“Fabulous”

Ranked #3 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Birkenhead
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was an unexpected delight! - Beautiful stylish contemporary interiors in a historic georgian building situated in the heart of Norwich with a warm and friendly welcome and great food and service - what more can you ask for?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Having advised and confirmed my arrival time, (from 1400 ), I was spoilt on arrival with not only the fresh cakes (luxuriant brownie and a physalis garnish..which didn't last either) but also a delightful and proper pot of tea with antique "Grannie's best" china, bliss after 6 hours travel. Resisted the urge to curl up in the oversized chair for two and girded myself to go and wander around Norwich Lanes and market an easy 5-7 minute stroll straight down St Giles, past lovely eateries, antique jewellers, and was in the heart of town by the market and Royal Arcade quickly. I mooched back 2 hours later with shopping and hid it all in my walk in dressing area and tea bar! My recommended taxi firm called on arrival, were a fixed fee, were on time and very clean with nice drivers (ladies pse note). My room was at the top of the house so 2 flights of stairs ( make sure you get the right set as I didn't when coming back from shopping...my easy mistake and I chose to have a room at the top), it was large, airy, immaculate and the flowers were delightful, elegant and the whole room was tranquil with a lovely view ( and no noise and little light at night). I slept comfortably on gorgeous high count cotton sheets and luxuriated in the bathroom with iplayer radio via house wifi on my phone before the well commented on breakfast listening to ( I can recommend the yoghurt and plum compote) and just had alight cooked breakfast, much to William's concern... I would have loved a full cooked or pancakes, maple syrup and bacon or eggs florentine/Benedict/royale but this was not for me a heavy treat breakfast day. Some of the other guests had TFE and it looked gorgeous. I know it is much commented on as a place to stay, but when people asked where I was staying there were 'oooh's and aaar's and comments of '"Is it as lovely as they say?", yes it is, and it's small, discreet, tranquil and I was spoilt all in a rather lovely old fashioned truly hospitable way, It was fun to see the box of Oranges in the kitchen ready for the squeezer, and there was honeycomb honey too a true treat. If you are a discerning traveller and you want discreet luxury, tranquility and do not need a desk to work at, this is a gem.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lis2472014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

There's a lot that I recognise in the previous reviews. The room was much larger than I expected and very comfortable (though cold, despite the radiators); very nicely appointed; with a delicious piece of cake next to the kettle in the room. The location was also very good. The breakfast was fresh and tasty. Would I recommend it to anyone else? Probably not, because what let this place down for me was the unsmiling and very cool service from the moment I arrived, when a young woman showed me to my room and didn't once smile or ask me anything other than if I'd stayed there before and what time I wanted breakfast. The next morning, the hosts were polite but distant - there was no 'good morning', again no smiles, in fact a bit of a sense that I was in the way. I know it must be difficult to run a b&b, but I don't want to be made aware of that when I stay in one. A shame, as all the previous reviews made me think my experience would be a very different one.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

From the moment that my fiancé and I were greeted by the owner William we felt special yet comfortable. William and us got to know each another over tea and cake and he was more than happy to answer all of our inane touristy questions! We were shown to our suite and were blown away by the character and size of the 'modern apartment' style of it. On the table were fresh flowers and crisp Egyptian cotton linen on the bed with refreshingly expensive l'occitane toiletries in the shower room. The complimentary grand array of teas and coffees were always well stocked and the homemade locally sourced breakfast was sublime! We fell in love with the place which in turn made Stella's and my special night away turn into 2 nights!! I genuinely cannot recommend this guest house and owner more!! We will absolutely be regular visitors!! Thank-you William for going above and beyond and making our visit all we could have wished for!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed at 38 St Giles for 3 nights, and loved the place. Very clean, comfortable and friendly - a class act. Room was light and spacious with a very comfortable bed, contemporary bathroom complete with L'Occitane toiletries. Selection of quality teas/coffees/hot chocolate, fresh milk and homemade cakes with fresh flowers in the room were the finishing touches. Range and quality of the breakfasts was brilliant - the plums and yoghurt definitely worth trying. Location wise, set in the heart of Norwich, was ideal for us. William (the owner) was very helpful without being intrusive - recommended a couple of restaurants and a pub which had its own brewery (the Plough) - which served excellent ales. We tried one of the restaurants (the Maddermarket Kitchen) which was so good we went again on our last evening. We would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brill M
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 January 2014

38 St Giles is, unsurprisingly, on 38, St Giles St in central Norwich. One glance away and you can miss it - it shares its entrance with a nursery. The building is grade II Georgian and it shows! Our first-floor rooms (that's right, plural!) were beautiful high-ceilinged affairs with stucco. This is offset by boutiquey appointments and furniture, providing a delightful effect.
Each evening we received homemade cakes and english tea. The breakfasts were superb - homemade bread, local produce (my only tiny tiny disappointment was my dashed hope for kippers, but, oh well...)
Service was exceptionally friendly. Bathrooms worked (not to be taken for granted in England!)
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We took the double room with suite furthest from the entrance. The kids' room was immediately ab...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We were in love with our room the moment we stepped foot in - with the high ceilings, lovely decor, and fantastic service, we knew we'd made the right choice. We were welcomed with tea and cake, and slept like lambs after our day out in the heart of Norwich (which is immediately on the doorstep). And breakfast the next morning was phenomenal - it easily rivaled the best brunch places we frequent in London. I'd come here for the food alone!

Room Tip: We took the bottom street level room and didn't have any problems with noise at all. It could...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple