“Business Stay”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Selby, United Kingdom
“Business Stay”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This Hotel was booked via work for a one night stay - The Website photos looked nice, these were taken of the Reception and Bar area...I always wonder why when no photos are shown of other main areas like the bedrooms....As you walked in the reception area and Bar was very 2012 - However, the bedrooms were very 1985! The Rooms were not pleasant, and in general need of updating - However the bath was the older styale design so allowed for a good stretch out.......

I had a room over looking the bar area/court yard Room 111 - were the kitchen generator hummed until late into the night, and my room had the sudden waft of chip smell every now and again - I didnt sleep well, the constant chatter of smokers from the bar, the smell of chips the hum of the generator - Not good!

No papers in the Hotel, unless you either walked to the shop for one or got the Hotel to order you one for the morning.

I wouldn't stay here again, only because I wont stay in the same Hotel twice - why would you?

Room Tip: Dont book a room over looking the outside smoking areas or bar/court yards........
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Supersmiffy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
st.helens
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Booked online via a booking agent.When I arrived there they said was no booking for me and blamed the agent,although to be fair it looks like was the case.Anyway was given a room quite quickly.The room I had chosen on booking stated a double bed.Mt room was very small and poorly furnished.The TV was an old style crt portable 14" there was a dvd player but it was not connected.I could not get any picture on the TV either.
I arrived after a long journey by coach from Liverpool and wanted a rest,but that was put paid to by the occupants of the building next door who were gutting the place and throwing wood to the ground from a 3rd floor window the noise was deafening.They were also burning rubbish and smoke was coming through my window.I had a wedding party to attend and returned to the hotel just after 12.I thought would be able to get a drink from the bar,but it was half full of kids who had connected a laptop to the tv and were playing music.One of them said no porter here -he has gone somewhere give me the money and I will leave it on till.Got my pint and decided to take it to my room-where on route was stopped by the porter asking if I had paid for the drink !!
Did not bother with breakfast,I just wanted to get out in the morning and left just after 10am.No one asked if I had enjoyed my stay or if all was ok,but I got the impression that it would not matter anyway.I would never visit there again sorry to say.

Room Tip: The work on the building next door but one looks like will be ongoing for some time -make sure you d...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank martin3030
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed here on business on 18th June.

As others have said the hotel is extremely dated decor wise, it also is quite dark inside the rooms and corridor areas.

The best thing by far are the staff. As others have said they are first rate and the best thing by far about the hotel. Other positives are that the room I stayed was clean and comfortable enough.

A word of warning however for travellers. The area is not great. On the way to the hotel a young lad tried to sell me a Doberman!! However worse was to come. At around 11.00pm the area became alive with siren, police cars, vans, dogs etc who were apprehending 2 lads suspecting of assault with a weapon. As the hotel is on the main road it was both unnerving and meant no sleep until about 1.30. To be fair the people in the area seemed largely great, but be aware that this is an area where you need to keep your wits about you.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Monkeyman1971
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Great hotel, great prices and fantastic staff. Susan on the front desk went out of her way to help us with a problem with our travel plans. The irish girl in the dining room couldn't have been more friendly. We felt like part of the family. Rooms were more than adequate and very clean, the only draw back was there was no lift....but we only had one flight of stairs....and I could do with the exercise! Would definitely stay again if we go back to Middlesbrough.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Me and my husband were married at this hotel last june, 2011, they did everything we asked, nothing was a problem, everything went to plan,we stayed in the maryland suit, it was great our own little pad, very clean and comfortable, the breakfast was 100%, the staff were very friendly, everything was spotless, we couldnt fault it in any way so well done th baltimore

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We were originally booked into Best Western but as they were closed we were rebooked into the Baltimore. The hotel is currently changing ownership, and our bedroom was in need of some modernisation. However, room 122 was a very good size with a liltle writing bureau - useful for applying makeup, and a modern and spotless bathroom. It faces the front but the noise from the road was hardly noticeable thanks to efficient double-glazing. The huge plus was the friendliness and willingness of the staff. The full breakfast was much better than we've had elsewhere. Super proper sausages, perfect poached eggs [two each] and excellent fried potatoes. We left with a feeling of well being.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple