“Cheerful and Chummy”

Dining options: Breakfast
Thirsk, United Kingdom
“Cheerful and Chummy”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a friendly intimate place to enjoy breakfast, just a coffee, or a light lunch.
It stands out like a good deed in a naughty world in the "greasy spoon" ambiance of Middlesbrough.
Just off the town centre, close by the Law Courts and the University, and handy for the MIMA art gallery it is generally well supported, and although the service is brisk, cheerful and efficient it can still be difficult to find a seat at peak times.
The decor is informal, much of the furnishings betray their origin in a re-ordered (or redundant) church.
The food is fresh, with a variety of soups, sandwiches, panninis, etc, plus imaginative salads.
Add this friendly and efficient staff, it is a place to aim for to fill that odd corner, or enjoy the luxury of a more relaxed Friday lunch with a glass of wine!

• Visited June 2014

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have visited the BSK for lunch four times since it opened as it's located near my work.
The food is lovely & really tasty, the staff are nice & friendly BUT there's just a few little gripes that let this place down for me...
Out of the four visits there has been only one where our order has been correct (Wrong bread, wrong topping, not the same as described on menu), the other visit I was served the correct order but found a large bone in my sandwich,
Again as echoed in one of the other reviews the food does take a while to come out the kitchen, on our last visit we waited 50 minutes for a jacket potato and a burger! Our drinks were finished and we were past hunger when the food finally arrived - My jacket potato filling was incorrect (not shocked given this had happened on the two previous visits) but they managed to produce the correct freshly cooked jacket potato in less than 10 minutes which made waiting 50 minutes for the first on even more irritating - Had we been told at the time of ordering that there was a 50 minutes wait on food we would have gone elsewhere as most people only get an hour for lunch.
We will visit again as the food when it arrives (regardless if its what you ordered or what you just accept because you cant wait for the correct food to be cooked!) is of a high standard and enjoyable, I just wish they would sort the service out to match.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank SunshineDoll2
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“First visit, but definitely not the last!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I had been wanting to visit Baker Street Kitchen for a while and was certainly not disappointed! The decor, ambience, attentive staff, good value, and brilliant food all completely hit all the right spots for us. Trendy and modern with a nostalgic feel they have a brilliant range of food, but really have very creative options. I was sat drooling reading the menu boards. And the specials look great too. They staff were really friendly and attentive. I will definitely be recommending this to anyone who will listen! And I will be back! I had to come review on here straight away.. Literally still full from this great food!

• Visited May 2014
Stavanger, Norway
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was recommended this 'cafe' by my daughter and was pleasantly surprised that such a place seems to be thriving in the centre Middlesbrough. I have returned on several occasions and never failed to be impressed with the quality and choice of the food offered. It is a perfect place to just drop in and eat brunch or lunch and on each of my visits there has been lots of friendly staff to ensure swift service. It is now a regular reason for visiting Middlesbrough town centre during the day.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank VicW51
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Brunch Spot!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Gorgeous place to grab a sandwich and coffee. Staff are always chatty and helpful, menu is vast and you can pick and create your own with no problems. Always fresh ingredients and lots of choice for afters. Not the cheapest place in the world, but so worth it for atmosphere and quality.

• Visited April 2014