number 17
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
Central Hotel(Norwich)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bfresh fruitcharming courtyardsingle beds upstairspretty courtyardfamily roomconverted barnkippersfull englishlanes arealovely cooked breakfastmain buildingcar parkbeautiful bathroomhanging spacecity centreexcellent location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have just arrived back home from a lovely long weekend break in Norwich to attend a family wedding.

We were part of a large party or "clan" as Jim would say. Jim and Glynis were very accommodating and understanding that this was a family get together.

We are all very grateful that you let the kids and the adults have a good time!

I sincerely hope none of the other guests complained.

The Breakfast was superb all cooked to order and fresh quality ingredients (proper thick bacon and bright yellow yokes on the eggs) Everything was cooked to perfection!

The little court yard was peaceful with plenty of little birds visiting and places to sit and relax.

The bedrooms and family rooms were all clean modern and well equipt (toiletries, hair dryer, good selection of hot drinks kettle and biscuits)

The family rooms are defiantly value for money.

Rooms are cleaned everyday and fresh lovely smelling towels supplied.

Location was brill close to town and plenty of dinning and drinking options available within two min walk.

Thanks again Jim and Glynis, x

Hope to visit again

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AL150N_MCB
Reviewed 3 September 2013

When we decided at my company to take a more cost effective approach to regular accommodation than our usual four star hotels I ventured into the change to bed and breakfast with some substantial trepidation. Number 17 has dispelled that trepidation. There are many top hotels that could learn valuable lessons from the standards of build, design, features, cleanliness, breakfast choice and standard and overall comfort. The city location is dull if you turn in one direction but simply outstanding if you head towards the Norwich playhouse or cathedral. A big range of bars and restaurants in the area means evenings are well catered for.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SuzanneJHeaven
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have just returned from a trip to Norwich where I stayed in Number 17, Colegate and I cannot wait to go back! Jim and Glynis Clark are very warm and welcoming, and made my stay even more enjoyable. Nothing was too much trouble...Jim kindly carried my very heavy bag up to my room on the first floor, almost throwing his back out! The guesthouse itself is beautiful with a mixture of traditional features and modern facilities. I stayed in Room 1 which was beautiful and very comfortable with a lovely view out of the sash window over the courtyard. My room was also immaculate and each day my room was cleaned and fresh towels laid out. Glynis's breakfasts were marvellous! The choice was vast from natural yoghurt and fresh fruit to freshly baked pastries to a full English breakfast cooked to order. I would plan the next day's breakfast before I had even finished the one I was eating! Jim was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and beyond, and was happy to answer questions about Norwich as well as suggest places to visit and things to do. I was travelling alone so I really enjoyed and appreciated my chats with Jim over breakfast. The guesthouse is in a great location being just 5 minutes from the train station by taxi but if your bag isn't as heavy as mine was you could easily walk it! The city centre is less than a five minute walk away and there is lots to see and do within the historic city. I plan on returning to Norwich at Easter and I wouldn't stay anywhere other than Number 17! I have already had Jim 'pencil me in' for the stay in one of the family rooms as when I return I shall be with friends. Paula - Liverpool

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1 which was beautiful with a lovely view over the courtyard. The bathroom was modern, spacious and spotlessly clean. Jim also showed me around the larger family rooms and on my next visit, I will still in one of those as I will be returning with friends.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Po47
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were in Norfolk for a family wedding and found Number 17 for us and other family members from abroad. All rooms were clean but we would strongly recommend that you ask for rooms at the rear as ours' was on the street side and was very noisy with the windows open and very hot with them shut, add in a few drunks going home and the refuse/recycling lorry at 06.00ish and I did not get as good night's sleep, which is unusual for me. Breakfast was good although we had to rush some of the party to order by 09.30 on a bank holiday morning. We had read previous reviews and were disappointed by our own experience.

Room Tip: Ensure you avoid rooms 2 and 3!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gumbo44
Reviewed 22 August 2013

After a long day of traveling to Norwich from Canada, I arrived at number 17, and learned that I had been upgraded to a larger room for my one night stay. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the bathroom was lovely with a large tub for a relaxing soak. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and it was a great way to start a busy day. I had booked my accommodations only for one night, however I wish I could have stayed longer at number 17 as it suited all of my needs perfectly. When I return to Norwich I have no hesitation to book a longer stay at number 17. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo