“Great place to stay”

Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed here 3 times now when we go to visit our son who is at university in Durham. This is a warm, friendly well appointed place. One of the waitresses even remembered us and my husband's preference for warm soya milk! The gym and sauna are great, modern and the spa is lovely and warm. We will be staying here regularly for the next 4 years and look forward to this.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am glad that you have always had an enjoyable stay with us and that the staff remember your preferences for Breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The cards for the rooms never work. The entire building is disgusting. I will attach pics to prove this. The bathroom is a mess covered in hairs from the previous occupant. The floors never get hoovered as you can clearly see in the pics and the beds get changed once a week if your lucky. The showers in the gym area top the place off chunks of hair everywhere. The staff are very friendly but the place is an absolute disgrace. 4stars??? I think they added a couple on themselves.

• Stayed: January 2014
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

I am sorry that you feel that the level of cleanliness in both the Bedrooms and the Leisure Club are poor. All bedrooms are serviced daily, with long stay guests having beds changed a minimum of twice weekly. I have addressed your comments with the Housekeeping Supervisor and regularly undertake spot checks of rooms myself.

With regards to the Changing rooms in the Escape Zone, these are cleaned as a minimum of twice daily but the team that work in the Escape Zone. I have however discussed your comments about the cleanliness of the showers with the Leisure Club Manager, as this is something that should not be occurring.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in cleanliness levels that you received from the team at the Hotel.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have recently returned from a 2 night stay.....and it was spoilt by the change of room...we booked a twin ground floor room which was allocated...after unpacking...we found that the window blind would not close...and as it was Sunday the maintenance man was not at work...so we were allocated another room!! This was a so called family room...same size as the twin with two bigger beds! And it was UPSTAIRS..the only one available...altogether not a good idea as hubby has COPD..and found he stairs awkward...the beds were not comfortable...and the base on one was stained...however the staff were very obliging...and the breakfast was good.....but what a difference from our last stay in December....I do agree with other writers that this place needs a good clean and tidy-up.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the team in respect of the Maintenance issue in your original room and you subsequently requiring to move rooms. Whilst we did not have a Maintenance Attendant in on the day in which you stayed the Duty Manager should have come to have a look at the blind first before a decision was made to just move the rooms. I can also only apologise that when we did provide you with an alternative room that it was upstairs, which was not ideal for your Husband. Over the last few weeks the Hotel has been extremely busy, with the majority of our twin rooms on the ground floor having been occupied for the last few weeks continually.

I do hope that this experience did not permanently marr your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

A large group of us went to the sporting lodge for a Robbie Williams tribute nigh for my 40th birthday. The quality of the food was excellent, hot and all served on time. The drinks were very reasonable and the staff were friendly.

The function rooms was full with a good atmosphere, the Robbie tribute was very good and the after disco was excellent, playing excellent (modern music) until late.

As opposed to other tribute/party nights I have been to (including Xmas do's) this was the best I have been too for a while and would def return.

I can't comment on the hotel but I have been to a wedding here and for Sunday carvery, both of which were very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent attendance at the Robbie Williams Tribute Night.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable evening and that you enjoyed your meal and found the staff to be friendly.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed hear for one night and payed £70 for an executive suit and that included breakfast. If I'm honest We were disappointed, the rooms are very dated and the carpets had stains on. The bathroom was really small. I did not expect 5 star but did expect a better standard for £70. The breakfast was nice but service was a bit slow and some of the staff really didn't want to be there, some were really nice tho. Would we stay again no.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ann3-mari3
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the accommodation that was provided to you for the price that you paid. We have a number of different types of rooms for our guests, of which our Executive rooms are larger than our standard doubles. The rooms in the Hotel are in the process of having Carpets, Curtains and Beds replaced in them all.

I have addressed your comments about the service at Breakfast with the Restaurant Manager.

Once again, I am sorry that you felt that the accommodation fell short of your expectations of the room.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 3 times and after readin reviews on here I can't understand what the problem is? Me and my partner hav stayed on Valentine's nights 2 years running and also at a wedding. U get what u pay for. We hav always been lucky obviously and our rooms hav been spotless and refurbished each and every time. For me it's about customer service wen staying in a hotel and I can't fault the staff here. So friendly and helpful. Fantastic value for money. people commenting on "curtains not fitting on the rod properly".....what the hell??? Who actually looks at a curtain rod to check this?? No complaints from us

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am glad that you have always had an enjoyable time when you have stayed here at the Hotel and have found the staff friendly and courteous.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Arrived at the hotel early evening with a coach party. Booking in was very efficient. Room smelt very, very strongly of stale tobacco which was really, really awful, although it stated on the bedroom door "no smoking"!!! The room definitely needed an update, the mattress was awful so so thin and there was no valance on the base so you could see the base and legs!!! The bathroom, well that was so small the shower head was the wrong end of the bath for getting in and out of. On the plus side, the room was very clean, the restaurant had a nice ambiance and the staff were very pleasant as the restaurant was very busy indeed. The food was enjoyable. Sunday morning breakfast, chef telephone in "sick" but the staff soon rallied round and had everything on the buffet, albeit a little late, well done them. Lastly the swimming pool was the best we have used in this "type" of hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room, I believe there are some.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside on Saturday 22nd February 2014.

I am sorry that the room in which you were allocated smelt of stale cigarette smoke. The Housekeeping team do endeavour to air the rooms if they are found to smell of smoke in order to remove the smell. I am sorry that this was not the case however in the room in which you were allocated. As the Hotel was full on Saturday, we were unable to offer an alternative room to you. With regards to the mattress in your room, we are undergoing a period of replacement of mattresses, carpets and curtains and I am sorry that this was not the case in your room. I am sorry that you feel that the shower is not situated at the correct side of the bath.

I am glad that you found the staff in the Restaurant friendly and that they endeavoured to ensure that you all received Breakfast as you should have done on Sunday morning, albeit slightly later than scheduled.