“Can be good value but beware breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Brook Hotel Norwich

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BEST WESTERN Brook Hotel Norwich
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
London
“Can be good value but beware breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

There are some plus points to this hotel, such as the large free parking, the fairly comfortable beds, the decent shower pressure. It's true that the rooms are dated, and it's not an understatement to say that it's like stepping back to the seventies. But the big let-down for us was the atrocious breakfast.
Brook management: please take note! The first thing people when they come down for breakfast is a tea or coffee. We were not welcomed or sat, and had got through most of the self-service breakfast before realising that nobody would ask us what we wanted to drink. My wife had to get up and fetch the tea dispenser from behind the counter! The food itself was tasteless and of very limited choice, but the breakfast is cheap. I would rather have paid a bit more for better service and better offerings. Thank you to the front desk for refunding us a small amount because of this dissatisfaction. But I hope never to hear the phrase "this is the first time somebody's complained" again. Bad, bad, bad.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have been staying at the Brook hotel for over two years now on and off when in the area on business. although in the past thing have not bee to good it has suficed for my needs ie a good bed for the night when away with good food and comfort. Mor important value for money

I am a valued member card holder offering me a 5% discount on accomadatation and food.
First things first when I have booked in the past it has always been a very competitive price this time however the price had been hiked up £20.00 on my normal rate the explanation was we are undergoing refurbisment., OK thats OK but Refurbishment a lick of paint a dull drab brown colour at that sorry Brook hotel refurbisment is not just a lick of paint!!!!

The bathrooms are just as befor adequate the carpets in the mail stairs are still thread bare paint all over the carpet in the corridor no doubt these are next to be changed.

The bar area is still the same and the food still ok but that is all you can say breakfast is of buffet style and depending on what time you get down for it depends on the quality. However plenty of chioce but cheap products the orange juice is cheap and tasteless the food is cooked well but done on a stricked budget.

So come on Brook hotel if you are going to up your prices in line with other hotels in the area you are going to have to up your game and match the quality and comfort of these hotels

unfortunatley for me you have priced yourself out of my allowence for staying away so I will now have to find a new hotel.

You are trying to be somthing you are not This is not and never will be a five star hotel !!

Room Tip: Not the back of the hotel lots of road noise from the main road
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elizabeth P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Brook Hotel Norwich, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Firstly I would like to thank you for your review. The Hotel is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment programme during which the hotel bedrooms are being re-decorated and re-styled. This does mean that prices are increasing but I feel that this reflects positively the changes that are being made and the prices are still extremely competitive for this area.

Our loyalty scheme offers a 5% discount on both accommodation and food at the Hotel and I feel is definitely a discount card worth having!

Over the next few weeks we will be decorating the main staircase which includes a new carpet being laid, as well as a new carpet in the first floor corridor.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us and am disappointed you felt unable to share your concerns with a member of our management team who would have been able to negotiate a competitive deal for you to ensure your continued business with us.
Maidstone, Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I booked The Brook for a business trip to Norwich. I'd like to either be more enthusiastic or more damning, but I can't. In pretty much every way the hotel was simply adequate.

Rooms are located on two floors on a more or less square floor plan, set off a long corridor with lights that come on as you walk. They are just bland rooms - the usual kettle, work-surface with cupboards under, a wardrobe and a TV. Nothing special, just adequate. Thin but adequate bedding, providing the room was not too cold.

My room was bloody cold so I called the desk and was promised an engineer. He never showed, I went for a walk and, when I returned they said it had been fixed. It hadn't. The desk guy was fairly helpful, gave me a portable heater which did the job. Adequate.

The restaurant was a little pricey for the setting so I opted for a bar meal, choosing the red Thai veg curry. It was not exciting but it was reasonably tasty, it was adequate.

Having a heap of work to do, I logged onto the hotel's wifi. Good, solid service but limited download. Adequate again.

Breakfast was okay; they'd run out of eggs by the time I got there are were slow enough replenishing them that I didn't bother. The usual breakfast bits were there but I've had a lot more choice elsewhere for the same and less money. I had to find the server and make a point of asking for coffee. I'm not complaining - it was adequate.

I was paying three-star money for this but it was really a two-star experience. It was, as I say, okay in a vanilla sort of way. Would I go back there? Probably not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We spent 3 nights here in March 2012. The hotel and rooms are clean, efficient and comfortable.
What really made it a good stay was the staff. We blew a room fuse when we plugged in an appliance (it could have been the fault of our appliance) on Sunday night. Within a few minutes someone was there to have a look at it, and when they decided that it would take a time to sort out, we were politely moved to another room. The restaurant staff are equally helpful and efficient. Very good value for money booking with LateRooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Here at the Brook we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and I am delighted to hear that your problem was dealt with efficiently. I hope you visit us again in the future.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The Brook Hotel is no frills but good value for money. Slowly being refurbished after a previous incarnation went into administration. Sadly the pool and fitness centre closed then and are not a high priority in terms of refurbishment. The rooms are the rear of the hotel are quite nosiy as they back onto the Fakenham Road. The quieter rooms face onto the courtyard. Breakfast basic, the tea is rubbish so go for coffee. The city centre is 15-20 minutes away, with a good regular bus service from close to the hotel.

1 Thank Chenders
Whitefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Only problems were poor temperature controls on shower and the hairdryer seeming to almost seize up before cooled down- service was excellent-both desk and dining room-bed whiich we like hard was v comfortable and room v clean - surroundings -nb dining room were a little drab in places but functional -was ready for valentines day but we wouldnt have wanted a romantic trip here-breakfast was quite adequate and carvery dinner with suitable range of other dishes fine for one night

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We booked this on a late site and at just £66 for the two nights was tremendous value. The room was spacious and spotless, and a small problem with the central heating was quickly sorted out.

The only comment about the room was the towels were a little on the rough side so be warned, although we raised this with the hotel when we left so, all might be better.

We had an evening meal in the hotel and this again was good value, but we also had a meal just over the road in the "Clock Tower" and it was even better.

To sum up, a very good hotel in a great location, with staff who seem to realy care about the quality of your stay. Great value and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Dowwnstairs rear is very quite