Open today: 09:00 - 22:00
Review Highlights
A school for the best!

Found them by accident but loved what they presented. Great people! Some schools are not worth your... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
PeterSmith1000
London, United Kingdom
Portrait photography workshop

I attended portrait photography workshop with Dan Kennedy, organized by36exp Photography. That was... read more

Reviewed 15 November 2018
Dreamer17226710805

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around London
from US$65.89
from US$87.41
from US$33.62
from US$32.27
More Info
All reviews street photography photography workshop night photography camera settings low tide millennium bridge borough market st paul's cathedral take photos tutor shoot 36exp tripod photographs taught session knowledge
Reviewed 15 November 2016

A thoroughly useful day. Good clear instruction and plenty of time to practice. Definitely recommended if you want to get experience of designing and setting up lighting and working with a model

Reviewed 7 November 2016

Stuck for something to get me, my wife purchased this evening workshop as a present. Nice and clear joining instructions were sent out by Andrew and the group (8 of us) assembled at the Millennium Bridge. We set off to several vantage points on the exposed river-banks and proceeded to start the photography. Andrew gave advice on recommended settings to use and encouraged us to find different positions and views, utilising the exposed rocks and wood as foreground interest. The tuition was quite light-touch, but that was appropriate and Andrew was constantly roving around, checking on how we were doing.
Judging by the results I have seen, most found the evening a valuable experience - I certainly did, and it has inspired me to revisit the area at night as my only "gripe" is that I wanted more time to find other locations.
Speaking to others on the workshop, it seems that most people find it reassuring to be in a group for this sort of activity when wandering along the South Bank with some fairly expensive camera gear - a viewpoint with which I certainly concur.
I would certainly recommend this workshop - just remember to bring some warm clothes (November), sturdy boots, a tripod and cable-release!

Reviewed 19 October 2016

I promised myself a long time ago I would do a studio lighting course, to try something different - I am a landscape photographer. I finally got around to it and I am so glad I did.

Andrew ran the course with skill; balancing showing how to set up along with the students doing it for themselves. Thanks also to the model, Isabelle for her patience with 5 novices and for her humour.

I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn more about working in a studio.

Reviewed 6 June 2016

Somehow or other, I'd never gotten around to understanding how my digital camera works - I've in fact only got a compact camera - actual SLRs had always struck me as even scarier! So I went along on Saturday and came away feeling that I was on the way towards mastering the basics. The morning session was devoted to going through the theory and we were taught about how to expose correctly and how to understand tonal histograms; we also learnt about metering modes, depth of field and the fundamentals of good composition. If I'm honest, perhaps a little too much time was spent on introducing ourselves which meant that some of the technical stuff felt a little rushed but this is a minor criticism. After a quick something to eat, we then got to put our newly found knowledge to the test in and around Borough Market and a lot of the theory started to make sense. I came away with a few nice shots and a far greater enthusiasm for digital photography. My thanks should go to Andrew for organising the session and to Steve for leading it ... and for his patience.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed 17 May 2016

I joined the 36exp Portrait Photography Workshop led by Andrew Mason. There were five attendees in total (all with good knowledge of using DSLR cameras), plus Andrew and a great professional model (Julie Dumont).

Andrew took us to four different outdoor locations in central London teaching us different aspects of portrait photography at each. The emphasis was on lighting conditions, composition and directing the model and the learning was through a combination of explanation from Andrew and hands-on photo taking. At every location each attendee had one-to-one time with the model which was a key part of the learning.

I was really pleased with the workshop. I learnt loads and came away with a lot of excellent photos for my portfolio. I thought the price was very reasonable at £65 for four hours with a professional model and teacher.

Overall, this is a good, fun, interesting way to learn some new skills.

Date of experience: May 2016