“Number 17 - The only place to stay in Norwich”
Review of number 17

number 17
Ranked #15 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have just returned from a trip to Norwich where I stayed in Number 17, Colegate and I cannot wait to go back! Jim and Glynis Clark are very warm and welcoming, and made my stay even more enjoyable. Nothing was too much trouble...Jim kindly carried my very heavy bag up to my room on the first floor, almost throwing his back out! The guesthouse itself is beautiful with a mixture of traditional features and modern facilities. I stayed in Room 1 which was beautiful and very comfortable with a lovely view out of the sash window over the courtyard. My room was also immaculate and each day my room was cleaned and fresh towels laid out. Glynis's breakfasts were marvellous! The choice was vast from natural yoghurt and fresh fruit to freshly baked pastries to a full English breakfast cooked to order. I would plan the next day's breakfast before I had even finished the one I was eating! Jim was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and beyond, and was happy to answer questions about Norwich as well as suggest places to visit and things to do. I was travelling alone so I really enjoyed and appreciated my chats with Jim over breakfast. The guesthouse is in a great location being just 5 minutes from the train station by taxi but if your bag isn't as heavy as mine was you could easily walk it! The city centre is less than a five minute walk away and there is lots to see and do within the historic city. I plan on returning to Norwich at Easter and I wouldn't stay anywhere other than Number 17! I have already had Jim 'pencil me in' for the stay in one of the family rooms as when I return I shall be with friends. Paula - Liverpool

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1 which was beautiful with a lovely view over the courtyard. The bathroom was mode...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Po47

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were in Norfolk for a family wedding and found Number 17 for us and other family members from abroad. All rooms were clean but we would strongly recommend that you ask for rooms at the rear as ours' was on the street side and was very noisy with the windows open and very hot with them shut, add in a few drunks going home and the refuse/recycling lorry at 06.00ish and I did not get as good night's sleep, which is unusual for me. Breakfast was good although we had to rush some of the party to order by 09.30 on a bank holiday morning. We had read previous reviews and were disappointed by our own experience.

Room Tip: Ensure you avoid rooms 2 and 3!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gumbo44
Reviewed 22 August 2013

After a long day of traveling to Norwich from Canada, I arrived at number 17, and learned that I had been upgraded to a larger room for my one night stay. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the bathroom was lovely with a large tub for a relaxing soak. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and it was a great way to start a busy day. I had booked my accommodations only for one night, however I wish I could have stayed longer at number 17 as it suited all of my needs perfectly. When I return to Norwich I have no hesitation to book a longer stay at number 17. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent B&B located perfectly for a night out in Norwich. The owners are friendly and really helpful. Town parking permits allow you to shop and make an easy getaway. There are family rooms with attic bedrooms for the kids all nicely decorated, that's if you must bring them and nice showers.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 1llustrator
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed at Number 17 with family for a weekend visit to Norwich. Booked two double rooms and a family room. The family room was excellent and and very modern. The two rooms allocated in the main building were rooms two and three. Room Three was very nice and spacious with a modern on suite shower room with basin and toilet. Room Two was a disapointment, the room was small with a very small ensuite shower room with toilet and a tiny washbasin which was totally impractical except for hand washing. The room appeared to have been fitted out by an enthusiastic amateur and was not up to the standard of the other rooms. That being said the room was spotlessly clean and the bed was comfortable. The welcome tray was exceptionally good.

Apart from this disapointment everything else was superb, the breakfast was fantastic with a wide range of choice and the 'full english' really was a 'FULL ENGLISH' and a credit to the chef.

This B&B is ideal for touring Norwich on foot as it is centrally situated in a quiet area of the city.

Parking is no problem as there is a car park at the rear of the premises and guests at the B&B can park free with a permit provided by the hosts.

The hosts Jim and Glynis were a mine of information and extremely welcoming.

This B&B gets rave reviews from Tripadvisor subscribers and quite rightly so.

Room Tip: Avoid room Two as it is small with a tiny ensuite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DENNIS M
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Jim and Glynis were excellent hosts. Their main accomodation was superior. The dining room was spotless and spacious. To the rear is a converted outbuilding containing very pleasant 'lodge' style accomodation. Breakfast was on a par with other good establishments. Location is ideal with the main centre on the doorstep. Immediately behind the B&B is a council car park which was ideal for parking my motorcycle overnight. It was absolutely no trouble for Glynis to forward my phone charge which I had forgotten to pack. Would most definitely stay there again and recommend it. Thanks Jim/Glnys

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank spud3568
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed for one night and enjoyed our stay. The owners were very helpful especially with a parking permit for the nearby car park. Our room was a little small but the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was excellent as was the dining area.

Room Tip: There is an annexe with rooms as well as the main building. Ask which room you're having , it ma...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple