“Very friendly and clean hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marlborough Guest House

and 1 more site!
Marlborough Guest House
Ranked #13 of 86 Norwich B&B and Inns
“Very friendly and clean hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Marlborough for one night (Sat to Sun) with my boyfriend. Clean and newly-refurbished room, very friendly staff and a tasty full english for breakfast. Would definitively come back and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a nice place to stay in Norwich.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
rugeley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was recommended the Marlbrough by a friend who has used it on numerous occasions before and wasn't disappointed. Booked a 3 night stay and was told at the time of booking that I would need to change rooms for the third night to a none en-suite but this would be reflected in the price and this was fine. The 3rd night was a Saturday and hotel prices across the city were very dear and rooms hard to find.
Both rooms I stayed in were fine, clean and comfortable. The location was great, breakfasts fantastic and high quality and the owner was really friendly and helpful. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished and will be even better once complete. If I were to come to Norwich in the future I wouldn't hesitate to book here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed at the Marlborough house as a travelling football fan from Bristol to watch Norwich city. I was not disappointed - I drove straight to the hotel where there was a parking space waiting for me - I stepped out the car and could see the ground in the distance - what a fantastic location. I went into reception to be greeted by Robert and Maxine - smartly dressed and presented! Robert took my bag and shown me to my room. On the way he explained that the guest house was undergoing some refurbishment and I would be staying in one of the traditional rooms. The room was great for what I needed and out of the window, again I could see Carrow road! I had one of the comfiest nights sleep I've had in a long time - no noise at all and the bed was great. In the morning I was met with a breakfast served by Maxine - she explained that they use local butchers for their meat and you could definitely tell! The breakfast set me up for the day perfectly as well as the warm welcome chat with Robert throughout the morning! I felt like I'd known them both for years - they were friendly, relaxed and welcoming and provided a great knowledge of the city and surrounding areas! I checked out and headed to the ground - on the way out, Robert said to me that he and a friend had a BBQ burger stall on the corner - again locally produced food - fantastic! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, I was left with a great feeling about the place and couldn't recommend it more. Great if you are a football fan or even just looking for a weekend away in a friendly environment ! Thanks very much

• Stayed August 2013
Aylesford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in a single room. It was small, but clean and adequate for my purposes, and with the inclusive cooked breakfast, very good value for money. The bed was a little soft for my liking, but I slept well. The singe rooms (I believe they have 4) share a separate WC and shower. Not an issue for me, but may not suit everybody. The larger rooms are all en-suite.

One minor concern: the kettle lead wasn't long enough to reach the socket from the tea/coffee tray - I had to prop the kettle on the waste-bin!

The Marlborough is currently being refurbished, so several rooms were out of service, and there were a number of tradesmen in evidence. When finished in its minimalist, modern style, it should be quite attractive.

Room Tip: Single rooms are not en-suite: The WC and shower are shared between (I think) 4 rooms. The rooms at...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

The guesthouse is on a rolling upgrade. My room had not been at the time of staying but was clean. Paper thin walls divided the rooms ( a friend was in the other and he remarked how he could hear my telephone conversation ) - previously it was one large room! Four rooms shared a shower/toilet room (which had been upgraded and was in good order). I just think in this day and age 4 people shouldn't be sharing. On arrival checking in the 7 of us in 7 rooms appeared to be so difficult even though we were the only people checking in at the time.
My room at the front of the building on the first floor overlooked Railtrack and Royal Mail yards so traffic and workmen were in and out late at night and very early in the morning. I did have a great view of the Norwich footfall ground.
We didn't meet Robert the owner until breakfast. Breakfast was good and he was most obliging.
Not somewhere I will go back to when there is a Premier Lodge close by, more central and with guaranteed en-suite.

Room Tip: Rear of the building but make sure it is away from the kitchen noise
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank U3A2012
Salisbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have awarded a poor/terrible rating only once before, but I hardly know where to begin to describe just how bad our experience was of the Marlborough House Hotel/Guest House.
Our stay there has been a lesson in not believing what you see on a website.
We booked a four night stay after seeing how nice the newly refurbished rooms looked on the website.
The room we were allocated bore no resemblance to the pictures on the website and I cannot believe anyone could consider it was fit to be let to paying guests.
We arrived on a cold, wet afternoon and were greeted by a man who was not the proprietor and did not introduce himself.
The entrance hall was cold and smelled damp and musty, and the reception looked like a Chinese takeaway with a giant TV and sofa and a few leaflets.
We were shown to a tiny room on the ground floor. We were shocked by its appearance and appalled by the bathroom. It was like stepping back to the 1960s.
The carpet was shabby, the curtains faded, thin and with gaps at the top, and the wardrobe, bedside table and sideboard should have been disposed of years ago. We did not unpack.
It is the most depressing room I have ever seen. The kettle needed a thorough clean before we could use it.
The bathroom was dreadful: a chipped basin with a rusty plughole, taps that did not turn off fully, a rolled up shower curtain, towels that were small, thin and old, and no toilet roll – just sheets.
There was no shampoo provided and the only soap was a half-used Carex, similar to that found in hospitals.
The bedroom was so cold, we asked the man if he knew how to adjust the heating.
He replied that the heating didn’t come on until 6pm and, we later discovered, went off at 9pm!
We were so cold in bed (one blanket was provided) that we kept our socks and cardigan on.
The breakfast room, while pleasantly decorated in a minimalistic style, was cold and breakfast was basic.
In hindsight, we should have left on the evening we arrived, but there was no sign of the proprietor that evening.
We asked to talk to him after breakfast (out of politeness we waited until other guests had left for the day) and told him we would be checking out.
He seemed amazed we had any complaints and said with no embarrassment that the non-refurbished rooms attracted the same charge as the refurbished ones!
How could that possibly be right or fair?
We were offered the opportunity to see a refurbished room, but what would have been the point as none was available?
I couldn’t wait to leave.
All in all it was the most depressing place I have ever stayed and it will take some time to get over the experience.
It has taught us two valuable lessons – do not believe what you see on websites and only stay in B&Bs that have been recommended by people you know and trust.

Room Tip: Insist on a refurbished room, otherwise don't even think about staying.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank kittyginger
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

The rooms are ok if you get a refurbished one. If not dont bother. The bed was old and lop sided. The the room decor was horrible. 1 night was enough for me. Also found some bodys body hair in the bed. The night porter is also very rude and unhelpful....
Stop in the travelodge its much better value for money

• Stayed June 2013