“Excellent Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norwich
The Norfolk Lurcher
Ranked #37 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed here a few times have always had good rooms, the food is always fresh and excellent quality prepared by quality chefs, friendly staff and the whole package was reasonably priced. If I'm in the area I will always try to get a room here first.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
12  Thank Christopher H
There are newer reviews for The Norfolk Lurcher

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Very extensive menu and seafood to die for. The staff were lovely and very attentive and nothing was too much trouble even although it was a really hot day. We were a party of 6 seniors and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
15  Thank Eastangliatwo
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We've eaten here on a number of occasions and can't fault the food or the service.

There is a whole range of choices from the slightly different, good old typical pub food, along with a decent vegetarian choice.

Easy eating in a quaint country pub.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed 26 July 2013

First the positives. Weve eaten at the ugly bug for a few years now. The owner has always been welcoming - as is Alfie the Inns dog. The food has always been good and we like the choice and a veggie menu option a bonus. But this year we became grandparents and as our daughter and family had moved into the area, we're keen to introduce them to their local.

We first noticed the sign on the door: no prams or buggies, no children in the bar. now I will be honest, I'm the sort of person who really dislikes noisy or disruptive children in bars and restaurants so I do understand the sentiment. Especially as people with children can be very inconsiderate to other diners. I went in and asked if it was ok, it being a very quiet lunch time, if we brought the 5 month old sleeping baby in. It was clear the owner only obliged because he felt he had to - but made it clear he didn't like it and explained that mothers with push chairs could be aggressive. We promised to behave, smiled sweetly and he let us in. We were the only people in the restaurant which is large enough to accommodate a small pushchair at each table. We didn't feel we would disrupt anyone and indeed we didn't get 1 cry from our sleepyhead.
If we had we would have withdrawn to the car park until she settled as we do everywhere we go.

We had our meals, again they were very nicely cooked, good sized portions of good honest food. But our initial greeting made my daughter feel uneasy, the mearest murmur from our grandaughter had her rushing to make sure no noise was made. Whilst she didn't need to feed her, making sure she had fed her before we came, she said that she would have felt unable to.

It was when we paid we noticed other signs - like the one explaining how much in bank charges are paid for you using your debit card and asking for cash instead. I really didn't like this.

I'd say this is a lovely quirky place run by an eccentric, a wide varied menu - with well cooked food - if a little circa 1970's / 80's in both food and decor. And I'd recommend it for older people wanting a meal out (it's not the place that really appeals to under 40's much) - BUT, the eccentricity of the owner means that you felt he was doing you the favour by letting you in rather than appreciating the patronage. And this wasnt just limited to people with children. Sadly our daughter won't be returning which I think is a shame.

Room Tip: I have been unable to remove the sleep quality option but as I've never stayed cannot comment so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Ann-Marie M
Reviewed 8 July 2013

A real pub for grown up people, no children in the main restaurant, what a pleasure to see cut glass glasses on the table and a menu with real food. Not sure why the previous people had got upset but probably got told they could not do something and 'threw their toys out of the pram'.
The owners know what they want - good clients who like what they provide and come back without the 'don't you do burgers' brigade. They do not know what a microwave is and only tolerate the mobile phone out of the outside chance of the 'Emergency'. Anyway we had great food on the new patio area ----samphire and Cappaccio superb with lemon sole with crab topping and a sea salad with fresh Cromer crab. If we had wanted pub food whatever that is ?we could have had sausage and mash or cod & chips, liver & bacon much more.Keep doing what you are doing and do not let the opposition writing on your site make you change !!!!!!!

Room Tip: BE NICE! and you will have a great time
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
15  Thank Beth B
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My wife and I have recently returned from our sixth visit to the Ugly Bug, in that time John and Alison have gradually improved the place, all rooms have been improved, the last one being the downstairs one which we always use as I am disabled.Since our last visit the addition of a wet room and the removal of an unnecessary wall has improved the room but you couldn't say that it would be suitable for someone with severe disabilities as there isn't enough room to manoeuvre a wheelchair comfortably but for somebody like myself who can still get around with the aid of a frame it is adequate.
I really don't understand the negative comments of some of the reviewers regarding the food we have always found it to be of a very high standard and this year was no exception, in fact the starter of scallops in a source I had on one of the nights was one of the best things I have ever tasted! When you hear night after night the owner and his wife greeting people by name it is obvious they get a lot of return visits which is always a good sign and Alisons breakfast are to die for - we will return

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank 301lincolnshirelad
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This is superficially a traditional English pub. However I think the main impetus is on the food side. The pub area was deserted by 10 o'clock (maybe Norfolkers are abstemious). The menu is extensive, but we stuck with the specials. The food was good, but portion control was a bit random, I being a victim of this with the scallops. Service is idiosynchratic but that's not a problem. I would probably would not go back there if I visited this area again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank elaine1410
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Park Farm Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to The Norfolk Lurcher? Share your experiences!