“Excellent Tribute Night” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Gold Coast, Australia
“Excellent Tribute Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

A large group of us went to the sporting lodge for a Robbie Williams tribute nigh for my 40th birthday. The quality of the food was excellent, hot and all served on time. The drinks were very reasonable and the staff were friendly.

The function rooms was full with a good atmosphere, the Robbie tribute was very good and the after disco was excellent, playing excellent (modern music) until late.

As opposed to other tribute/party nights I have been to (including Xmas do's) this was the best I have been too for a while and would def return.

I can't comment on the hotel but I have been to a wedding here and for Sunday carvery, both of which were very good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent attendance at the Robbie Williams Tribute Night.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable evening and that you enjoyed your meal and found the staff to be friendly.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Louise Waters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed hear for one night and payed £70 for an executive suit and that included breakfast. If I'm honest We were disappointed, the rooms are very dated and the carpets had stains on. The bathroom was really small. I did not expect 5 star but did expect a better standard for £70. The breakfast was nice but service was a bit slow and some of the staff really didn't want to be there, some were really nice tho. Would we stay again no.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank ann3-mari3
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the accommodation that was provided to you for the price that you paid. We have a number of different types of rooms for our guests, of which our Executive rooms are larger than our standard doubles. The rooms in the Hotel are in the process of having Carpets, Curtains and Beds replaced in them all.

I have addressed your comments about the service at Breakfast with the Restaurant Manager.

Once again, I am sorry that you felt that the accommodation fell short of your expectations of the room.

Louise Waters

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 3 times and after readin reviews on here I can't understand what the problem is? Me and my partner hav stayed on Valentine's nights 2 years running and also at a wedding. U get what u pay for. We hav always been lucky obviously and our rooms hav been spotless and refurbished each and every time. For me it's about customer service wen staying in a hotel and I can't fault the staff here. So friendly and helpful. Fantastic value for money. people commenting on "curtains not fitting on the rod properly".....what the hell??? Who actually looks at a curtain rod to check this?? No complaints from us

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am glad that you have always had an enjoyable time when you have stayed here at the Hotel and have found the staff friendly and courteous.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside in the future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Arrived at the hotel early evening with a coach party. Booking in was very efficient. Room smelt very, very strongly of stale tobacco which was really, really awful, although it stated on the bedroom door "no smoking"!!! The room definitely needed an update, the mattress was awful so so thin and there was no valance on the base so you could see the base and legs!!! The bathroom, well that was so small the shower head was the wrong end of the bath for getting in and out of. On the plus side, the room was very clean, the restaurant had a nice ambiance and the staff were very pleasant as the restaurant was very busy indeed. The food was enjoyable. Sunday morning breakfast, chef telephone in "sick" but the staff soon rallied round and had everything on the buffet, albeit a little late, well done them. Lastly the swimming pool was the best we have used in this "type" of hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room, I believe there are some.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside on Saturday 22nd February 2014.

I am sorry that the room in which you were allocated smelt of stale cigarette smoke. The Housekeeping team do endeavour to air the rooms if they are found to smell of smoke in order to remove the smell. I am sorry that this was not the case however in the room in which you were allocated. As the Hotel was full on Saturday, we were unable to offer an alternative room to you. With regards to the mattress in your room, we are undergoing a period of replacement of mattresses, carpets and curtains and I am sorry that this was not the case in your room. I am sorry that you feel that the shower is not situated at the correct side of the bath.

I am glad that you found the staff in the Restaurant friendly and that they endeavoured to ensure that you all received Breakfast as you should have done on Sunday morning, albeit slightly later than scheduled.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel 22nd February in room 241 as we were attending a wedding at the venue we paid £55 for one night for 2 people including breakfast and it was excellent value for money the room was clean but is in desperate need of updating furniture was old and mismatched also the fact they don't have a lift is slightly off putting as being a girl wearing 6inch heels for the wedding and climbing stairs with a heavy case is a recepie for disaster the wedding itself was fantastic hats off to the staff serving the meal because they were brilliant and couldn't do enought for you however the lady on reception the next morning when checking out wasn't as friendly she was quite sharp and made us feel uncomfortable the breakfast was lovely and a decent size much more than I expected for the price we had paid the lovely lady who was our waitress on that morning serving us out breakfast I think her name was Patricia could be wrong couldn't do enough for us she was pleasant friendly and took the time to ask us about the wedding the previous day such a nice lady and I think other hotels could take a leaf out of her book. I entered the room after the afternoon reception to iron my dress and found no iron in the room I rang reception were a lovely man brought me one up along with a board within minutes I couldn't fault him overall although the rooms need updating the hotel is of a good standard the breakfast was great and the staff were friendly much more than we expected for what we had paid and even though I live in Middlesbrough I would defiantly stay here again well done sporting lodge.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

I am glad that you had an enjoyable time at Gemma and Dave's Wedding on Saturday and that the staff were friendly. We do not provide Irons and Ironing boards in our bedrooms, I am however glad that you were brought one quickly after your request.

I will pass your comments on to the team, with specific regard to Christine in the Restaurant.

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Good location for the Middlesborough area, with ample parking. Booked a Double at a very good rate. Initial thoughts it looked a good room, but as the night progressed the reality came to the surface. The bathroom was in need of some TLC. Went to the adjacent Restaurant, in the Evening very spacious incorporating a bar. Drinks were ok , but the prices for the evening meal were a bit expensive, so we went into Middlesborough and found a very good restaurant. On return to the Hotel, realised the walls are very thin, could hear conversation from next door, which made us reluctant to put the TV on with a suitable volume, as not to affect the guests next door. The worst aspect of the stay was the bed itself. It was the thinest mattress , with the hardest springs I have ever slept on. Extremely uncomfortable, to such an extent that I had to continuely move to try and avoid a spring sticking in me. If I was staying longer, would have requested a new one. Probably worst night sleep ever. Looking on reflection, at the other posts, we may have got off lightly, wasn't a disaster, but please invest in decent mattresses.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

I am sorry to read of your comments about the price of food and drink in the Old Poste House Bar and Grill. We have recently changed our A la Carte menu and have not received any adverse comments about the price, instead receiving numerous positive comments about the food.

With regards to the mattresses in the bedrooms, we are undergoing a period of maintenance review whereby we are replacing carpets, beds and curtains and I am sorry that this was not the case in the room in which you stayed.

I hope that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside in the near future.

North Yorkshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

After reading so many negative reviews on here, I wasn't expecting much to be honest. However -pleasantly surprised! Lovely warm reception -helpful -and good first impressions -clean roomy reception. Our room (102) was lovely -twin room -clean and nice enough -bathroom had shower and a bath and was also clean. Bed very comfy.
We used the gym and pool and thought it was amazing. Big 25m pool -bit too much chlorine though! Jacuzzi -steam room and sauna also lovely.
We didnt eat in the restaurant that night as it was fully booked till 9.30pm so we ordered a take away pizza to the room!
Next morning we had the full English -fantastic selection of food -not at all greasy. Lovely friendly staff as well.

Only negative from me as that the socket next to the mirror was cracked yet i still used it for my hairdryer (did not realise there is a built in hairdryer in the drawer). The socket broke my own hairdryer which wasn't good but hopefully this will be fixed soon (socket -not hairdryer!)

All in all a lovely stay and we will be back. Thank you.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with the exception of the broken plug socket in your room. This has now been addressed.