“A bag of Bertie Bassett's!!”

and 1 more site!
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on 6th September 2013. We were there for a wedding, which was all contained in the same grounds. The Hotel is easy to find and we found parking easy. We arrived slightly earlier than the official check in time, and understood our room may not be available. We were ok with this as the wedding started before our official check in time(2pm), andmy wife wanted to see her best friend before the event so we were prepared to dress in a spare room. Her room was called the Thornton suite and was very pleasant. Unfortunately, this was just a holding room until the 'Bridal Suite' was ready.

We were very pleased to be told that our room was ready a short time later, Our room was on the first floor and had been recently decorated. It was clean and tidy and perfectly adequate for our needs.

The wedding was fantastic, and would certainly recomend this venue. After the intial ceremony we were asked to vacate and go to the Bar area, which was called Poste House and was nicely done out. This was great to socialise with other guests as the dining room was being prepared. The wedding food was excellent and the staff friendly. Throughout the day guests could move between the bar and the dining room (which also had a bar).

We stayed for the inclusive breakfast, which was nice and hot. There was your usual mix of hot and cold breakfasts, but nursing a hangover, I plumped for the fry up. Before we left we said goodbye to the married couple and other guests. It became apparant that each room was very different. The bridal suite was very disappointing,(room 161). It wasn't even called The Bridal Suite. The room was actually smaller than ours and was at a lower spec. The 4 poster bed (I'm supposing this quantified it as being the bridal suite) was a DIY special. Decorated with a white ribbon. Shoddy really!!

Other guests rooms varied greatly, leaving us feeling that we had been pretty lucky. All in all, the wedding was great and the food was good. In terms of your room, it may be a lucky dip approach.....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at Sporting Lodge, Middlesbrough.

I am glad that the team at the Hotel were able to provide you with a bedroom as quickly as they could after your arrival and that you were happy with the room in which you were allocated.

With regards to the room in which the Bride and Groom were allocated, I can only apologise for the way in which the 'Bridal Suite' was presented to them and I have addressed this with the team.

We are gradually updating the bedrooms with new Windows, Carpets and Curtains and as you can imagine this is a costly process and something that will take time to fully complete.

I do however hope that you will return to the Sporting Lodge in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Louise Waters

There are newer reviews for Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Sporting Lodge and felt it was excellent value for money. The staff are friendly, and eager to please the guests. I enjoyed room service in a very comfortable room with an excellent bathroom where I could relax in a hot bath. The food was good too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Jade W, Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for your comments dated 15th September 2013

It is so nice to read you had such an enjoyable stay at the Sporting Lodge Inn and that the team were able to make this such a good stay for you.

I will certainly be passing on your positive comments to the rest of the team here at the Sporting Lodge Inn.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future where I am sure you will receive a just as warm and friendly welcome.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stay at the Sporting Lodge on a regular basis and i am happy to say that overall the hotel is worth the money.The facilities are excellent and the staff offer an excellent level of service,the food is of a high standard too so what more could you ask for.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Jade W, Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel It is always great to receive pleasant feedback and especially pleasing when guests pay compliment to good customer service as we do promote a strong customer service culture within the hotel.

The team and I do hope you will continue to visit us were you will always be welcome

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed here over new year had a band it was really good the bedroom and food was really nice even the breakfast staff really helpfully,we had a great stay over,it's was not that far from where live about thirty minutes drive so there wasn't to much driving.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our hotel and I’m so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us It is always great to receive pleasant feedback from our guests.

The team and I hope to see you back very soon for another enjoyable stay

Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I was unfortunate enough to be booked in by the company my employer uses for hotel bookings. I was due to stay a week, but left after 1 night.

The wallpaper in the room was peeling at several points in the room, the plug hole in the bath was all rusty, the bed sagged when sat on or lied upon. All the furniture was damaged in some way and was from the 70's by the looks of it. The bathroom had a stale smell to it. Also the wifi was "hit & miss" as the receptionist put it. Could not get phone signal in room either. The "complimentary" pencil, not pen, was chewed at the top by a previous guest(s).

The food served at the adjacent bar grill was lovely, the staff in the grill were superb during both evening & breakfast sittings.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I'm afraid.

• Stayed: September 2013
Jade W, Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you for comments dated 9th Sptember 2013

We welcome all guests comments to anable us to address any concerns and I can assure you we will certainly be acting upon your recent experience.

We are presently undergoing technical advancement to improve wifi stability which will give a greater connection this will be completed by the 19th september.It is also very disappointing to hear we did not meet your expectations with your accomadation on this occasion.
I can assure you that we are still continuing with the update of our hotel we have added 5 extra brand new executive rooms we also replaced all the TV's in the bedrooms, a further 5 bedroom carpets.

Thank you for your compliments on the service and food you recived in the bar and grill we strive to offer the best customer service and are pleased you found this to be the case.

I do hope we have the oppotunity to welcome you back as I would like to think you would have a much better experience next time as you will always be welcome.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

The biggest fault I could report is that the chicken liver parfait was served with two minuscule pieces of toast. Once the toast had gone, diners were required to eat the parfait on its own. The carvery was excellent, very hot and served with gorgeous gravy. The chocolate fudge cake was a little small and dry, but the apple pie and custard was delicious. The staff were most attentive and extremely professional.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I live in the Midlands and work as a Sales Manager for an engineering distributor covering the whole of the UK and stay away from home severel times a month. Whenever I am in the North of England I always stay at The Sporting Lodge in Middlesbrough.

I have been using this Hotel for about nine years, and although I have tried many Hotels in the Teeside, Newcastle and North Yorkshire area I have yet to find a better place to stay.

The staff at the hotel are always very friendly and keen to help with any requests I may have. The location of the Hotel means it is easy to get to as it is not in a city centre, it also means its a great base to to access all areas of the North as the roadlinks are fast and fairly central to the North East of England, so journeys to and from the hotel are usually troubel free in respect of traffic jams.Parking is never an issue as there is a very large hotel car park, and I have never had any problems parking at the Hotel.

The Hotel is also close to Yarm which is a very quaint small town with great pubs and places to eat, and I have visited there many times and always had an enjoyable night out.

The hotel has probably the best leisure facilities than any other hotel I use. The pool is large, very clean and has additional facilities with sauna and steam rooms and a good size Jacuuzi, which is great to wind down in after a long day. The gym is better than most standard health centres, and as is by far the best equiped hotel gym I have seen in the UK.

The standard rooms I usually use are modern and similar in decor and size to premier inn rooms. I have always found them to be clean and well maintained and very comfortable with good beds that are very comfortable . Over the years I have also used the hotel when visitings friends and collegues, and I have stayed in the hotel with my wife and used some of the premier rooms, these rooms are very well planned, large and luxurious. Having used most styles of different rooms at the hotel, the price compaired to other similar establishmenst is very competative.

Using the hotel mainly for business stays it is important for me to have good internet links, this has been continuosly improved and is fast and reliable and easy to access, and equally important, free with no additional surcharges.

I also use the bar facilities when entertaining customers, this is very well laid out, and has the feel of a detached high quality pub/bistro of a good size. There is also a resturant that is used by both residents and non residents and the food is a good standard. I usually book in for breakfast which is self service buffet style breakfast which includes the choice of a full english breakfast and continental brakfast which is also a good standard.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are planning a visit to the North East of England, as I have to many collegues and friends who have always enjoyed their stay.

Room Tip: Not had a bad room yet! ask for a premier room for a special occasion.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon B

Thank you for your kind comments, it is so pleasing to read fantastic comments especially that yourself and your colleagues always have a enjoyable stay here at sporting lodge and i do hope you will continue to visist us were I am sure you will receive just as warm and friendly welcome.

I will certainly be passing on your positive comments to the team here at the Sporting Lodge Inn.