“Value for the price”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Value for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I recently stayed here for one night, the room was large, very clean and comfortable though a bit dated, all in all for the price great value.
A travel cot was provided for my daughter which very clean & came with extra sheets - which I thought was a nice touch. The staff could not have been any more helpful, especially the manageress.
The hotel is above a pub/restaurant were we stayed for dinner & breakfast both of which were lovely.
For me the only downside was that the hotel didn't have a separate entrance from the pub/restaurant (as it was busy/loud) but this wouldn't put me off staying again.
There is a great park about 5 min walk from the hotel, Albert Park, it had a lake & nice play area, I would say its worth a walk around.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We sometimes go here for breakfast during the week and it sone of the nicest in middlesbrough. Huge portion sizes and great value. Service can be a little slow for hot drinks but thats not a problem if your not in a hurry. Nice and spacious with comfy furniture. Toady we bought our drinks from the Macmillan Coffee Morning that they were supporting. Amazing when places help with charity so a massive thumbs up and the homemade cakes we just the sweetest. Go visit if you want yummy breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Breakfast was very nice, room was clean and spacious. Large parking lot and free of charge.
They have a restaurant and a pub, we were hot in our rm and they provided a fan for us, with no hesitation. Staff was very nice and it was a very happy atmosphere. We were glad we stayed here and it was a great location as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We took our 8 year old son here for a birthday tea at his request after he had eaten there with his basketball team a couple of weeks earlier. When we went to pick him up on that occasion we were impressed by the surroundings and menu choice / price so were quite happy to return for his birthday a few weeks later.

On our visit we were warmly welcomed by the staff behind the bar, who were being distracted by a large family with kids running wild / being loud / and being loudly told off as I was trying to order. despite this the female member of staff took what I thought was a complicated order with ease so we sat down for what on face value looked like a good value feed.

This is where the good bit ends unfortunately. 45 minutes later and after seeing at least two tables who ordered well after us be served, some food arrived, namely two tubs of ice cream for the kids (before we had eaten anything else).

When the food did arrive my wifes fish and chips were lukewarm and came with garden peas instead of Mushy peas. I know this is picky but after waiting so long we were hoping for it to be right. When the plate was returned there was still evidence of the other peas and the slice of lemon was red hot from the microwave warm up. It was also minus the bread and butter which had obviously been taken off whilst being warmed.

Very dissappointing. My meal was quite nice if unspectacular but this is a Hungry Horse so we werent expecting cord en bleu.

To be fair to the staff they offered a free dessert in lieu of a poor meal that took for ever to come but another 20 minutes later we actually ended up with a refund for the desserts the kids didnt get due to being sick of waiting.

The reasons given were a large birthday party had clogged up the system which is fair enough but other diners should have been made aware of this and certainly others were fed quicker than us.

In summary very disappointed as it was a special meal and I had high hopes for the place having seen the work done on its general appearance. Maybe we were just unlucky on the night but I would recommend any future diners check for large groups or kids parties before ordering.

The final nail in the coffin, my 8 year old son apologising to us for asking to come to the highfield for his birthday. Says it all really

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Large clean room, plentiful supplies, good breakfast with plenty of choice and attentive and friendly staff. Good value bar with snacks and free wifi. Handy for town centre. Large free car park. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
St Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the BW Middlesbrough Hotel for two nights. Was offered a free upgrade to a larger room on the ground floor on arrival. I was a bit dubious when I had to access the room via the bar but it was very quiet and I wasn't disturbed at all.
The room was of a good size and of a good standard, the only thing missing was a safe to put my laptop in. The staff were friendly and happy to help.

Breakfast was good, although not huge selection, and supplied with a big pot of tea (what more could you ask for).

The pub is a Greene King Hungry Horse so the place was of kids so didn't really let me work outside of my room (despite free 'The Cloud' wifi with good coverage throughout). The food is cheap but everything came as a massive portion - be warned if you are trying to be good! There isn't anything else apart from a Toby carvery down the road unless you drive.

I'd happily stay again if I was visiting nearby again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here a couple of times, just for the odd night. The hotel staff are polite and helpful, with the rooms clean and relatively spacious. Plenty of tea and coffee too. The rooms are quiet considering there is the pub downstairs. There isn't a lift though, so if you struggle with stairs it may be a problem.

• Stayed June 2013