“Friendly, small hotel ticks all the boxes (and looked after our bikes!)”
Review of Stracey Hotel

Stracey Hotel
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is a few minutes walk / 2 minutes ride from Norwich station, which is just over the bridge from the city centre. I was impressed - it seems to be really well run. It was clean and inviting, the staff were great and the room (a family room shared between 2 friends) was spot on. We were at the end of a cycling holiday and our bikes were stored in the yard, which was locked (though not under cover). My friend has worked in a few hotels and was very impressed that the yard was clean, tidy and free of junk! Decor was fresh, bathroom great with a walk in shower. A minor problem with the sink plug was reported to reception, who were on the spot to deal with it straight away. We didn't try the bar downstairs as we wanted to see Norwich but it looked good enough to be a temptation. Breakfast was good, well cooked and plentiful. Go there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Stracey is 10 minute walking distance from the Norwich Train Station. The property is very clean, and the staff excellent! Nice folks work there. The breakfast is really good. A great pub is 5 minutes away too. Fairly quiet area on a Saturday night, even with the windows open.

We would stay there again.

Oh yeah, the minor quirks......the room we stayed in on the top floor was at one time part of the attic, so the roof line is the ceiling on half of the room. I stood up in the middle of the night and smacked my head on the slanted ceiling roof line. Hopefully I didn't dent it. The rooms are not A/C'd so the heat rises in the building, and you have to really open the widows to get the heat out. That might be a problem in a heat wave. And there's no lift, so if you have heavy bags, be prepared to carry them up to the third floor. If you can lug your own bags up the stairs, this is a great place to stay....

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor in hot weather, or with heavy baggage.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel in May as a couple. Hotel is in a great location, right by the station and not too far from great bars and restaurants. Really clean room. Bathroom is tiny and the layout of the room was very weird! I could only stand up right on one side of the room as the ceiling was low!!

Otherwise a nice stay and very good breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I got a single room which was really pleasant, spacious, sunny and clean. Nice choice of tea/coffee/biscuits and of toiletries items (including body lotion). The hotel is a short walk from the station and the city centre. The staff was really helpful, and theu also found me a power adapter. Recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 519bc
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Belated review....stayed here in March when Man City played Norwich.
This hotel was a real find, it is spotless, the staff are very friendly and the rooms had just had a refurb.
Our room was spotless, and was quieter than we expected as we were at the front looking over the street.. It was very comfortable and the shower was the best I have ever used!
The breakfast was great.
Easy walk into the city centre, would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed only for one night but the stay was lovely. The room was huge, very well eqquiped, excellent decoration, excellent view (two windows to the street).

Bed was comfortable, the heat was a litlle high for me.

The shower was small but managable.

Very good breakfast.

The only problem was that they don't have a lift and it's hard to move big suitcaises through the stairs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed two nights. Staff was friendly and helpful. My room was comfortable, and clean, and no noise problems. Breakfast was good, as was the pub meal I had the night I arrived (though portions were much too large for me to finish). The location was very convenient to sites in town (cathedral, castle, etc.). The only downside that could be a problem for some is that there is no elevator and the stairs are a bit steep and narrow. I was on the top (third) floor. However, the staff were quick to help with my luggage and there are good handrails, so it was okay for me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business