“An excellent B & B on Norwich's north side.”
Review of number 17

number 17
Ranked #14 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2010

This is a very good establishment in Colegate, just north of the city centre. It is much larger than one would first think, spreading back a good way from the street. There are several mews-type rooms in a courtyard, one of which I stayed in. Many bird feeders are in the courtyard, so there is the bonus of seeing numerous birds when eating breakfast, or from the rooms. Breakfasts are cooked to order by Glynis and served by Jim. There is an unusual coding system for getting out of the hotel, but once Jim explained it, it was quite easy to follow. The only slight downside is that it is quite a long way from Norwich Station, and I had a walk of over 20 minutes every morning to catch my train (I was using a Freedom of East Anglia ticket), but that shouldn't put anyone off staying here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 July 2010

Booked this B&B after reading a couple of positive reviews on here. Upon arrival I walked through the front door straight into the dining room, I could see someone in the kitchen but they didn't notice me so I walked back to the front door and rang the bell. The owner (Jim I understand, although he never introduced himself) appeared and I said I'd booked and had just arrived. His response was to ask me how did I get in? The front door should be locked, hadn't I rung the bell?! I said the door was open so I walked in but there had been no one about so I had rung the bell. He then asked my name and said he would come out and tell 'him' how to get to the one and only parking space at the back of the B&B. I said I was the driver so he would have to tell me. That was the end of the pleasantries, there was no asking if I'd had a good journey or had I travelled far. After finding my way to the back and I was shown to a twin room in the court yard next to the dining room/kitchen. I was surprised by this as these rooms are described as family rooms and there were only 2 of us & I had expected to stay within the B&B. On initial inspection the room was well equipped and clean but on closer inspection the front door was badly fitted and we along with the other guests struggled to close it to and had to bang it shut. The window was also quite badly fitting and the shutters (the only covering on the window) wouldn't stay open fully & when shut let a lot of light in making it difficult to sleep and let the light in in the early hours and woke me up. It was on the ground floor and we were having a heatwave we felt a little insecure at night leaving the window open and we also felt as if we were very much in a gold fish bowl, as the guests from the other 4 rooms walked passed ours to go to breakfast/go out. We were woken every morning at 6.15 as Jim put out the washing, the washing machine went on and we could hear the tables being set for breakfast then the early corporate guests going into the dining room. We found Jim was very attentive to his regulars who appeared to work in the media but he more or less ignored the rest of the guests who all sat and ate breakfast in silence. He also sat at a table within the dining room reading his paper and this made for a very oppressive atmosphere & any questions were met with a response from the back of his head as he continued to read. The 'reception' was also within the dining, basically a table by the kitchen door where guests had to check in/pay their account, which wasn't ideal as there was no privacy. The parking was also a bit of a problem and as Jim was very frosty I felt quite uncomfortable asking if I could get my car in/out and I did feel as if he was doing me a big favour moving his car so I could go out for the day/come back in. I had been told when I booked that I would be given a pass for the public car park at the rear, which I would have preferred as I would have been free to come and go as I pleased. The location of the B&B is good for the shops and attractions but I wouldn't advise turning left out of the B&B and left again at the end of the road, as this area seemed quite rough and on our 2nd night we were approached by a man high on drugs asking for money who was pretty persistent even after we said no, which made us feel very uncomfortable. Unfortunately the convenient location was spoilt by the very poor customer service. Even on checking out there were no pleasantries, he didn't enquire whether we had enjoyed our stay, in fact he never asked once during the week if we were if we'd had a good day out etc etc and this impoliteness spoilt an otherwise very nice week in Norwich. The Norfolk people we met during our stay were all very pleasant and extremely friendly unfortunately the same couldn't be said for the host at No. 17. A disappointing stay.

• Stayed: July 2010
3  Thank scousemouse64
Reviewed 17 June 2010

My husband was staying in Norwich for work and I stayed with him a few times at Number 17.
Its immaculately clean with great facilities and everything you could want in your room including wifi. Lovely en suite bathroom with big fluffy towels. The owners are friendly and very helpful with local information, but not intrusive. Breakfast was good with plenty of fresh fruit and pastries and the dining room is bright and airy. The location is fantastic for visiting the city.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I have stayed here several times in the last few months -- helpful hosts, comfortable, well-equipped accommodation, delicious breakfasts, and in an excellent location. I would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2010

My wife and I are just back from a great visit to Norwich and stayed at Number 17, which has recently been tastefully refurbished to a high standard. We found the owners very friendly and informative, we were informed that as our room was situated at the front of the house, it could sometimes get a bit noisey at pub closeing time. Apart from about five minutes of people walking past talking and laughing we were not disturbed. The bedroom had a nice modern feel and the shower in our on-suite was massive, another plus for the room was the free wifi access. Breakfast was also great and it really set us up for the day.
Overall Number 17 to be a high quality B&B and I would definately use it again on future visits to Norwich.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Number 17 is situated in the Medieaval centre of the city just over the river and in a very quiet location. It is within easy walking distance of the station and the historic sites.
Every detail of this small hotel has been beautifully designed by the friendly owners.
Relaxed atmosphere and excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The building which has been refurbished in a very sympathetic manner by the current owners is stunning and met all our requirements. The large open plan room with beds for the children upstairs, a double bed downstairs, a sofa by the tv and a bathroom that would not be out of place in a luxury hotel in the capital was more than adequate for our requirements.
Nothing was to much for Jim and Glynis the owners. They really ensured that our stay was as enjoyable as possible. The breakfasts, cooked to order, were amazing and the children really enjoyed the hot tub.
It was the best stay I have had in a B&B I really can't fault it in any way!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family