“Constant complaints never improves standards”

Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Constant complaints never improves standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stay at this hotel frequently on business and am a very tolerant person usually but feel i must air my views,Plus points friendly staff,swimming pool and good buffet breakfast. Minus points this hotel has got to be the worst WiFi provider that i have ever experienced, when the guest are prodominentally business people this is a massive problem for communication e mails.If it's not the router that needs rebooting it's the server that is down i have reported the problem countless times over the last 3 years and still no improvement. One other problem is breakfast the rotary toaster broke over a year ago to be replaced with two pop up toasters they are totally inadequate when the breakfast room is full causing delays to business people on tight schedules. i hope this is read and reacted upon by management as i am only one of many guests complaining and not receiving any satisfaction at all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank anonimous294
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your experience at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you have continually had problems with the Hotels' internet and are getting no joy from the team at the Hotel about it. The Internet provider was changed in September 2013 and up until February of this year, we did not experience any dips in coverage and access. I have had continual conversations with the Hotels' Internet provider over the last few weeks to endeavour to resolve the issue, as I am aware that it is frustrating for our business travellers. A full diagnostic check took place on the system yesterday to check all of the equipment on site and this appeared to resolve the issues, but I am still keeping an eye on this.

With regards to the Toaster in the Restaurant. The Rotary Toaster had been in situ for a reasonable length of time and when this broke down last year a decision to purchase the two toasters that we now have was taken. I am sorry that you do not feel that these are adequate for the business levels in the Hotel.

I do hope that the issues you mentioned have not permanently marred your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Louise Waters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Brotton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just spent a fantastic weekend. Rooms were clean and comfortable, food great and hospitality excellent. Would recommend.
We have stayed several times over the years, in many different rooms. All are well equipped.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel and that you continually find your rooms clean and comfortable.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a work trip, the building is old and musty. Whenever yoy put your hands on something you're picking up germs. The carpet in my room had lots of masking tape on it covering up rips, the shower curtain was filthy dirty and the bathroom stunk. The furniture was all stained. We ate in the restaurant, the food is good but the service is appalling. I have told my bosses not to send anyone here again on business.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the team in respect of the cleanliness of your room, the presentation of your room and the service in the Restaurant. I have discussed your comments with the Housekeeper about the cleanliness levels in the room in which you stayed and that the shower curtain was not replaced before now. With regards to the carpet in your room, we are currently within a programme whereby we are replacing carpets, curtains and windows in our bedrooms, I am sorry that the room I which you were situated has not had a new carpet as yet.

I have addressed your comments about the service levels in the Restaurant with the team to ensure that the service levels are maintained at all times.

I am sorry that you have been disappointed with your stay here on this occasion, but hope that I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Louise Waters

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel the night before our daughters wedding. It is a very nice hotel. The rooms were very clean and our stay was comfortable. The breakfast was lovely,The staff are very pleasent and helpful.
The wedding was fantastic, very well organised by Louise (manager) and she looked after us all. I felt that nothing was to much for this very nice lady. The room was beautifully decorated and changed around really quickly, to cater for the ceromony, the wedding breakfast and then the evening party. I would strongly recommend this venue for a wedding. They are so experienced at making sure everyone has a good time and set everyihing up for Karen and Humiran making my day stress free. Thanks to all the staff at the Sporting Lodge Inns for everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank christine_choi43
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, before your Daughters' Wedding.

I am glad that you had a great stay at that everyone enjoyed the Wedding Celebration.

I will pass on your comments to the Kitchen and Banqueting teams.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel markets it's self as four star, it doesn't deserve one.
To be honest I didn't think hotels of this quality existed anymore.
The best that can be said for this place is that it is a health club with rooms, youth hostel quality rooms.
The member of staff that checked us in was spot on and professional, however when I advised I would not be staying after I saw the room he apologised, but then debited my card for the cost of the full stay.
I wouldn't let my dog stay here please be careful.

• Stayed May 2014
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at The Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the way in which the Hotel and the rooms presented themselves. The rating of the the Hotel is a 4 star, under the rating of Inn's rather than Hotels. We are in the process of re-decorating the corridors and bedrooms and replacing carpets, curtains, beds and windows, having already replaced and upgraded all of the televisions in the rooms last year.

With regards to your check-out from the Hotel. I have spoken to the Receptionist in question and discussed your comments with him and the rest of the team.

I am sorry that on this occasion you had cause to complain.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have just returned from a one night stay at the Sporting Lodge with a cheap and cheerful coach tour. I was appalled on reading the reviews after we had booked the short break and expected an awful hotel. What a great surprise. The corridors were bright and clean, the room was clean and better than most rooms where we have stayed in this country and the bathroom was spotless. The beds were comfortable with clean white sheets and with 2 plump pillows which is rare at even the top hotels. Dinner was OK in part but the chef is one of those who threatens the veg with boiling water and turns perfectly fresh food to rubber. As a diner all I can say is if you can't get your knife or your teeth into a piece of cauliflower then it is not cooked properly. Breakfast was an altogether different story with plenty of choice, fresh fruit, several juices, cereals and full English, tea and coffee. What more can you want. The staff were friendly and polite and booking in was easy and quick. I would be happy if other hotels were of this standard and would say disregard some of these bad reviews and give it a go.

Room Tip: We were in room 176 was the last room in the lower corridor with a pleasant outlook onto a lawn
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am glad to read of your enjoyment of your stay, but have passed your comments about the Evening meal to the Head Chef.

Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights to attend a wedding, the first room we were given had a strong smell of urine, however when we went to reception there was no problem and we were given another room quickly. The room was pretty sad and the décor badly needed freshened up. The furniture needed the bin! We were supposed to have a fridge but the space where it should have been was blocked off! Friends staying in another room did have a fridge! Although the bedding was clean, the mattress badly needed replaced as the springs were very evident and did not promote a good nights sleep (as advertised). The carpet was badly stained and obviously the cleaners do not move furniture to hoover as the corners were grotty! The upside was the breakfast which was delicious, fruit, cereal, a selection of juices, pastries and the hot buffet which offered everything a full English breakfast includes. The bar charges extortionate prices.
We have to mention the staff at breakfast who were very friendly and could not do enough. Thankfully we had preferential rates as wedding guests as otherwise we would have left and gone to a Travel Lodge instead.
If visiting the area again I would not stay at the Sporting Lodge.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay, with specific regard to the decor and cleanliness of the rooms in which you were situated. Please accept my apologies that you needed to be moved from your original room due to an overpowering smell in the room, I am however glad that the team organised your alternative room swiftly and courteously.

We are undertaking a replacement of the carpets, beds, curtains and windows within the Hotel, however I am sorry that as of yet we have not reached the rooms in which you were allocated. Some of the rooms within the Hotel do have fridges, but we do not guarantee these in all bedrooms, had a request have been made to Reception, we maky have been able to place one in the room in which you stayed.

I am sorry that you feel that the prices charged in the Bar are higher than you would have expected to have paid.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the team in the Hotel.