“Always a delight”

The Olde Young Tea House
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Middlesbrough
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a Tea house stocking over 100 World Teas. Along with freshly baked scones and cakes baked in-store with freshly made sandwiches and homemade food.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Always a delight”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have been to the tea house on a number of occasions and every visit has been absolutely brilliant. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who likes tea, or cakes or even a sandwich or bagel. The staff always are very welcoming even though they are usually extremely busy. The small shop I would describe as cosy due to the atmosphere and the cups, mugs and plates just add to the personality of the tea house, and the personality just seems to fill you with joy.

The selection of teas can be a bit overwhelming at first, but after trying one you will find the issue is which to try next. The tea ladies are always clued up on the teas as well so if you know what teas you do like they are very capable of giving you some advice of what to try next. I find myself buying a bag of tea to take home with me more often than not its that nice.

The cakes, which some have said look gimmicky, are some of the best cakes I have ever had. They are very light and flavoursome and the only issue I have is they don't feel naughty to eat so I may over indulge a little ;) I also like the fact that everyday will have a different cake (so follow them on Facebook to have a heads up on when your favourite cakes are on).
The bagels are very nice too and better than any of the lunches at the coffee houses about.

I would recommend if visiting between 11-3, or in a larger group to make a reservation before hand as it can get very busy here.

1 Thank blue7heaven

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place for a cuppa”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have been here on many occasions and each time I found it brilliant. It is a nice place to a sit down and chat with friends over a cuppa. speaking of which they have loads of different varieties of tea that I never knew were made. I would normally go in and ask for a normal tea, but on my last visit I decided to be a rebel and went for one of the different and with some help from the waitress I managed to get something new that I liked. One of the main reasons that I go here is for the cake (which is amazing), they make fresh cakes every day and last time I have a malteaser cupcake.
All the staff are very friendly and make you feel welcome and have a laugh with the customers.
If you want a sit down with tea and cake in a nice place then this is for you.

1 Thank Stephen R
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Devine little tea shop”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Best cake..ever..in the world :) and lovely tea ladies serving lovely tea :) Massive selection of fabulous teas and fab lunches..

1 Thank Justine264
North Yorks
“Want to love it - staff need a lesson in customer service”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I love the look of this place and the idea is great in the central location however I have visited twice and both times been disappointed. Not with the tea as there is an interesting array to choose from, rather with the experience. The attitude of the staff has let it down, they are not very accommodating and welcoming. On the last occasion (mid morning) I just fancied coffee, my companion wanted tea. I asked the obviously overworked looking woman who was working alone, what type of coffee they have and was told " you've come to the wrong place, we specialise in tea" I knew that but just wanted to know how the coffee was, instant or filter etc! Then there are the cakes which are very un appealing. They seem gimmicky and more suited to a children's party. They always have things stuck to them, there was one with pretzels sticking out of the top which I noticed no one was choosing. I'd rather see traditional cakes like lemon and poppy seed, Victoria sponge etc. That would be far more exciting. There was also a sink full of dirty dishes which you can't help but see as it is on the other side of the counter which wasn't very pleasant. The overworked woman (although there were only 4 other people in) obviously hadn't had time to do them. Perhaps it'll be 3rd time lucky if I try again.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank mcmerry
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome tea, cake and atmosphere!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've been to The Olde Young Tea House several times now and I've always had a great experiance. The food and cake is always nice and fresh and you couldn't ask for any more choices for tea!

1 Thank MarcSteward