. I order all the aubergine dishes as I love them all. At the end of the meal we ordered some Turkish coffee (love) and baklava. Whoa, you get 4 pieces! I felt very naughty eating that many but hey, you only live once!
Go here and enjoy, it is excellent. The deli and the restaurant are well worth the effort to eat in.

1  Thank LisaPattenden