“Cookery school experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lavender House

The Lavender House
Ranked #84 of 817 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Cookery school experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

poor and again poor customer service.
Start time 09:45, we arrived at 09:30, we found our way into into the bar where there was coffee served and tea on request.

After about 10 minutes, as I don't drink coffee or tea I asked for a glass of water, I was offered a glass of tap water 'is this OK' ... My husband had paid £140 for this privelidge!

We spent 20 or so minutes listening to the ramblings on about the history of the house/restaurant and then taken into the kitchen. We were told what we would be cooking. We were shown how to chop an onion and a carrot. The chef described the herb thyme as rosemary until I pointed out it was thyme! When preparing the dessert all our ingredients were already prepared (Good)! but I found a piece of crumpled paper in my ingredients, I handed it to the chef .....He joked, I was NOT impressed. During the 'school' we were asked what we would like to drink I asked for a glass of water ..... not forthcoming until I asked again half an hour later. Lunch provided was mediocre, a demitasse of thick soup, Chicken with new potatoes, mushrooms and wild garlic and a jus. I did enjoy the chicken but others found the jus too salty. The dessert was sticky toffee pudding...... Horrid!!!! The caramel sauce was gritty, the pudding was so thick I could have rendered the outside of the house. I had to ask for water on the table yet again.

Finally for £140 (and I took my friend so another £140) we took away the food we had prepared, had a middle of the range luch and shown how to chop an onion and carrot. We didn't even get to keep the aprons!!!!

This experience wasted half a day and sadly I won't get that time refunded.... never again!

• Visited March 2014
6 Thank Alison D
NorwichRichard, Owner at The Lavender House, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hi

Recently wrote a reasoned response to this post, but some 10 days later its still hasn't appeared. Can you advise please?
Richard Hughes

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Wish I could give 6 stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

One of the best meals we've ever eaten. Taster menu just perfection from start to finish complemented by good wine and excellent service. Superb in every way. Yes it was expensive, but totally worth it.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Saveling
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Must surely soon get its first Michelin Star!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Richard Hughes has done a superb job with this gem in Norfolk. He oozes passion and considerable culinary skills whilst keeping this restaurant directly interactive with its clientel. The tasting menu experienced on Friday night was sublime right from the very first course (parmesan custard). This is well worth a short taxi ride and the supporting staff are clearly well trained, attentive and genuine without overacting the hospitality card. The quality is Michelin Star without the prices...you'll pay around £45.00 per head for A la carte and £65.00 for Tasting Menu but be very hungry because this is not Nuvo Cuisine!! The wine is excellent and very competitve too. What a treat!!!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Barry E
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice place, good food and excellent cookery school!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have eaten here a few times in the past. I've always liked the place, but last saturday had the opportunity to attend a cookery class here. This was British classics. Richard Hughes took us through a few recipes in the kitchen. Great fun. The best part though, was the lunch after the course! Thoroughly enjoyed this. OK, it was just an uncomplicated lunch, which I am sure was enhanced by the feelings of hunger developed in the kitchen, but overall I really like this place. And Richard Hughes is a great host. Keep up the good work! And check out the menu from 1961 which is framed and on the wall...

• Visited February 2014
Mulbarton
“Best Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been a few times to the lavender house. Always for Sunday Lunch. The staff make you feel very special and the food is always superbly cooked and presented. I would recommend this place to everyone