“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Date of stay 09-Aug-14 The hotel pub was full when we arrived with a lot of drunken loud groups of people - However I am not one to judge a hotel on it's guests. We often travel to Middlesbrough and have passed this hotel many times - What a mistake it was to book a room here - but never again!
We were in room 107 and the room must not have been decorated in 20years. You can literally smell the age of the décor as soon as you walk in the room, I wish I had read the other reviews before booking. There was a window/door on in the hall that was wide open, no lock on it not even a catch - this was wide open all night, I did point this out to the receptionist, she just looked at me and said she knew, she'd get it sorted - it was still the same as we hastily left the next morning.
The reason we left so quickly was because we both woke up covered in flea bites, I went to the reception and told the guy working there, his only response was ''oh sorry, I'll make sure tonight's guests are moved from that room' ?? ....that was it!! I have written to Best Western who advise the room is not infested with fleas - that the rooms were refurbished with new carpets 5 weeks ago...and that basically - this is untrue - obviously they are quite happy to loose customers and ever read these reviews - if you want a filthy dated flea ridden hotel - this one would be perfect for you !! I would recommend the Premier inn or The Blue Bell, if cleanliness and great customer service is what you expect !

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank newroseLH
Faversham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel needs a bit of TLC, but is liveable in. The bed was comfortable, but had a winter duvet on it in July. There were loose floor tiles in the bathroom, the shower door leaked onto the floor, and the fan was louder than a helicopter. The worst point is the Hungry Horse eatery attached to the hotel. It is very bad, eat somewhere else. The hotel offered poor value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Vlakas
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Upon arrival we were told we had been upgraded to a 'premium room'...thank goodness because I can only assume the step down would be a damp cellar. The walls are paper thin, I got woken up by neighbouring rooms flushing toilets all night, and once by a sneeze! Any soundproofing is needed. The blinds are broken, the springs in the bed are broken, the bathroom is occupied by spiders and I am booking in elsewhere for my second night. Awful hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lbr48

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Huge bay window open when walking in, net blowing with the wind. Smelt old and dirty. Carpet looked 20 years old and had bits all over it. Pillows had stains on when removing the cover, no protectors. I did not sleep in this hotel because the bedding smelt so bad and had no volume to it. I could not even take my shoes off. When I cleaned my teeth in the morning and tried to wash, I had to walk away from the sink from the overwhelming smell of piss.
The breakfast was average although no one greeted you or explained the operation. Although I already felt disgusted from the night I had had, the staff were less than till operators in their contact. Dated an dirty, not like the bar and restaurant downstairs.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 8Marie
Saltaire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business and generally I am used to larger chain hotels for business trips. When I pulled up in the taxi, I noticed this hotel was part of the Hungry Horse family restaurant chain and my expectations were that this was more focused on being a cheap family pub than a hotel. I was greeted by exceptional reception staff and a very modern comfy room better than some larger hotels. Food in restaurant was great quality and exceptional value. Great night's sleep and then treated by good quality breakfast and efficient and welcoming staff. Could not fault this hotel and will definitely stay again when on business. Exceeded my expectations and the owners should be very proud of the customer service and their staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business