“Good but not perfect”
Review of Baltimore Hotel

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Hotel itself is clean and modern with good facilities, plenty of on-site parking, staff are very good, attentive and friendly, breakfast and choice of food for evening meals was good - when restaurant was open [see later comments].Would stay here again if in the area.

Unfortunately a few factors do let it down though.

The surrounding area is run down and an evening stroll would note adjacent building works, closed and vacant shops and a general appearance of a poor environment.
The room we had,129, was a double but the use of a king size bed whilst being comfortable meant there was only a 9" [225mm] gap either side making an assault course of getting into bed.
We had proposed entertaining some local family members to a meal in the rather glamorous restaurant with a menu to match; being part of the reason for choosing the Baltimore. However, on the Friday night we were told the chef was having a night off but would be back the following day. We changed our arrangements to suit but then found the restaurant was still closed for evening meals the following night but with no prior warning or notices to that effect- not impressed.
Ended up in the local Toby Carvery- not quite the same!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
BaltimoreHotel, Manager at Baltimore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

All the rooms within the hotel are different shapes and sizes and all have our fabulous super king size beds. When you return in the future please call direct to the hotel and we can accommodate you with one of out larger rooms where possible.
The Building work adjacent to the hotel will be a restaurant within the next few months which we are all looking forward opening. The local shops are all occupied, some of which are open during the day and some on a night which may of gave you the appearance of them being vacant.
The restaurant menu within the hotel is available 5 days of the week these days change depending on occupancy within the hotel. Food is available every night and can be served in both the bar and restaurant. I'm sorry that you thought you weren't able to dine with us but I can assure you this was not the case.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Baltimore Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Booked to stay here for 1 night as going to see a band at the empire. Very friendly and accommodating staff on arrival. Beautiful clean reception with ornate decoration and not a speck of dust to be seen. Room 116 with an absolutely huge bed ..... Lovely bathroom also. Would definitely stay at this modern boutique hotel again , well worth the price of 65 pound double room with breakfast. Thank you to all the staff :-)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely comments.
All of our rooms in the Baltimore are decorated & furnished to the same high standard. Hopefully you will be back soon to see us again.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed Thursday 25th July - room 121 very clean and tidy. Food was very good (evening meal and breakfast). Good bar with outside seating as well. An oasis in a desert !
Will use it again if in the area

Room Tip: No hesitation use it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
BaltimoreHotel, Manager at Baltimore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The Baltimore Hotel.
Room 121 is one of our single bedded rooms within the hotel so I'm happy that after the negative feedback on the last review that is nice a positive.
A lot of time and effort has gone into out outside bar patio area and what can be nicer than enjoying it on a lovely sunny day.
Hopefully we will see you back again soon
Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel was clean and in good condition and clearly has had some work done. However, I was staying in the smallest room I've seen for a while. For example, there was no room to open up my case and when I pulled the chair out form the desk I hit the bed! The bathroom was new and very clean. However, the sink was tiny and I was too big for the shower. (Granted, I am 6 ft 3). However, it was the bed that was the real problem as what ever angle I lay at, I couldn't fit myself in. I went to the desk to see if I could move and I was told by the (small) man on the desk that the room was 'spacious' and that I couldn't move as the hotel was fully booked. However, when I enquired again in the morning I found out that there were only 12 rooms occupied. Not impressed.

However, breakfast was lovely and all the other staff were great and most helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tartanboots
BaltimoreHotel, Manager at Baltimore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

First of all im sorry that we weren't able to move you to a large room when you requested, Im sure that if we had availability and you were willing to pay for the upgrade this would of been possible.
Our single rooms as exactly as advertised and this is reflected in the price. The singles are always the first rooms to sell out as they are so reasonable, this is no doubt the reason you booked the single over the double in the first place. I would recommend that if you return in future you pay the additional small cost to have a double as these are all super kingsize beds.
I will of course speak to the staff member in question to make sure that he can try to be more accommodating in future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014

For the price this was pretty good. Not top of the range and it's not hard to nit-pick but I'd certainly stay here again. Looks like it has been recently refurbished, certainly the en suite bathroom was sparkly new {although the shower was one of those fine tuned ones that go from hot to cold with a one degree turn of the handle.

Breakfast was boxed cereals, with little choice and the hot option was just ok (overall, an Ulster Fry score of 5/10)

Staff were great.

Room Tip: Creaky floors mean that a top floor room might be best
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
BaltimoreHotel, Manager at Baltimore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your review.

The hotel has been reopen since September 2013 after a extensive refurbishment. Since then we have had nothing but good feedback on the work that has been carried out.

All the rates at the hotel offer a complimentary breakfast and im sure you will agree that this cant be grumbled at even if we did only score 5/10 on your "Ulster Fry score".

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A not unpleasant stay for one night on business with my wife. The hotel decor is very modern though the corridors are a bit plain. The rooms are very small to be doubles but that is understandable given the history of the building. The hotel was also very clean, I found the staff to be very friendly, helpful and proffesional. The only downside to the whole experience was that the music played at breakfast was intrusive and inapropriate. The guests all seemed to be middle aged so is it neccessary to be playing rap music over the toast and coffee. Altogether though I would certainly use the baltimore again

Room Tip: Don't take to much luggage.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Harry1604
Management response:Responded 31 May 2014

Thank you for taking time to review The Baltimore Hotel.
The whole hotel has been through a recent refubishment and we are very pleased with the results, im happy you agree.
As for your comment regarding the "rap music" i can assure you we dont play this at the hotel. The music is modern easy listening and has been carefully selected to be played at the the hotel. Im sorry if this was not to your taste.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Baltimore Hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

After using a Travelodge on past visits to the area I'm now questioning myself why I've not stayed at the Baltimore before. Superb welcoming service and excellent value for money for half the cost! The room was modern, comfortable and spotless plus free WiFi with great full signal too! so we'll definitely be staying here again. The breakfast was served promptly and what made things even greater was a wonderful late check out time of midday. Thank you so much !

• Stayed: May 2014
Management response:Responded 31 May 2014

What a fantastic review thank you for your comments.
We think its important to get the little things right like the Wifi connectivity and the later check out. These things make the difference and are at no extra cost here unlike other hotels.
Hopefully you will choose us over the Travel Lodge on your next visit to Middlesbrough.