Highfield Hotel
US$126
  • Restaurant
Longlands Hotel(Middlesbrough)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshungry horse restaurantbusy pubbathroom lightpowerful showerfriendly hotelcomfy bedtea and coffeeweekend breakfamily roomplenty of parkinggreat value for moneytown centrecleaners
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My room reservation was incorrect on arrival so after being settled into a room, the management asked me to change which I did without fuss..
Second room was much smaller but fine for a business trip, room was generally clean but needed a good dusting, I actually wrote clean me on the bedside lamp base thats how thick the dust was.

at best the hotel would be average, the aspects that disapointed me the most were as follows,

the bed was very old and the mattress offered no support, I felt like I rolled into the middle of the bed, it was so bad I had my worse nights sleep ever so much so the following day I drifted off during a meeting...

the room lighting was dingy, I felt it would of been more appropriate in a seedy brothel, terrible lighting no way was I going to chance working and getting eye strain.

the chair was all loose and creaked and groaned, I was expecting it to collapse.

and finally, the heating system.....ah yes what can I say, this is the only building I have ever stayed in where you can hear the water rushing through the heating system, its terrible, it sounds like the water is under high pressure as the flow rate through the radiator must be at least 5 meters a second, its similar to being next door to a generator plant. This kept me and my colleagues awake both nights. Just shocking....

staff were friendly, food was typical of a hungry horse, pretty good. Breakfast wasnt anything to write home about, breakfast service was poor.

would I stay here again....?

Definately not.... too many bad memories, must be one of the worst I have stayed at.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms me and my colleagues occupied seemed to suffer the same fate, dark poorly lit rooms with noisy radiators.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 29 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Ok we all know that Best Westerns vary quite a bit and this one is no different. The rooms are OK, mine had virtually no natural light, just a small window in a dark corner overlooking the bins.
The room cleanliness and comfort was OK, yes I have a choice but my business is at the hospital very near by.
My biggest nightmare was on arrival when I saw that the restaurant had been franchised to hungry horse .
This has to be the worst chain anywhere, pile it high, poorly cooked, greasy badly sourced food. It was full of uncontrolled noisy grubby rude kids with bloated tattoo covered guardians in shell suits, yes chavs ! I waited two hours for them to thin out before eating, there is no where else in this area other than take aways and a Toby Carvery, but it was still rammed. I ordered a steak, maybe silly idea, but I just thought it would be the least complicated to cook and least likely to be spoiled. Wrong, I must have misread the menu I thought it read " all beef aged for 21 days" not 21 years.
Anyhow , the hotel would have scored better but over £100 for bed , dinner and breakfast with the worst food ever rubbish. Even for £30 it would still have been the same review.
Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My son and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights so he could attend the university's open day. It was perfectly located for this purpose - approximately a 20 minute walk or five minute drive. The room provided (room 7) was rather small and had the smallest window over looking a brick wall and what looked like some gas cannisters, but it wasn't the view I chose the hotel for. The room was perfectly clean and provided all amenities necessary for a comfortable stay. The hotel is part of a Hungry Horse pub so with a teenager in tow, this was perfect! The rooms were separate from the pub part, and so once you were in your room, there was no disturbance. This said, some of the hotel's guests were noisy - out of the management's control but annoying nonetheless! Driving to the hotel I was a little anxious about driving through Middlesbrough on unfamiliar roads, however, the property is literally five minutes off the motorway. I will definitely be using the property again if my son does chose to go to the university next year. Good value for money!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family