“Needs modernising with greater facilities for disabled”

Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed there as part of a wedding package. My disabled husband had to walk long corridor to the room. Bed raiser and grab rail was not available. Potato crisp under the bed did not make a super clean impression. The service at the wedding seemed faultless. Would I stay again? Probably not!

• Stayed: June 2014
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you did not feel that the room in which you were allocated had enough provision for your Husband. Whilst we do have a room with grab rails, we do not have any rooms with wet rooms in them.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable time at the Wedding.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The rum smells strange , probably from bathroom(urin?)
Im used to higher standards from traveling in europe.
I would like to call it a medium class hostel, not a hotel.
On the + side: hmm.. Not easy. Maybe a medium service level from staff.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry to read that there was an unusual smell in your room that you believed to be coming from the Bathroom.

I hope that this experience has not marred your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights as part of the weekend break package on Fri 6th / Sat 7th as I was attending a wedding nearby. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the facilities were fine - I was pleased I was able to use the gym for no extra cost. It is not the most modern hotel in the world but I thought it was good value, the room was clean and I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be friendly and courteous.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I can not rate this place higher!!!! We had a meal there to celebrate our wedding and they made up our table in the restaurant to reflect our colour scheme and we knew nothing about it. They did it off their own backs and it made our night!!! The service was second to none and one ov the waiters even offered to use 1 ov our cameras to take some pictures of all of us as he was a trainee photographer. They didn't have to do that however it just shows what thoughtful and caring staff they have. The whole process was so smooth it made us relax and enjoy the day. On the second night of staying there we talked to one of the managers about how happy we were with the previous evening and she even came over with 2 free glasses of champagne in acknowledgment of me and my husband getting married. That to me is an amazing service. The room was lovely and any thing that we wanted the staff were only too happy to help with. For the breakfasts on both mornings (we stayed 2 nights) there was a very nice selection of different food and the staff were very friendly and did their job with a smile. It was so nice to see. They were so helpful. We have come away feeling so relaxed and refreshed. Thank you so much for making me and my husbands day complete.

Mr and Mrs Steven and Danielle Oliver

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

I am glad to read of your comments about the meal and service on Friday evening and the finishing touches of the glass of Champagne given to you on Saturday evening. I will pass on your gratitude to the staff and I thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Do not stay at the hotel if you require access to the internet as an essential part of your visit to the area. I stayed here on 3 separate occasions for business as hotel was in the right arae and each time there was either NO or intermittent access to the internet in my room. Their response was 'we are dealing with it" yes we know its a problem, sorry or you can go to the bar area which is on a different server!!! In addition telephone reception is also poor.... so if you do not need to use your mobile or lap top then the hotel itself is fairly basic and in need of a major refurb but hey you do have access to the gym and pool!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about the issues that you have experienced during your recent stays here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I can only apologise for the reduced Wifi service levels that you have received in your room over recent weeks. The issues that we have experienced have been raised to the highest level with our service provider and they have completed various diagnostics checks to the system to endeavour to iron out the issues. Unfortunately we had an electrical failure last week which meant that we lost internet for the evening and again I can only apologise. This is a key area of importance for our guests and is something that we are keeping on top of to ensure consistency going forward.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the lack of internet access. I do hope that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I booked to stay here for a few days as its close to where my brother and his girlfriend live. I found the staff very friendly, helpfull and overall professional. My room was clean and tidy and there was plenty of fresh linen and towels. Breakfast in the morning was great, buffet style. Plenty of fresh fruit, juices, pastries. You could go back time and time again and fill your plate with sausages, bacon, hash browns, black pudding, tomatoes, beans, eggs etc. Overall I was very impressed, will certainly be staying here on my next visit to Middlesbrough.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found your room comfortable and the staff all friendly and courteous.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here for the third time over the bank holiday weekend. Took advantage of very good Leisure Break offer (two nights in executive room with breakfast and including dinner on the first night....book direct with the hotel £120.
This is a wedding driven hotel offering Bronze Silver and Gold packages. There were weddings on both of the nights we stayed. The hotel endeavours to put non wedding guests in the quieter rooms away from the reception area and that is what they did for us....BUT...you cannot legislate for idiots staying in the same corridor as us and on the second night boy did we have some idiots...banging on doors at 2am 3am shouting and raving on, running up and down the corridors. No answer to my phone calls to the desk. The following morning at checkout I said to the receptionist 'You dont expect me to pay for last night do you'...he said I cannot authorise a refund and the general manager is not here. He gave me the managers card. I rang her the following day and received immediate satisfaction, an apology and a full refund on the night. Great customer service.
Practically this is a very large hotel spread over quite a big site with full leisure facilities, a great pool and you cannot fault this. The rooms particularly the executive rooms are ok . What is not so good is the restaurant and bar. The food was just ok, the beer on the first night was Bombardier...great pint....the wine was just ok. The service was not that good. The till on the bar had been broken for some time so the bar staff had to go to the restaurant till to change money or provide a receipt...it remained broken when we left. The second night both real ales were unavailable. It was one keg beer and that was it.
The breakfast was again ok but served in a dark gloomy room with antiquated toasters and a hot buffet style layout. The state of the clientele from the previous days wedding left a lot to be desired.
All in all the Sporting Lodge is only just adequate now. It needs major TLC of the breakfast area and the bar. This is the old Poste House bar and restaurant and 'old' is the operative word. The fact that you did not need to book a table on a Saturday night speaks volumes. We stayed here because of the proximity to the Tees Valley shopping, the Tees Barrage and Whitby a short ride over the moors. I doubt if we will stay again. There is a Premier Inn just up the A66 and we will try that.

Room Tip: Ask for an Executive room on the north side away from reception but try to avoid weddings...nigh on...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside over the Bank Holiday weekend.

I am sorry that you were woken up by other guests staying in the Hotel that weekend and am glad that our telephone conversation provided an amicable resolve to the situation.

I have addressed your comments about the lack of Real Ales in the Old Poste House with the Bars Manager, as by offering two, we should always have them on offer.

I will furthermore be addressing your comments about the décor and lighting in the Old Poste House in order to see if I can come to a further resolve.

Louise Waters

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlesbrough
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
#6 of 11 in Middlesbrough
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough

Been to Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge? Share your experiences!