“Good base for Norfolk, Great improvement on last years stay”

Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Legh on sea
“Good base for Norfolk, Great improvement on last years stay”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stay here last year as it was the best price hotel in the area, last year dispite being a little run down it was good value for money. This year the room was a little more expensive but included breakfast. However the place has been greatly improved, re decorated (bathrooms still original and a little run down). The place looks much freasher inside and out. Nice breakfast, we may try the value 2 for 1carvery this evening. The staff are very attentive and friendy staff. Great value for £108 for 2 people for 2 nights. Have to recommend this place. Ps. Our room had a modern flat screen tv and ac, free wifi

Room Tip: Chose a room on the ground floor as I think all these have been refurbished.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Elizabeth P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to be able to report that all our rooms have now been refurbished and are looking fresh. I am delighted that you feel that we offer value for money and that the staff are attentive and friendly. I will pass your comments onto the staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
north west
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Booked as an overnight base to watch our son who was playing at the nearby football academy, we got there relatively late after a 5 1/2 hour trip. The receptionist was helpful and curteous. Room was lovely and spacious. The bathrooms have obviously not had the makeover that the rest of the hotel has had, and they looked a bit tired.
Apart from breakfast (which I will come to shortly) we didn't eat at the hotel. We had a couple of drinks in the bar and the barman was really pleasant.
Breakfast was basic and self service. Would have prefered to have another option other than fried eggs, but apart from that the food was tasty enough.
The reason that we scored the sleep quality down was twofold. The light on the air conditioning unit flashed constantly and I felt like I was on an airport landing strip (although to be fair it didnt bother my husband at all). Secondly was were disturbed at intervals by guests coming down the corridor in early hours (assume they had been guests at the wedding that had been held there that night)
All in all a good hotel at a reasonable price. Glad it didnt take any notice of the very negative comments on this website

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

we went on a coach trip 53 of us for three nights, it was in the middle of no where on an industrial estate. Unless you could drive you are stuck nowhere to go for a walk. Bar was very expensive and had 5 tv 's on 24/7 or so it seemed. Staff all from abroad and seemed to be elsewhere when you wanted them.Room clean no view and as we spent most of our time there in was not good. Air con on and front door open till late so was too cold to sit in foyer to get away from tv.If you like Carvery/carvery/carvery then you ok ask for something different then your stuck and be prepared to wait and wait. So if you on buisness and only spending one night it adequate but longer run the other way.
Paula

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank paula117

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed here for 1 night, had a horribal drive to Norwich through all the heavy rain was releaved to arrive! Reserved parking for 'ladies' did make me laugh nice added touch.

The lady and gentleman at reception when I checked in were very friendly and helpful.

Room was big, tv a bit small but was only there to sleep, bed was huge! The shower was a little dated and was extremely hot and then cold again which wasnt nice.

Didnt have breakfast so cannot comment on food.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We booked our wedding reception here. Big mistake!
We firstly were not even greeted by the staff. One tray of drinks were handed out on arrival for my 66 guests. The tables were not set and no drinks on the tables as previously been arranged and paid for. We had a wedding breakfast buffet for 30 people instead of the 66, which again, we had already paid for. There were not enough plates or napkins for our guests and the plates provided were side plates. Certainly not suitable for our wedding meal. Our wedding cake still stood uncut in the function room at 1.30 the next morning after reminding the staff several times that it needed cutting. As did our expensive gifts and money, which we got told would be locked away until the next day.
We had been promised the honeymoon suite, only to be told on the day it had been given to somebody else. The list goes on.

Room Tip: Dont bother!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank suzanne t
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The Brook was clean, comfortable and welcoming. The staff were very pleasant and efficient and when I had a problem with my tv it was replaced with a smile within 10 minutes. The breakfast was hot and more than adequate and the waitress attentive. I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel after reading some of the recent reviews and would certainly stay here again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Elizabeth P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I have been staying at the Brook hotel for well over two years now on and off when in the area on business. Although in the past things have not been too good but it has sufficed my needs i.e. a good bed for the night when away from home with good food and comfort. More important value for money.

Also as I am a valued member card holder, which offers me a 5% discount on my accomadatation and food purchased in the hotel?

Well First things first no change from my last review in march in fact things have gone down hill Evan more to the point when I was checking out on Friday morning 13 th !! July I was commenting to the nice young lady who was on the desk my comments I was in not so many words told we do not need customers like you now as we are a more up market type of hotel well trust me on this comment I was shocked and was informed that she was one of the managers.
I explained when I have booked in the past it has always been a very competitive price this time however the price had been hiked up again from my last visit in march and no single occupancy rate the explanation was we have now undergone a total refurbishment.,
OK that’s OK but Refurbishment a lick of paint a dull drab brown colour and a new carpet at that sorry Brook hotel refurbishment is not just a lick of paint!!!!

Now I come to the further cut backs Breakfast was always a buffet style and very good value however this visit I was informed it was served only when it arrived I could not believe my eyes
A full cooked Breakfast consisted of
! Fried Egg Very nice, Half of a tomato, 6 button mushrooms,28 bakebeens a rash of bacon as that was all I was entitled to as I could only pick 5 items from the menu and all for a princely sum of £8.95 o sorry forgot the tea begrudged and the water bewitched.
On seeing the chef who I have come to know over the years he informed me cut backs cut backs.
So come on Brook hotel if you are going to up your prices in line with other hotels in the area you are going to have to up your game and match the quality and comfort of these hotels
As I comment to the manager in the past there restaurant on a morning busy as anything today 20 tables set out the car park half empty when normally you have to hunt round to find a place.
So management if this is not telling you something please note you will not have a hotel soon if you keep telling old regular customers that you are not wanted and you can not offer deals to those who have been loyal customers for years not just passing through one night stops.

Unfortunately for me you have now priced yourself out of my allowance for staying away so I will now have to find a new hotel.

You are trying to be something you are not this is not and never will be a five star hotel!!
Room Tip: Not the back of the hotel lots of road noise from the main road

Room Tip: Not the rooms at the back of the hotel rooms have a lot of road noise
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
I am sorry that you feel that £49 per room per night is not a competitive price! Our refurbishment is now complete and as you will see from our newly posted photographs on our website has been completed to a very high standard. Breakfast is served from the kitchen to ensure the freshest and hottest serving possible and we do not limit the amount of food per portion. I am sorry that you will no longer be staying with us.