“Good hotel, despite some poor reviews”

Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Gloucester, England
“Good hotel, despite some poor reviews”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to find the hotel so clean and tidy, after reading some poor reviews here, which we thought very unfair. We were there for three nights, and had to order three courses of all the evening meals on the first day, so difficult to remember what we had ordered without writing it down. The only real (moderate) grumble was the organisation of the evening meal, where you had to wait at your table for starters to be delivered, then wait for plates to be cleared before going for main course, which led to big queues at the servery. An extra couple of waiting staff would have helped a lot. Staff were, though, without exception polite and helpful, even friendly.

Room Tip: We didn't get a choice, as this was part of a coach tour package, but the ones we saw were fine.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am glad that you had a nice stay here at the Hotel as part of one of the many groups that we cater for. I am however sorry that you felt that the Restaurant service levels were not as expected. We do cater for large numbers of Coach parties and the way in which the meal was served during your stay is the same with all large groups and works well.

I hope to welcome you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the future.

Louise Waters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Peterlee
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My review constantly seems to be removed for this hotel. I can only assume its due to the fact I mention bed bugs. I caught bed bugs from the terrible establishment. The rooms are old and falling apart. The decor they have chosen is of the vagrant / rubbish tip look. The general manager is an absolute joke, unprofessional to the end. I would only recommend staying here if you were looking for some sort of end of the world, apocalypse type of experience.

• Stayed February 2014
6 Thank Paul_and_Kate007
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside earlier in the year.

I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay here at the Hotel. I did discuss your comments with you personally and I believed that any issues you raised were resolved. I can only apologise if this was not the case.

Louise Waters

Travellers are raving about these Middlesbrough hotels

Fairlight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed there as part of a wedding package. My disabled husband had to walk long corridor to the room. Bed raiser and grab rail was not available. Potato crisp under the bed did not make a super clean impression. The service at the wedding seemed faultless. Would I stay again? Probably not!

• Stayed June 2014
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I am sorry that you did not feel that the room in which you were allocated had enough provision for your Husband. Whilst we do have a room with grab rails, we do not have any rooms with wet rooms in them.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable time at the Wedding.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The rum smells strange , probably from bathroom(urin?)
Im used to higher standards from traveling in europe.
I would like to call it a medium class hostel, not a hotel.
On the + side: hmm.. Not easy. Maybe a medium service level from staff.

• Stayed June 2014

I am sorry to read that there was an unusual smell in your room that you believed to be coming from the Bathroom.

I hope that this experience has not marred your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

sussex
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights as part of the weekend break package on Fri 6th / Sat 7th as I was attending a wedding nearby. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the facilities were fine - I was pleased I was able to use the gym for no extra cost. It is not the most modern hotel in the world but I thought it was good value, the room was clean and I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be friendly and courteous.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I can not rate this place higher!!!! We had a meal there to celebrate our wedding and they made up our table in the restaurant to reflect our colour scheme and we knew nothing about it. They did it off their own backs and it made our night!!! The service was second to none and one ov the waiters even offered to use 1 ov our cameras to take some pictures of all of us as he was a trainee photographer. They didn't have to do that however it just shows what thoughtful and caring staff they have. The whole process was so smooth it made us relax and enjoy the day. On the second night of staying there we talked to one of the managers about how happy we were with the previous evening and she even came over with 2 free glasses of champagne in acknowledgment of me and my husband getting married. That to me is an amazing service. The room was lovely and any thing that we wanted the staff were only too happy to help with. For the breakfasts on both mornings (we stayed 2 nights) there was a very nice selection of different food and the staff were very friendly and did their job with a smile. It was so nice to see. They were so helpful. We have come away feeling so relaxed and refreshed. Thank you so much for making me and my husbands day complete.

Mr and Mrs Steven and Danielle Oliver

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise W, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this review, 9 June 2014

I am glad to read of your comments about the meal and service on Friday evening and the finishing touches of the glass of Champagne given to you on Saturday evening. I will pass on your gratitude to the staff and I thank you for your kind words.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Do not stay at the hotel if you require access to the internet as an essential part of your visit to the area. I stayed here on 3 separate occasions for business as hotel was in the right arae and each time there was either NO or intermittent access to the internet in my room. Their response was 'we are dealing with it" yes we know its a problem, sorry or you can go to the bar area which is on a different server!!! In addition telephone reception is also poor.... so if you do not need to use your mobile or lap top then the hotel itself is fairly basic and in need of a major refurb but hey you do have access to the gym and pool!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on Trip Advisor about the issues that you have experienced during your recent stays here at the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside.

I can only apologise for the reduced Wifi service levels that you have received in your room over recent weeks. The issues that we have experienced have been raised to the highest level with our service provider and they have completed various diagnostics checks to the system to endeavour to iron out the issues. Unfortunately we had an electrical failure last week which meant that we lost internet for the evening and again I can only apologise. This is a key area of importance for our guests and is something that we are keeping on top of to ensure consistency going forward.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the lack of internet access. I do hope that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sporting Lodge Inn, Teesside again in the near future.

Louise Waters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlesbrough
Jurys Inn Middlesbrough
#3 of 11 in Middlesbrough
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough

Been to Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge? Share your experiences!