“Relax, chilli out and wait”

Jamal's Fine Indian Restaurant
Ranked #44 of 310 Restaurants in Middlesbrough
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Food prepared to your taste by the owner of the restaurant, where else would you find that. If you are in a hurry, it is the wrong place, try a fast food chain. Probably the best Indian restaurant in Middlesbrough and much better than the food served in Bradford.

3  Thank davidMiddlesbrough

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Please don't believe people who visit once, don't even sample the food and leave without even ordering. I have eaten here for so many years and the food is great. Well seasoned and perfectly spiced. Jamal is a great chef. If the restaurant is busy, you may have to wait a little while but hey if you want fast food go to McDonald's or cook chill microwave Akbars.

1  Thank mariafergy
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently visited, waited 10 minutes before being offered a drink. Had to ask to order poppadums. Waited 15 minutes after that for 2 drinks. No poppadoms arrived. Another waiter attended the table to take my order to which I politely asked how long he meal would take as we had cinema tickets. To which the reply was screamed at me that he did not serve cinema goers. Given the restaurant is directly opposite the cinema and his business will be the high footfall going to and from the cinema this is very hard to believe. He proceeded to shout at me and my partner that he had been there 18 years. With such a despicable attitude and lack of customer service I am lead to believe this restaurant will not be open for much longer. The decor is somewhat of the 80's era and stuck in its ways. The table mats were dirty and the tables cramped for a place with roughly 7 seating areas. After being treat in such a poor way I did not wish to eat here and asked to pay for the drinks. To which he refused to take payment by card. I said he could take the payment as it was over the £5 minimum spend. £5.20 for 2 cokes is riduculous, after telling him he should accept the best payment by card or take nothing. He then ushered me to the till and took the payment. The diners on the next table agreed the service was disgusting and he should not be speaking to a lady in such a manner. This restaurant may have beautiful dishes but fear of being verbally attacked I strongly advise you to think twice about going here and then walk on by.

5  Thank Bulldog596
Jamal C, Marketing Manager at Jamal's Fine Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hi,

As a business we are very upset that your experience was deemed so bad.

We have clearly stated on our website that

' A truly wonderful experience backed by merit of excellence from Trip Advisor and hundreds of online review’s, now mean that between the hours of 6.30pm and 8.30pm you might find yourself with a slight wait for your food to be cooked to order.'

This is due to the fact we do not reheat the food as many of our competitors it is all done freshly to order, No one can cook food from scratch in five minutes, we are not a 'ping restaurant'

We try and keep everything authentic as possible in relation to the country we represent and keep our costs down by not doing fancy decoration throughout. We are currently looking for constructive feedback to make out long established business better, and work will begin shortly on the ceiling design we currently have.

My waiter is in his first week in the job and my apologies if he meet your expectations on this visit. By not having lots of staff, we can keep your meal costs sensible and when one person is missing it does put a strain on the restaurant when someone is new. My sincere apologies again.

I find it hard to see how you have rated us 1 out of 5 for the food, when you didnt sample any. We use Trip Advisor seriously, and work on the feedback individually. 1 out of 5 for food is impossible to improve as you cannot direct us in the way you would improve the food.

You cannot presume that we will not be around for another 18 years and this gives the indication that we are closing, which we are definitely not, also it your view that we won't be around and you cannot damage our business this way by your opinion and not FACT. We have a large returning clientele and many have been visiting for nearly two decades, we will have mishaps and make mistakes, we are human not robots. We will take your feedback on board and address the service issues.

Jamal

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The personal touch from Mr Jamal and his pleasant staff makes the evening. A perfectly cooked meal, Be prepared he doesn't serve fast food, just quality food as fast as he can. First class, many thanks!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Jamal's Middlesbrough- I went with a few work colleagues and although we were late the staff were ever so friendly. Food was reasonably priced but most importantly it was delicious! One of my colleagues asked for something that wasn't on the menu and the chef was more than happy to do it.

I will definitely be returning and I have already recommended this restaurant to friends and family.