“Night away for husbands birthday”

Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Night away for husbands birthday”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Booked to stay for husband birthday arrived with a lovely warm welcome check in was easy rooms were comfortable and very clean price included admission to facilities pool sauna jacuzzi steam rooms and gym. We stayed for dinner which was lovely very tasty and plenty of choice staff were really busy as a wedding and coach party were been attended too staff ratio seemed small but we were not left too long in between courses. After a good nights sleep and and early dip in the pool the breakfast was great a brilliant choice and plenty off it food was help yourself Buffett and coffee was served at the table with a smile and conversation from the lovely waitress all in all a lovely stay shame it was for only one night

• Stayed May 2014
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay for your Husband's Birthday and that the staff were all very friendly and courteous.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Louise Waters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
durham
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay here,and have to say we were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the negative comments on here.We were having a girly night away and going to see a band in the nearby village of Stainton,our room was spacious, clean,and comfortable twin beds,Bathroom was spotless and lovely white fluffy towels, we spent some time in the gym before we went out for the evening, and found the facilities to be very good.The following morning we started our day with a visit to the swimming pool and spa, and a sauna, great after a night out.Followed by breakfast that we couldn't fault.Staff were all very friendly and helpful, and we will definitely be returning but with a bigger party of girls.

Room Tip: no lift in this hotel so if you have any mobility problems ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 6 June 2014

I am glad that you found your room to be spacious and comfortable and you enjoyed using the Leisure facilities as well as finding the staff to be courteous.

I do hope I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Woken at 3.30am by numerous other residents running up and down the corridor shouting having obviously just been turned out of the bar. 4.00 am banging on the door and loud noises again. Complained at Reception in the morning and was advised that several other guests had complained and was told I should have contacted the Night Porter. Now trying to seek compensation as there was no one available to consult at the time of payment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside over the May Bank Holiday weekend.

I am sorry that you were woken in the early hours by other guests running up and down the corridors and subsequently knocking on your door. The Nights team patrol the corridors twice nightly, outside of these times, they do have to rely on guests reporting any such disturbances, which are then dealt with accordingly.

I am however sorry that when you reported your frustration to the Reception team on departure that they did not at least contact the Duty Manager for you. I have spoken to Nights, Reception and the Duty Managers to ensure that instances such as this are dealt with accordingly going forward.

Louise Waters

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Whole thing was a nightmare from start to finish!!

Firstly i seen the hotel online for £65 per night (bed&breakfast) double room......so i called the hotel to book the room rather than doing it online, i spoke to a young lady who said that type of room had now gone, within a minute of seeing it and the only other room available was for £80per night. So i took this room as i needed some place to stay for the night.

So i arrive at check in, give the young lady my details etc, but then i was basically forced money onto my account (just incase) i needed it for food etc :/ although the money not spent would be refunded back into my account i just think this was rather rude of her to force this.

Upon reaching my room i was pretty shocked to find the state of it, very very dated. The bathroom didn't look very clean at all, the bed!!!! What a nightmare that was, mattress was terrible and i basically had a sheet! Not a quilt a sheet but as the reception staff wasn't very helpful i decided to just grin and bear it, after all it was only one night!

I went to the hotel restaurant for my tea, i had been up since 3am that day and this was now around 7:30pm so i just wanted something "quick" so i could go to my room and sleep, so i ordered a burger and chips, assuming this would be pretty quick but i was very wrong!! 45 minutes i waiting for a burger and chips!!! Although people around me was eating and people who was seated after me had finished!!! And i was still waiting, finally got my burger! Wasn't to bad in the end but certainly wasn't worth the wait!! Wifi? That did not work at all, asked the lady on reception for help and it was basically like talking to a brick wall! So overall it cost me £80 to sleep on a crap mattress with a sheet.....never ever again!! Would rather sleep in a police cell or a cheaper hotel ie £25. Per night as you get what you pay for! But £80 to stay there was ridiculous!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Nickw1987

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the way in which your reservation and check-in were handled by the Reception team. It is company policy to take a pre-authorisation from all guests arriving in the Hotel. I am however sorry that the pre-authorisation procedure and the release back of funds was not explained correctly by the team. I have undertaken some re-training with the team to ensure that this policy is explained clearly to all guests arriving in to the Hotel.

With regards to the way in which the Hotel was presented to you on your arrival. I have spoken to both of the Housekeeping Supervisors to ensure that all beds in all rooms are made correctly each day, I am also spot checking rooms to ensure that the cleanliness levels meet the Hotels' requirements and I can only apologise that they did not in the room in which you stayed and that because of the way that the Reception team checked you in, you did not feel happy in approaching them about the cleanliness and presentation of your room.

The wait in the Old Poste House should not have been 45 minutes for a Burger, however all food for the Bar, Restaurant and Room Service is freshly prepared from the same Kitchen, which can when the Hotel is busy cause a slight delay in food coming out of the Kitchen. I have spoken to the Head Chef about this, as well as the Restaurant team to ensure that we keep on top of orders that are being placed on and if needs be advise guests if there is to be a delay on their food.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the team on this occasion.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

They rate are a 4 star Hotel, but I doubt it.
Free use of the Gym was a plus.
Room were nicely made, but the extract fan is the bathroom was broken which made the room like a sauna. Bed was far to soft for my like.
Food was good, but limited menu, catered the average person, so not adventurous

Room Tip: Ask for room with a firm mattress
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you do not feel that the Hotel represents it's four star rating. This rating is done in the 'Inn's' category as opposed to the 'Hotels'' rating.

I am grateful that you have mentioned the Bathroom extract fan is not working in the room in which you stayed, this is something that I have ensured that my Maintenance team have checked to ensure that another guest does not experience this.

I can only apologise that you felt that the Restaurant Menu in the Old Poste House was limited. We run two menu's until 6.30pm and also have specials on each day. I have passed your comments on to the Head Chef however.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in service levels that you received during your stay here.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here for a week for business. Had I been paying myself I would have gone to reception for a refund on the first night and gone elsewhere. I have rarely stayed in such a poor hotel, in fact I have had cleaner and more comfortable hostels. On the plus side the staff were friendly enough and the pool facility is not too bad.
Unfortunately, despite their politeness the staff clearly have lack of drive and focus presumably from bad management. The way they are utilised in the restaurant and bar areas is poor and the resultant service is slow and painful. Everything from ordering a drink or waiting for a meal is slow. I don't blame the staff, they have a clear lack of leadership from above.
The hotel has aged badly with no apparent investment in it. The carpets are in poor condition throughout, the mattresses are terrible, in fact everything is generally tired and dirty. It almost seems as if the owners do not care any more.
The location is also awful, nothing is nearby so you are dependant on the hotel catering to your needs. Unfortunately this does not happen. Even getting a bottle of water proved a challenge due to an empty vending machine and large wait at the bar. Gave up and went to bed dehydrated.
I honestly do not know where the good reviews for this place come from, they cannot be serious. I have never felt the need to review any bar/restaurant/hotel in my life until I stayed here. I fully expect the manager to reply with "we are getting new carpets, we are doing this, we are doing that........etc" but it will make no difference at all to the hotel quality. The whole place requires an overhaul from top to bottom, including the way it is run.

7 Thank N552014

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay in respect of the room and the Bar and Restaurant service. I can only apologise for the shortfalls in service levels that you received from the staff, all of the staff in the Restaurant and Bar have had customer service training, however some further one to one training is taking place to ensure that service levels are consistent on all shifts. This training has been undertaken by both myself and the Food and Beverage Management team and I am sorry that you did not feel that at the time of your stay that this was sufficient.

With regards to the carpets and décor around the building. We work to a preventative maintenance programme, whereby we continually strive to replace carpets, curtains and beds in the rooms when they reach the end of their live. This is a programme that is continually on going, along with re-decorating the rooms. The corridor carpets are the next major expenditure that will take place and I work alongside the owners to endeavour to ensure that items such as mattresses are replaced before they get too worn. I am however sorry that this was not the case in the room in which you stayed.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the reduced service levels that you received from both the Housekeeping and Restaurant teams. I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board.

I do hope that your recent stay has not permanently marred your opinion of us.

Barton on Humber
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Got to this hotel today room clean and tidy just had a nice rump steak for tea can't see what every one is complaining about staff were very friendly and curtious maybe its that I don't expect 5 star treatment for 4 star prices

Room Tip: Room 208 gets the sun
1 Thank OzzyBarton
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 15 May 2014

I am glad that you found your room clean, comfortable and that it caught the Sun. I will also pass your comments on to the team about your meal.