“best western hotel the highfield”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Ok we all know that Best Westerns vary quite a bit and this one is no different. The rooms are OK, mine had virtually no natural light, just a small window in a dark corner overlooking the bins.
The room cleanliness and comfort was OK, yes I have a choice but my business is at the hospital very near by.
My biggest nightmare was on arrival when I saw that the restaurant had been franchised to hungry horse .
This has to be the worst chain anywhere, pile it high, poorly cooked, greasy badly sourced food. It was full of uncontrolled noisy grubby rude kids with bloated tattoo covered guardians in shell suits, yes chavs ! I waited two hours for them to thin out before eating, there is no where else in this area other than take aways and a Toby Carvery, but it was still rammed. I ordered a steak, maybe silly idea, but I just thought it would be the least complicated to cook and least likely to be spoiled. Wrong, I must have misread the menu I thought it read " all beef aged for 21 days" not 21 years.
Anyhow , the hotel would have scored better but over £100 for bed , dinner and breakfast with the worst food ever rubbish. Even for £30 it would still have been the same review.
Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My son and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights so he could attend the university's open day. It was perfectly located for this purpose - approximately a 20 minute walk or five minute drive. The room provided (room 7) was rather small and had the smallest window over looking a brick wall and what looked like some gas cannisters, but it wasn't the view I chose the hotel for. The room was perfectly clean and provided all amenities necessary for a comfortable stay. The hotel is part of a Hungry Horse pub so with a teenager in tow, this was perfect! The rooms were separate from the pub part, and so once you were in your room, there was no disturbance. This said, some of the hotel's guests were noisy - out of the management's control but annoying nonetheless! Driving to the hotel I was a little anxious about driving through Middlesbrough on unfamiliar roads, however, the property is literally five minutes off the motorway. I will definitely be using the property again if my son does chose to go to the university next year. Good value for money!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
alimiss
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights while visiting my son at university. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room was large and comfortable. My only critisism was dust in the bathroom extractor fan but this seems a common fault in hotels. Breakfast was a little disappointing but everything else was good. A problem with the room key card system was dealt with efficiently by the duty receptionist and we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed here for one night while in town for business. My room was fairly small and the decor quite dated. There were a couple of very naff and extremely faded pictures on the walls. The carpet was spotted with numerous grubby marks and frayed in a couple of places. But it was clean and the bed was comfy. The room was very warm and far too warm for me. But the radiator was easily adjustable and the window opened so it was soon just right.
The breakfast wasn't bad, not the best I've had but along way from the worst. I had a full cooked breakfast but there's plenty of choice with options such as a bacon sandwich or beans on toast. There's also a buffet of fruit, pastries, cereals and toast.
The Hungry Horse restaurant downstairs is a cheap and cheerful affair. The food was excellent for the price and I got 3 courses and a drink from my £25 business meal allowance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I recently stayed here for one night, the room was large, very clean and comfortable though a bit dated, all in all for the price great value.
A travel cot was provided for my daughter which very clean & came with extra sheets - which I thought was a nice touch. The staff could not have been any more helpful, especially the manageress.
The hotel is above a pub/restaurant were we stayed for dinner & breakfast both of which were lovely.
For me the only downside was that the hotel didn't have a separate entrance from the pub/restaurant (as it was busy/loud) but this wouldn't put me off staying again.
There is a great park about 5 min walk from the hotel, Albert Park, it had a lake & nice play area, I would say its worth a walk around.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family