“excellent value”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
“excellent value”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We booked a leisure weekend with the hotel and thought it was great value for the money.Two nights bed and breakfast a three course evening meal on the first night and a bottle of wine on the second if we had dinner in the hotel.The cost was £120.The breakfast was very good and the dinner was excellent.Ok parts of the hotel looked a little tired and dated but the room we had was nicely decorated and clean .The only thing I would like to see different would be nets or blinds at the windows as being on the ground floor we felt a bit like gold fish in a bowl.The swimming pool and leisure facilities were really good aswell and the staff were very friendly and helpful.We would stay here again with no hesitation if we are visiting Middlesbrough as it was good value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main area of the hotel and if possible one that has been refurbished
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Carol,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at Sporting Lodge, Middlesbrough.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that you felt that it was good value for money.

I have however taken your comments on board about having Nets or Blinds at the windows in the Ground floor bedrooms.

Louise Waters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night due to a work conference and I am glad I will not have to go back.Upon arrival,the lady behind the desk was in the middle of telling off anoter member of staff in full view of anyone that was walking in the door,which was unprofessional an made me feel uncomfortable.My room was small(which was fine as I was the single occupant)but clean.However,I did notice that a large hole in the carpet by the bed had been covered up with gaffa tape and the mattress was paper thin and all the springs had gone.I went early for dinner in the adjoining restaurant and found it to be very very dark and dingy,and decorated in very dark colours,which added to the whole effect.I was the only occupant of the place but still it took over 20 minutes for my steak and blue cheese sauce to arrive!When it did,the steak was well cooked but the sauce was thin and weak.Certainly not work the £20 paid!The cost of the room was £90 which if it hadn't have been for the necessity of work I would have refused to pay.An outrageous amount of money for such poor standards.Needless to say I would not recommend and would travel further for a better hotel if I ever had to attend the area foe work again.Truly disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay here at Sporting Lodge, Middlesbrough.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay in respect of both the accommodation provided to you and your meal in the Restaurant.

We have started a programme whereby, bedroom carpets are being gradually replaced, as I am sure that you can understand is a costly process. I will however be undertaking a review of the bedroom mattresses.

With regards to the food in the Restaurant, a new Menu is being launched today, with a period of re-training scheduled in with the Restaurant team. As for the décor, this is something that is to be reviewed in the future.

I do hope that you would consider using the Hotel in the future.

Louise Waters

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on 6th September 2013. We were there for a wedding, which was all contained in the same grounds. The Hotel is easy to find and we found parking easy. We arrived slightly earlier than the official check in time, and understood our room may not be available. We were ok with this as the wedding started before our official check in time(2pm), andmy wife wanted to see her best friend before the event so we were prepared to dress in a spare room. Her room was called the Thornton suite and was very pleasant. Unfortunately, this was just a holding room until the 'Bridal Suite' was ready.

We were very pleased to be told that our room was ready a short time later, Our room was on the first floor and had been recently decorated. It was clean and tidy and perfectly adequate for our needs.

The wedding was fantastic, and would certainly recomend this venue. After the intial ceremony we were asked to vacate and go to the Bar area, which was called Poste House and was nicely done out. This was great to socialise with other guests as the dining room was being prepared. The wedding food was excellent and the staff friendly. Throughout the day guests could move between the bar and the dining room (which also had a bar).

We stayed for the inclusive breakfast, which was nice and hot. There was your usual mix of hot and cold breakfasts, but nursing a hangover, I plumped for the fry up. Before we left we said goodbye to the married couple and other guests. It became apparant that each room was very different. The bridal suite was very disappointing,(room 161). It wasn't even called The Bridal Suite. The room was actually smaller than ours and was at a lower spec. The 4 poster bed (I'm supposing this quantified it as being the bridal suite) was a DIY special. Decorated with a white ribbon. Shoddy really!!

Other guests rooms varied greatly, leaving us feeling that we had been pretty lucky. All in all, the wedding was great and the food was good. In terms of your room, it may be a lucky dip approach.....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

I am glad that the team at the Hotel were able to provide you with a bedroom as quickly as they could after your arrival and that you were happy with the room in which you were allocated.

With regards to the room in which the Bride and Groom were allocated, I can only apologise for the way in which the 'Bridal Suite' was presented to them and I have addressed this with the team.

We are gradually updating the bedrooms with new Windows, Carpets and Curtains and as you can imagine this is a costly process and something that will take time to fully complete.

I do however hope that you will return to the Sporting Lodge in the future.

Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Sporting Lodge and felt it was excellent value for money. The staff are friendly, and eager to please the guests. I enjoyed room service in a very comfortable room with an excellent bathroom where I could relax in a hot bath. The food was good too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Jade W, Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for your comments dated 15th September 2013

It is so nice to read you had such an enjoyable stay at the Sporting Lodge Inn and that the team were able to make this such a good stay for you.

I will certainly be passing on your positive comments to the rest of the team here at the Sporting Lodge Inn.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future where I am sure you will receive a just as warm and friendly welcome.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stay at the Sporting Lodge on a regular basis and i am happy to say that overall the hotel is worth the money.The facilities are excellent and the staff offer an excellent level of service,the food is of a high standard too so what more could you ask for.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Jade W, Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel It is always great to receive pleasant feedback and especially pleasing when guests pay compliment to good customer service as we do promote a strong customer service culture within the hotel.

The team and I do hope you will continue to visit us were you will always be welcome

Middlesbrough
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed here over new year had a band it was really good the bedroom and food was really nice even the breakfast staff really helpfully,we had a great stay over,it's was not that far from where live about thirty minutes drive so there wasn't to much driving.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our hotel and I’m so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us It is always great to receive pleasant feedback from our guests.

The team and I hope to see you back very soon for another enjoyable stay

Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I was unfortunate enough to be booked in by the company my employer uses for hotel bookings. I was due to stay a week, but left after 1 night.

The wallpaper in the room was peeling at several points in the room, the plug hole in the bath was all rusty, the bed sagged when sat on or lied upon. All the furniture was damaged in some way and was from the 70's by the looks of it. The bathroom had a stale smell to it. Also the wifi was "hit & miss" as the receptionist put it. Could not get phone signal in room either. The "complimentary" pencil, not pen, was chewed at the top by a previous guest(s).

The food served at the adjacent bar grill was lovely, the staff in the grill were superb during both evening & breakfast sittings.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I'm afraid.

• Stayed September 2013
Jade W, Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for comments dated 9th Sptember 2013

We welcome all guests comments to anable us to address any concerns and I can assure you we will certainly be acting upon your recent experience.

We are presently undergoing technical advancement to improve wifi stability which will give a greater connection this will be completed by the 19th september.It is also very disappointing to hear we did not meet your expectations with your accomadation on this occasion.
I can assure you that we are still continuing with the update of our hotel we have added 5 extra brand new executive rooms we also replaced all the TV's in the bedrooms, a further 5 bedroom carpets.

Thank you for your compliments on the service and food you recived in the bar and grill we strive to offer the best customer service and are pleased you found this to be the case.

I do hope we have the oppotunity to welcome you back as I would like to think you would have a much better experience next time as you will always be welcome.