“Best Italian restaurant in West Hampstead”
Review of La Smorfia - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our review comes as a summary of 12 years in West Hampstead, where we have visited La Smorfia regularly every month, at least. Its staff is welcoming and helpful in all circumstances.
We highly recommend "Antipasti La Smorfia" which are extremely good; it is so good and filling that could be a meal on its own unless shared. Their pizza, to our standards, is the best in London. Light, thin and with extremely good ingredients (we have always ended up eating the whole lot, even crusts that are usually left). Trappola pizza is my favorite; I would highly recommend although it could be challenging for those with a week digestion (peppers, anchovies, onions are there). A plain Margherita would give an idea of the good dough and extremely good tomatoes sauce used. My partner would often go for the daily specials, they really make an effort to find something "Special" for the day. Fish and meat are cooked extremely well; you can tell the provision is accurately sourced, paying attention to freshness and seasonality. Traditional Italian desserts, being the chefs from Naples, are not be missed - try their "Caprese" . Their wine list is also extensive and well sourced. You can find Italian regional wines, with also a "good value for money" concept (their house wine is also very good. Peppe, the owner, has been in all these years extremely consistent and professional. He is a dedicated manager, with a strong passion for what he does. We went there by chance during our first year as La Smorfia was conveniently located right in front of our house, but we have always returned because of the warm atmosphere and the lovely food. Always felt as if we were at home. Highly recommended to anyone. Thank you and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I went to La Smorfia for the first time last week even though I have lived in the neighbourhood for a long time. I was very pleasantly surprised at the lovely food and excellent service we received. I am going there again this week. A real good find.

1  Thank APS1951
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The owner is very hands on and runs a tight shift. What impressed me most was the fact that if you want something, that is not on the menu, owner Pepe's answer is always "no problem...I make for you." Needless to say, we kept going back there.

1  Thank Beatrice M
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Pepe (owner and head waiter) never puts a foot wrong. Having worked in Naples, this is a taste from where they really know how to make a pizza and deliver service. We have never felt forgotten or abandoned, our mislaid property awaited our next visit, the atmosphere is informal enough for us to feel totally at home. And that is before I describe any of the food!

We have tasted all their pizzas over the 10 years we have come here, and we and our guests have revelled in each and every one – perfectly cooked on a proper tasty pizza dough base (thin and crispy), generously topped with creative as well as traditional recipes, from a big hot oven (so you don’t wait too long).

And their specials, fish or seafood, pasta or meat, salads and cheese all come with that authentic Neapolitan taste and panache. Helpings always generous, extras rapidly brought to the simple marble tables with no pretention and at a great price. I always ask for the Olio santo (chilli oil).

Special mentions should go to the house red wine, a big beautiful bargain Nero D'Avola (but walk home); to the Torta Caprese, a chocolate and almonds dessert/cake that only Neapolitans have the secret to making this good; and to the Pizza Trappola, a really varied and interesting, tasty and filling improvement on a Quattro Stagioni.

Families are welcome and made to feel at home whether young or old, tables are grouped to suit the size of your party, and the mood is more that of a meal in your garden at home than in a place where you pay. But we have brought business contacts and visiting tourists here, as well as children and friends, and coming here as a couple.

We moved away from West Hampstead 4 years ago, but still go back whenever we can. Our favourite restaurant in London.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

It's always full so we booked this time. Very friendly but terrible acoustics and intrusive music spoil the atmosphere. Wine was cheap and good. The bruschetta was tasteless and inedible. My pasta was less al dente and more undercooked and chewy. My friend's pizza was ok, nothing special. We won't be back.