“Awful Experience”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Awful Experience”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel two weeks ago on business. From the moment I arrived it was can I say being as positive as possible disastrous. Upon arrival there was no one at reception eventually I was assisted by the Manageress an extremely rude and abrupt lady named Frances, I have never met anyone with such terrible people skills. The room I was allocated was unfit for a dog, with damp and mould on the ceiling and behind the bed. The food was basic but edible and the staff in the pub were much better than the Manageress and gave superb service. I have a contract in Middlesbrough for Twelve months along with 12 members of my team, I will most certainly not be choosing this horror hotel for my return visits. And I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JULIE W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Horrible rooms horrible bar horrible food but the rude manageress is more horrible than all of the horribleness put together.
I came here on business with a group of 9 - booking was chaotic we had to keep re confirming then they got it wrong and charged us for 10 rooms. We had to get early trains they said early breakfast Woudnt be a be a problem then it was a big problem- oh and did I mention the aggressive manageress?

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Just checked in to the Hungry Horse and everything seemed ok until the bar sudden closed at 1105 with no warning. 'Go to a local bar' was the suggestion- 'but we're residents and it's 1105' - was our reply. Hopeless

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mattsterp
Runcorn
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My room reservation was incorrect on arrival so after being settled into a room, the management asked me to change which I did without fuss..
Second room was much smaller but fine for a business trip, room was generally clean but needed a good dusting, I actually wrote clean me on the bedside lamp base thats how thick the dust was.

at best the hotel would be average, the aspects that disapointed me the most were as follows,

the bed was very old and the mattress offered no support, I felt like I rolled into the middle of the bed, it was so bad I had my worse nights sleep ever so much so the following day I drifted off during a meeting...

the room lighting was dingy, I felt it would of been more appropriate in a seedy brothel, terrible lighting no way was I going to chance working and getting eye strain.

the chair was all loose and creaked and groaned, I was expecting it to collapse.

and finally, the heating system.....ah yes what can I say, this is the only building I have ever stayed in where you can hear the water rushing through the heating system, its terrible, it sounds like the water is under high pressure as the flow rate through the radiator must be at least 5 meters a second, its similar to being next door to a generator plant. This kept me and my colleagues awake both nights. Just shocking....

staff were friendly, food was typical of a hungry horse, pretty good. Breakfast wasnt anything to write home about, breakfast service was poor.

would I stay here again....?

Definately not.... too many bad memories, must be one of the worst I have stayed at.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms me and my colleagues occupied seemed to suffer the same fate, dark poorly lit rooms with...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Ok we all know that Best Westerns vary quite a bit and this one is no different. The rooms are OK, mine had virtually no natural light, just a small window in a dark corner overlooking the bins.
The room cleanliness and comfort was OK, yes I have a choice but my business is at the hospital very near by.
My biggest nightmare was on arrival when I saw that the restaurant had been franchised to hungry horse .
This has to be the worst chain anywhere, pile it high, poorly cooked, greasy badly sourced food. It was full of uncontrolled noisy grubby rude kids with bloated tattoo covered guardians in shell suits, yes chavs ! I waited two hours for them to thin out before eating, there is no where else in this area other than take aways and a Toby Carvery, but it was still rammed. I ordered a steak, maybe silly idea, but I just thought it would be the least complicated to cook and least likely to be spoiled. Wrong, I must have misread the menu I thought it read " all beef aged for 21 days" not 21 years.
Anyhow , the hotel would have scored better but over £100 for bed , dinner and breakfast with the worst food ever rubbish. Even for £30 it would still have been the same review.
Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business