“A real treat for my birthday”

Al Forno - Wimbledon
Ranked #4,777 of 27,045 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2014

The restaurant was booked for my birthday meal by someone who had not been there either, so we were all going in blind. We'd booked for 10 but they didn't bat an eyelid when 11 of us showed up.

The atmosphere throughout our meal ( 8 p.m. till close) was fantastic.

Seems like quite a few people choose to spend their birthday night there also as we heard the waiters singing happy birthday at least five times.

When it was my turn they not only brought me a burning candle on a square of tirimisu and sang to me, but one of the waiters fed me - to the delight of my party,

The food was not the best Italian I've eaten, but the portions were generous and the prices very reasonable. Drink was also very reasonable. The rating is based on the overall experience.

Date of visit: September 2014

Reviewed 19 September 2014

3 of us turned up about 2.40 in the afternoon. Having spotted the outdoor terrace be decked by hanging baskets across the road from the New Wimbledon Theatre.
We were told we could have an outside table but warned the kitchen was closing at 3pm.
We opted to stay and all ordered pasta dishes off the menu . The portions were not large but they were tasty. There was only time for one course but it was nice.
During the time we ate the waiter turned away 8 potential customers by saying the restaurant was closing.
Given this was a sunny Friday afternoon the Restaurant was across the road from a provincial Theatre that had a 5pm full house,I can only think the owners missed a trick here.

Reviewed 14 September 2014

Family run restaurant, people line up on the door at peak-time but they will always find you a table. The service is rustic Italian (they may should across the room) but this always adds to the experience. The food is simple but very tasty as Italian food should be. What really makes this restaurant is the buzzing atmosphere.

On top of this the value for money is exceptional. If you are a pizza person you can feed your entire family with a large pizza or calzone.

Will be back soon

The pizzas are huge (

Reviewed 5 September 2014 via mobile

Food was ok and we did not try their pizzas which looked good. Bread basket of homemade (?) bread a shame. Tiramisu excellent. So order carefully.

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Second visit to this restaurant first with group of friends second with my two young sons and they always seem busy. Excellent quality pizza sons loved it but had to get them to share a small as a small size was sufficient for me on my own. Traditional stone baked pizza.