“Clean, quiet and inexpensive”
Review of Central Hotel

Central Hotel
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Clean, quiet and inexpensive”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed here for three nights, and was pleasantly surprised by how nice this inexpensive B&B was. I had a single en-suite room, that was large, with a good TV and nice shower.
A kettle and coffee and tea was provided, with plenty of sachets for multiple cups.
I was also surprised by nice clean towels every evening.

My slight disappointment was a lumpy mattress, but I was assured that this would be looked at. It was certainly not bad enough to complain about, I mentioned it to the staff as I left.

I did not order breakfast, but the dining room was clean and tidy, and other people's breakfasts looked good.

It's location right by the station suited me very well, and it is about a five minute walk up the hill to the castle.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank alex_2010101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Tooting
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I spent one night in a twin room here as part of a group. One of our party stayed in a single room in the main building and his room & bathroom were a decent size. The rest of us were sent to the annexe, another building up the road which has been fashioned into some very odd shaped hotel rooms. Our twin was very small with a long hallway leading to a step down to the sleeping area. The bathroom was tiny. As my friend commented you could actually have a shower while sitting on the toilet. The door banged on the corner of one of the beds as there was no room for it to swing open fully. The water was very hot and the temperature did not change when you turned the dial.
As a previous reviewer mentions no shampoo is provided and the towels are definitely in need of replacing. Mine was a very grubby shade of white and my friend's was 'half a towel' - basically a full sized towel torn in half with a frayed edge!
There was a small TV in the room and a travel-sized kettle for making tea & coffee. One of the windows looked directly into the main street below so you need to be careful when drying off (there's not room to do this in the bathroom itself) and getting changed.
There was no wardrobe in the room but instead a couple of hooks on the wall and some plastic hangers as well as a small chest of drawers.
This is really just a functional crash pad. I can't imagine anyone would not want to linger in the room.
We didn't sample breakfast so I can't comment on that but the staff were friendly & helpful enough.
If you need a cheap place to stay near the station with no frills this place will do the job - just remember your shampoo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building rather than the annexe
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I stayed overnight last weekend. It was just what I needed: close to the station, not too far to walk into town, and breakfast provided in the morning. The room was fine; evidently two rooms had been carved out of one larger one, so it was narrow and high-ceilinged, but not problematic. It was a perishing cold night outside, but the heating in the room was ample to drive it away. I slept very well.

It's worth noting that you should take your own shampoo if you're staying here - a small tablet of soap is provided with the towels, but no other frills.

Breakfast was just what was needed; hearty and hot, and the staff were charming and friendly.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank James H
Reviewed 11 January 2013

It's a perfect little hotel on the riverside. From the minute I walked in I felt welcomed into the hotel. I am a hotel manager anyway so I sometimes look at a few things in a lot of depth (sad of me I know) but I couldn't fault the room the staff or even the breakfast in the morning ! If you ever book there by late rooms add the breakfast on because for £4.00 it's great value !!!! Also one of my pet hates it walking into a hotel / the room and it's cold but throughout the hotel it was lovely and warm and cosy !!! To sum this place up in a few words !!! Friendly staff !!! Welcoming!!!! Clean!!!!! And perfect!!!! Don't change a thing guys your doing a perfect job!!!!! Keep it up !!!!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Lupson91
UK
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Perfect location for train station and nightlife this b & b is ideal for somewhere after a night out with friends. Staff are very helpful. Whole place could do with decorating but was adequate. Breakfast was very nice. They need some new towels though, definitely seen better days.

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed in the annex of this small hotel and found it in good condition. The small room was very clean, as was the ensuite. The breakfast was very good and the staff were both welcoming and helpful. We were in Norwich for a football match and the location was excellently placed for travelling to the stadium and catching the train home. It was also only a short walk from the market area of the city.

Room Tip: We stayed in the annex which was quiet with a view of the river.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

On arrival it was quick and efficient, had to pay £5 for on street parking not happy about that! as most hotels are free parking, we had booked a three bed room for £75 + £15 for breakfast, we set off to room number 5,on arrival at room number 5 it looked from the outside like a broom cupboard, but once the door was opend it revealed a very steep flight of stairs to the secret room in the attic, visions of Narnia sprang to mind! the adventure was about to begin! on reaching the top of the stairs we found ourselves in a attic room with no windows, this was an absolute first for me! never have I stayed in a windowless hotel room before and was a total new experience, we then found if you opened the ensuite door we could have daylight through the bathroom window, the bedroom was cleen but the carpets stained and the room looking tired, the hotel could be described as shabby chic, well more shabby than chic! Its in need of a revamp, breakfast was good. Close to the railway station and the town night life, more like a place to stay on a lads night out!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 5 it's windowless!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank loloicaq

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels