“Pleasant enough”

The Olde Young Tea House
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Middlesbrough
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a Tea house stocking over 100 World Teas. Along with freshly baked scones and cakes baked in-store with freshly made sandwiches and homemade food.
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Called in during my lunch hour yesterday having never really noticed it before...wasn't even sure it was a cafe from the exterior as it looks very small.

It has that constructed quaintness that seems to allow owners to hike the prices up a bit. Mismatched tables, chairs with cushions, heaps of stuff and curious pictures from the stars of yesteryear! Not unpleasant but I wasn't sold on being in an authentic quintessential English tea shoppe somehow. Advertising tea-pot shaped earrings didn't help. And a very unusual mix of rather intrusive background music ranging from Elvis to warbling ballads of the 60's.

The waitress was very pleasant but seemed a little flustered. I had a nice but unremarkable plate of beef sandwiches (not home cooked beef just the shop bought thin slices) and a little pot of crisps for £3. The tea was presented in a nice single pot with a proper China teacup and saucer (Yorkshire tea) which I enjoyed very much. Only one home made cake on display, a Milky Way cake. It was very moist and tasty but I'd somehow expected a bigger choice. There were scones and Chelsea buns but I'm not sure they were homemade.

In honesty the bagels and quiche with salad dishes looked more appealing, I don't think I chose well but felt a bit under pressure to be quick choosing from a board by the counter.

It wasn't much more than a Costa lunch and the ambiance was better with meals brought to the table. Yes I'd use it again if I could get a seat.

My advice would be to keep it authentic and offer as many home made products as possible.

1  Thank julesTeesValley
There are newer reviews for The Olde Young Tea House

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Twice now I have attempted to visit and both times been turned away for not having a reservation. Very bad business; I will not be trying a third time. I just can't get my head round needing a reservation for a tea shop. I shall spend my money elsewhere thank you.

3  Thank Trollfest
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have been here twice now, since following them on Instagram and seeing their gorgeous cakes.
This place is really nice and friendly and. Really reasonably priced. I asked the girls advice about teas they recommended and they really know their stuff!
I am wanting to return for afternoon tea!

1  Thank Medleymixture
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Went along with girlfriend and ordered one of the breakfast teas and a can of the lemon drink. Partner had a whoopie cake that was filled with coco pops... seriously?

The cakes are just so gimmicky adding silly things like popping candy and love hearts - it just takes a bit of class away and pidgeon holes this into a gimmic rather than a teahouse.

However, it really does have potential! And because of it being independent it should be supported... it is clearly a busy place but one thing that puts off customers is cleanliness.

I approached the counter and was met by an overworked and very flustered young lady with an absolute mountain by that i mean 50 odd used cups, plates, saucers occupying the sink behind the counter. It looked terrible and was off putting.

I guess i just expected too much, but if they get the basics right it would be even more of a big hitter in the town.

1  Thank Robbie I
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This little tea shop is brilliant it's like stepping back in time. Menu small but very good offerings and the tea is wonderful. Every type you could think of and outstanding tasting perfect cuppa.

1  Thank Ian C