“Dirty and decrepit hotel with rude staff”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Dirty and decrepit hotel with rude staff”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I regularly stay in the North East for business reasons and usually stay at the Thistle in Middlesbrough, due to the lateness of my booking I opted for this place.
Pulled up to the hotel quite late, around 22.45 to be told that food was finished; ok thats fine but most hotels do an all night sandwich service which is all I was after. However, I can't really hold this against them, just their policy I guess.
What I can hold against them though was the quality of the room, which at first sight didn't look too bad. Once inside however, the smell was terrible which along with the stained carpet wasnt a great start.
I unpacked and went to put my wash bag in the bathroom; the first thing to note was the plaster like substance filling the basin. The second was the smell of damp and the mould on what could laughingly be called the vanity unit, which was falling apart with rot.
Another thing which concerned me was the general cleanliness of the room, the toilet rim had dried-on matter on it which looked like urine, this seriously put me off and quite honestly, I found it disgusting and unbelieveable considering the quality of housekeeping generally found in hotel chains today.
The room was also very cold, unfortunately I stayed on a night with heavy wind and the existing old wooden sash windows didnt stop the gusts coming straight in to the room. My room was situated directly over the entrance and the arc light they use to illuminate the sign shone through my window all night, disturbing my sleep.
one other little niggle was that the old fashion television was on a stand too low to the floor to be able to be watched easily from the bed.
Overall the room smelled, was damp and dirty and I find it amazing that national hotel chains feel they can still get away with this kind of quality anymore, it is like a throw back to the 80's when you were lucky with what you got, however for £89 per night it was completely unacceptable, particularly when compared to a Premier Inn which is far superior quality compared to this dump.

The following morning I went to breakfast which was served in an adjoining Italian restaurant. The hotel is clearly quiet as there were only two other travellers apart from myself dining. Distinct lack of staff and I wandered around for a good five minutes looking for a server before i found one who directed me to a table next to the kitchen. I have to say that the cooked breakfast I received was one of the best I have had on the road, however I had to go and find my own cup and butter, both of which i had to get from a nearby table.

Breakfast over I checked out and was greeted by a surly receptionist, I noticed she asked the chap in front of me how his stay had been but when she got to me she didnt bother asking, maybe she already knew. Not a single please or thankyou, paid my bill and she threw my receipt on the counter and turned to leave.

Ok why didnt I complain? Well at nearly midnight, and dog tired from being on the road all day, I didnt think a could stand getting in to an argument with the night porter; I fully intended to complain in the morning but after the dragon treatment I decided to give it a miss and write this instead, I had a full day driving in the North East before returning home in the evening and I didnt want this crumby dump to ruin my day; life is too short.

Pictures enclosed but not great quality due to being from my Blackberry

Room Tip: Look elsewhere, maybe try your car
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank davidpridmore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

A really nice old fashioned hotel. The greeting I had from reception was excellent, the dining room staff equally so. The room was really nice with a bed that could have coped with about ten on it! Slightly olde worlde but I quite like that.
Supper in the Italian restaurant was delightful, garlic mushrooms which were really nice and a nice marinara pasta, not too much but just enough to know you have eaten. Shame there was only one draught lager which I dont like so no drinks taken.
After telling reception on booking out that I was delighted with the hotel, I probably should have waited until the nightmare of breakfast. Creature of habit that I am, I ordered a full english with a soft poached egg and sat back expectantly and a little smug at finding such a delightful place. What a shock, the tea was stewed, instantly replaced by a fresh pot. Breakfast took 25 minutes, no problem, cooked fresh except the bacon was baked (IN MIDDLESBROUGH????) and had yellow fat, the sausage looked like chef had run down it with a brown pen about 2mm thick, grey and insipid. The poached egg was hard. For goodness sake, in MIddlesbrough of all places, baked bacon as tough as shoe leather, grey sausage and a hard poached egg - totally astonished. Because of the staff I will rate this as an average who kept it up from poor. The Boro lads I knew from the army didnt strike me as people who have their bacon baked, yellow fat and like shoe leather but we live and learn. In Middlesbrough too!!!

Room Tip: The rooms arent the problem if you like Olde Worlde, I find them most comfortable and very clean. Br...
Callander
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Stayed just the one night. Room clean enough but peeling wallpaper on the ceiling and a TV too low on the floor to be watchable from the bed without gymnastics let it down. The internet was also not working. I gave the Restaurant a miss - A cheap pizza may be great value but its not what I'm looking for in a hotel. The Bar was awful. Fake leather benches with peeling surfaces, two TVs on seperate channels competeing with each other so it was impossible to watch either and a poor choice of beers. Woken by the cleaners before I'd got out of bed :-(
No way is this place worth the listed room-rate.

2 Thank Gene M
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed for two nights. Room wasn't ready when we arrived but cleaners got straight at it. Clean, modern room. Friendly staff, not the best location. Ate in restaurant both nights. Food excellent and superb value for money, worth going back just for the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2011
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed on the 19 & 20th Sept, after watching the Great North Run! Lovely room, lovely staff! Superb meal very reasonably priced! A breath of fresh air, in these hard economic times!! Jen Powell

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Stayed for one night whilst away on business basically a good comfortable hotel, great breakfast, pleasant staff.

yorkshire
Reviewed 27 September 2011

stayed just the 1 night on business intresting set up here the hotel and a italian resteraunt
are together in the same block did not eat in on the evening but it seems a very popular spot for diners plenty of tables outside giving it a nice ambiance
rooms can vary some are more modern but all in all very clean well equipped and free wi fi
a must for the business traveller
staff were exellent reception most helpful in all aspects of the hotel services breakfast good but again the staff were brilliant nothing was too much trouble even for a awkward customer like my work colleague who also stayed
overall good hotel good location (close to town centre to walk in)great staff
straw bear

Room Tip: book as this is a very busy hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business