“Modern, attractive & delicious.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Med Kitchen - Cambridge Circus
Price range: US$0 - US$51
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
“Modern, attractive & delicious.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Visited twice the week of May 14-21. Both experiences were great. Food was simply prepared and well-presented. Seating both indoors and out in a lovely neighborhood atmosphere.

• Visited May 2011

Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Good place for lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

We were nearly the first people to enter this restaurant for lunch but it did not take long to fill up. We had three courses and they were all tasty. My favorite was Creme Brulee. Service was quick in the beginning but when the restaurants starts to fill up it slowed down. We wanted to have a coffee but at the end we just managed to ask for bill as our theatre show started soon.

• Visited February 2011
London
“gorgeous family-feel Italian with simple food cooked to perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2011

I was a little apprehensive about going here after reading the reviews, but I haven't had such a nice meal in a long time. We mentioned that we only had 45 mins when we entered, as we were going to the ballet afterwards, and they said this wouldn't be a problem.

We ordered Italian breads to start which came warm with olive oil and were a lovely selection. My boyfriend and I both had lamb steak, his medium rare and mine well done, and they were both cooked perfectly. The lamb came with dauphinoise potatoes rather than the new potatoes on the menu but this was absolutely fine with us as we both prefer the former. The dish came with green beans which were also perfectly cooked, and we ordered chips as we'd heard they were great. We weren't let down.

I was disappointed I couldn't finish as the food tasted so amazing. My boyfriend had a red wine (Merlot) which he raved about and he ordered creme brulee, which was also fab.

The food was served very fast, in lots of time for us to get to the theatre, and the waitress was friendly and attentive.

If i had to complain about anything, I'd say it was quite warm in there as it's not the biggest place, and the toilets leave something to be desired, but overall this was the best meal I've had in ages and we'll definitely be going back there, probably next week!

• Visited January 2011
Bedfordshire
“AWFUL EVERYTHING - EXCEPT THE BANOFFEE PIE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

I went to the Med Kitchen in Covent Garden on the Thursday 16th of September with a group of friends. I consider myself to be a very easy to please person and I have to say I was very disappointed and so were my friends. We were greeted by a not so friendly waitress. OK, she might have been having a bad day (I wasn’t expecting her to smile) but I’ve seen more life in road kill. A couple of my girlfriends head to the ladies room to return telling us that as they enter the bathroom they see a cubicle with the lights out but the door is slightly open. A man suddenly appears from the cubicle, followed by a woman. Having returned upstairs they realised that the man that emerged from the women’s toilets was in fact a member of staff at Med Kitchen. Throughout our meal we noticed the same couple going back and forth from the toilets. Each time someone went down an additional light was out in the toilet stalls. At the end of our meal we asked to speak to the manager. He came over and my friend began by saying “I thought I would just let you know...” at which point he interrupted her and said “if it’s to do with the gentlemen in the women’s toilets, he is not one of my guys”! How would he have possibly known what my friend was about to say. So clearly the staff had picked up that we had noticed their unusual behaviour and warned the manager in advance.
Anyway.... now onto the review of the food!
For my starters I ordered the caramelised onion and goat’s cheese ciabatta. There was certainly ciabatta and onion on my plate but instead of goat’s cheese there was dandruff. Well, it may as well have been since I could barely see or taste the goat’s cheese. For my main I ordered the lamb steak with new potatoes. The plate was of average size and the food on it covered about a quarter of my plate. I was given the feeblest portion of potatoes, with a sprinkle of herb as its only seasoning. The lamb was comical in size and lacked humour in its flavour! There was no sauce or seasoning. Dust has more flavour. My friend ordered the steak burger which looked good! Until she TRIED to bite into it; the bread couldn’t have been any staler. Thank goodness someone had ordered a large bowl of fries, which we all shared. After two very bad courses I wasn’t expecting much for the dessert. Surprisingly the pudding was the only thing Med Kitchen got right. The apparently homemade Banoffee Pie was heavenly and surprisingly it was a good portion too! Overall, I was completely horrifed. I would certainly not be returning to Med Kitchen. I may have considered popping in for some Banoffee Pie, however after the dreadful service and appalling behaviour from staff I very much doubt it. In fact, when people ask me to recommend a place to eat in London I will tell them to be sure to avoid Med Kitchen.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MonstarBelle
kent
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food but not the offer as advertised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We went 21st May, we booked after seeing a great offer online, when we arrived they didn't do that offer and the other set menu didn't really have much we fancied. Even so we odered was very quick, attentive but not pressing. My pasta was great, starter too, my wife loved hers, we had a couple or 3 drinks each and it was £40/50 we really liked it and would recommend it, oh and if it's a sunny day it's nice to sit outside.