“Also on Newmarket trip”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Chessington, United Kingdom
“Also on Newmarket trip”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The staff were really helpful and friendly. The buffet breakfast was excellent as was the evening meal. Room was clean and the bed was comfy, we had a nice view over a green field. Even though there were functions going on we were some distance from them and the room was nice and quiet.

Room Tip: We asked for a ground floor room and got one but there is only 2 floors anyway.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Middlesbrough.

I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay here at the Hotel and that the staff were always friendly and that your request for a Ground floor room was met.

I hope that I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge again in the near future.

Louise Waters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great evening meal , good breakfast , friendly staff , and clean rooms. The hotel was very busy with parties but the staff always had time to help , always had a smile . The pool looked good but unfortunately we had not taken swimwear . A very relaxing atmosphere .
Stella f.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn as part of the Newmarket Group.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found all of the staff to be friendly.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again in the near future.

middlesbrough
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I booked tickets for a Tribute night for six people with an overnight stay. The tribute night was good fun although the meal was quite bland.
The facilities at the hotel were very good, we made use of the gym, pool, jacuzzi and sauna, all included in the price.
The rooms are spotlessly clean with good quality towels and bedding.
Breakfast the next morning (included in the price) was excellent. Staff at the Sporting Lodge were all very friendly and helpful. Will definately book again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Middlesbrough.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with the meal served during the Tribute Act, we serve high numbers of guests during these Events and receive positive feedback about the food, I have however discussed your comments with the Banqueting Chef.

With the exception of your meal, I am glad that you and your party had an enjoyable stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

On arrival staff were bery helpfull and friendly,our room had to be changed due to condenstaion on our first night due to old fitting windows,however,staff immedietly changed our room and put us in a room which hadw new windows which was more suitable,staff couldn't do enough for us,we had a superb breakfast each morning and the use of the pool jakizi sauna and gym

• Stayed October 2013
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 11 November 2013

I am sorry that you had to be moved rooms due to the condensation in your original room. I am however glad that the team were able to move you swiftly and that you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

......but not much.

Ok for a cheap place to stay; problem is it is grossly overpriced. The hotel is old, tired, shabby and generally unloved, carpets in public areas [and my bedroom] were filthy.

The cost of accommodation is just not justifiable and the same goes for restaurant meals that are OK but hugely expensive, considering the lack of ambience and food quality.

This place is well located and occupies generous grounds. I therefore recommend it be flattened and rebuilt to more closely resemble a 21st Century hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent stay here at The Sporting Lodge Inn, Middlesbrough.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the Housekeeping team with respect to the cleanliness of your room. I have addressed your comments with the Senior Housekeeper to ensure that additional training is given to the team.

With regards to the menu and the pricing. We recently commenced a new food menu in the Bar and Restaurant and have had a number of positive comments. I am sorry that you felt that the food you received was not to the standard that you perceived to the value you paid. I have passed your comments on to the Head Chef.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service levels you received from the team. I hope that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us.

Louise Waters

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stay in a number of hotels all over the UK due to my job. The Sporting Lodge,Middlesbrough, gets the award for my most uncomfortable and worst service of all the hotels I have been in.
The room cost £84 for the night, so not cheap. The decor was very dated, I think the bed must have been the original bed, springs sticking through everywhere. Shabby furniture scratched and marked.
I eventually had dinner in the restaurant after waiting for over an hour to get it. The restaurant was about 60% full. The food was heavily salted and over cooked. I also had the pleasure of a 10 man table beside me, who clearly had too much to drink and continually used bad language, surprisingly no member of staff mentioned the loud swearing as they continued to sell more alcohol to the group.
On checking out, I asked to speak to the duty Manager and gave her my feedback. She said she would pass on my comments to the General Manager, who would write to me. More than one week has passed since my stay, I would have expected to have received the letter by now, which confirms my suspicions about how much they care about their customers. If you ever have to stay in a hotel in this area, this is definitely not the hotel to stay in, frankly it was awful

Room Tip: Choose it in another hotel, this one is awful
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at The Sporting Lodge Inn, Middlesbrough.

Please accept my apologies that your comments were not passed on to me at the time of your stay.

Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Arrived on a Sunday night for a 2 day course held in the hotel itself. This review is a bit of novel so I will put the main point at the top "do not stay here. Look up the Parkmore in eaglescliff stay there"

Just a couple of very quiet pints in the strange dark bar. Good pint of real ale though, sky sports, the barman must have had similar taste in music to myself and free WiFi so no complaints.

The room looked average at first glance. Obviously wasn't very well cleaned though as the previous occupants shower gel was still hanging in the bathroom. The bed was absolutely terrible. The springs were so badly broken that the bed was sloped down to one side. Everything else in the room worked even if it was a bit tired looking.

Breakfast was very poor. I'm not usually too fussy when it comes to breakfast but I struggled to find anything I fancied then chucked most of it away. The coffee was tasteless and cold. The hot breakfast was a buffet which had obviously been sitting out for some time including the toast! I took one look at the scrambled egg and closed the lid again. It was more like scrambled milk. The sausage was stone cold. The fried egg was greasy and as above had sat for some time. The hash browns were deep fried. There were 4 other people in the restaurant at breakfast. Surely it would have been more cost effective to cook fresh than Chuck away a mountain of cold food!

The gym is by far the best thing about the hotel. It's well used by locals and is free to residents. There is 12 or so running machines stacks of bikes and other cardio machines as well as loads of room for mats and lots of weight machines. Although very busy it easily accommodated all the people. There is also a good 25m swimming pool with sauna and Jacuzzi. Free towels and very helpful staff.

Evening meal. I'm not one for eating where I stay normally but since the real ale was good I decided to stay put. Took ages to come. They wouldn't even take orders for the first 45 mins! When it came though it was excellent. The damage had already been done by then though. Over an hour for a starter is a disgrace . Also I wasn't impressed that they insisted I pay for my starter and main upfront rather than keep a tab open. May seem like a moan but it makes claiming expenses back so much more difficult. I must look untrustworthy.

Sporting lodge you need to look at the little things you could do or could do better as this hotel has the potential to be very good

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank alexander1982
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay here at The Sporting Lodge Inn, Middlesbrough.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from both the Housekeeping and Food and Beverage teams. I have addressed your comments about the shower gel that was left in your room and the poor bed with both the Housekeeping and Maintenance teams. I have personally spoken to the Head Housekeeper about this and have looked at the bed too.

With regards to the Bar and Restaurant service. I am sorry that you feel that the Bar is dark, however am glad you enjoyed the selection of drinks that we serve. I have addressed your comments about not being able to order food for 45 minutes with the staff that were on shift that day, as it is not procedure to stop taking food orders. Whilst the Hotel was full and large numbers of guests were endeavouring to dine at the same time, the staff should have been advising guests that food may take time to arrive, I am extremely sorry that you were not advised of this prior to placing your order. You also mention not being able to open a tab at the Bar, I have personally addressed this with the team through some one to one training. I am sorry to read that one of your key concerns was that a number of the Breakfast items were not hot. The toast should be being made fresh from the Kitchen and not being placed on the Hot buffet and is something that I have discussed with the team since reading your comments. It is the responsibility of the Breakfast Chef to ensure that all items are replenished, hot and presented well, which does not appear to have been the case on Monday morning and I can only apologise for this. Similarly, you refer to the Hash Browns being deep fried, the is the way that we cook this product.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the team during your stay. I do hope that this experience does not permanently marr your opinion of us.