“If this was an "Executive Room", I pity those in a standard or superior room !”

Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich
Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I only stayed here, rather than the excellent nearby Holiday Inn Express, because my wife was undergoing surgery at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital, less than 10 minutes away, and the policy of accepting pets. As it happened, I found friends who kept our dog overnight.

Firstly, the staff seemed friendly enough, the water was hot, the bed was comfortable and the bed linen good quality.

On entering the room, there was a slightly musty smell. The so-called refurbishment seemed to consist of fitting air-conditioning, decent bed linen and painting of the room. The bathroom was archaic. The bathroom light was a bare fluorescent tube above the mirror, the shower fitting was loose and very difficult to set so the spray was in the correct direction. The flooring material was stained and dirty in the corners and part of the air-conditioning ducting cover was misssing. The telephone socket was yellowed and there were a couple of rusty screws in the wall where a telephone was presumably fixed originally.

The bedroom furniture was early MFI and the curtain was not hooked up properly as the pulls for the curtain had become detatched. The carpet was frayed and coming away at the bathroom door, whilst the strip of carpet used as "skirting" round the room was coming away from the wall - and revealing black mould on the other side of the bathroom wall.

Worst of all, a 3ft x 3ft area of carpet on the floor was soaking wet, as if someone had either thrown a bucket of water over it - or there was a leaking pipe under the floor. I did not realise this at first as I had my shoes on. It was only after I had unpacked and undressed that I felt it and nearly slipped on the bathroom floor due to my feet being so wet. I left a bath towel over this area which absorbed a lot of the water - but the carpet was still wet in the morning.

I would have rejected this room if I had not been in a rush, after checking-in, to just get a shower and shave and get back to my wife's bed-side. By the time I got back, had a drink in the bar (no seats near the sports screen as the local Darby and Joan club seemed to be holding a dominos competition!), I was really too tired to try and move.

But ........ the bed was comfortable, I had a good night's sleep and it was cheap.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank John and Susan L

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We used this privately owned hotel (2 rooms, a twin and a double) for a quick overnight stay as we were going to a wedding the following day. We got there late after a long journey and the welcome we had was very pleasant. Everything was explained really well. Our rooms although standard were excellent and comfortable. Free unlimited wifi was a great bonus. Staff were friendly and helpful. Whilst this hotel is on the outskirts of the city and close to a main route the rooms were quiet. The rooms have aircon too. Breakfast was very good and restaurant had a relaxed atmosphere. Travel time into the city centre on a Sat morning was only 10 mins and very direct. The rooms were booked through a competitive booking site and were very good value. We would be very happy to stay at this hotel again and have no qualms in recommending it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Elizabeth P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you have made so many positive points relating to the staff and bedrooms. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

stayed for two nights buffet breakfast on one morning waiter service the next morning breakfast good had bar meal very good rooms were spacious and modern only one complaint had a few drinks in the bar the fridge with the soft drinks wasnt switched on bitter lemon was warm.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlie900

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed our rooms and breakfast during your stay with us. I apologise for the problem with the fridge in the bar during the evening this has now been rectified.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stay here last year as it was the best price hotel in the area, last year dispite being a little run down it was good value for money. This year the room was a little more expensive but included breakfast. However the place has been greatly improved, re decorated (bathrooms still original and a little run down). The place looks much freasher inside and out. Nice breakfast, we may try the value 2 for 1carvery this evening. The staff are very attentive and friendy staff. Great value for £108 for 2 people for 2 nights. Have to recommend this place. Ps. Our room had a modern flat screen tv and ac, free wifi

Room Tip: Chose a room on the ground floor as I think all these have been refurbished.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to be able to report that all our rooms have now been refurbished and are looking fresh. I am delighted that you feel that we offer value for money and that the staff are attentive and friendly. I will pass your comments onto the staff.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Booked as an overnight base to watch our son who was playing at the nearby football academy, we got there relatively late after a 5 1/2 hour trip. The receptionist was helpful and curteous. Room was lovely and spacious. The bathrooms have obviously not had the makeover that the rest of the hotel has had, and they looked a bit tired.
Apart from breakfast (which I will come to shortly) we didn't eat at the hotel. We had a couple of drinks in the bar and the barman was really pleasant.
Breakfast was basic and self service. Would have prefered to have another option other than fried eggs, but apart from that the food was tasty enough.
The reason that we scored the sleep quality down was twofold. The light on the air conditioning unit flashed constantly and I felt like I was on an airport landing strip (although to be fair it didnt bother my husband at all). Secondly was were disturbed at intervals by guests coming down the corridor in early hours (assume they had been guests at the wedding that had been held there that night)
All in all a good hotel at a reasonable price. Glad it didnt take any notice of the very negative comments on this website

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2012

we went on a coach trip 53 of us for three nights, it was in the middle of no where on an industrial estate. Unless you could drive you are stuck nowhere to go for a walk. Bar was very expensive and had 5 tv 's on 24/7 or so it seemed. Staff all from abroad and seemed to be elsewhere when you wanted them.Room clean no view and as we spent most of our time there in was not good. Air con on and front door open till late so was too cold to sit in foyer to get away from tv.If you like Carvery/carvery/carvery then you ok ask for something different then your stuck and be prepared to wait and wait. So if you on buisness and only spending one night it adequate but longer run the other way.
Paula

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank paula117
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed here for 1 night, had a horribal drive to Norwich through all the heavy rain was releaved to arrive! Reserved parking for 'ladies' did make me laugh nice added touch.

The lady and gentleman at reception when I checked in were very friendly and helpful.

Room was big, tv a bit small but was only there to sleep, bed was huge! The shower was a little dated and was extremely hot and then cold again which wasnt nice.

Didnt have breakfast so cannot comment on food.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business