“Best Western - Worst Western”

Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in November as part of a coach party. My room was large, clean and well equipped. The room looked out on to a garden area with a small fountain which was lovely. That is where the positives end and the negatives begin! The dining experience was disorganised at best and chaotic at worst. The meals were buffet style with only one member of staff in attendance (sometimes there was no-one there) so food was not replenished quickly enough so it was hit or miss what food you got. One couple on my coach did not get any as all the food had run out when they got to the buffet! The bar did not have any daught beer (only lager) because one had "run out "and the other was a "bad keg". We were promised that the situation would be resolved by the next night but surprise, surprise it was not. Overall this Hotel was badly let down by the Bar/ Restaurant Manager whose obviously needs retraining in management skills.

Room Tip: Room 123 had a lovely outlook.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lesley933

Reviewed 15 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here at the beginning of November for the main purpose of attending a fair at the Norfolk showground. The location was good, being just a short drive from the venue. I had read the varied reviews of the hotel but as we have stayed at several Best Westerns in the past, some in the U.K. and many in the U.S. we decided to give it a try. We were allocated room 224 and immediately noticed some problems - draughty windows, paint peeling off the walls, mouldy mastic around the bath, greenfly coming from goodness knows where and a general lack of cleanliness in the room. In fact it looked as though it hadn't been hoovered thoroughly for a while. The main reason for asking to move rooms was that it was so cold and I didn't think I would be able to sleep. An electric heater had been placed in the room suggesting that the previous occupants had the same problem. So we were 'upgraded' to room 218 along the corridor. The upgrade simply meant 2 extra cushions on the bed, slightly better decor and newer curtains and headboard but it still looked as if it hadn't been hoovered that recently and the windows were even worse as one of them had a missing handle and it didn't close properly. In effect it was draughtier than the room we had just left. Feeling a little jaded by the experience we decided not to move again and to use the wall heater to warm the room. In contrast the public areas are fairly well presented and some effort has been made to update them. It looks like the Best Western has been clever in this respect as the rooms do not match the bright reception area and corridors. On the plus side breakfast is good value if booked in advance through reception and the food was of a reasonable standard, although staff are not very attentive in the dining room. We booked this hotel because of the proximity to the showground and the fact that the Premier Inn we had stayed at previously was fully booked. We probably wouldn't choose to stay here again. It needs updating and problems need to be sorted out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Itchyfeet021065
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed one night late October. I arrived quite late and left early so didnt use the restaurant so sorry I cant comment on that. The Hotel itself and my room were very nice, clean and welcoming. Not much to add except I booked via an external internet site and got the room at £65 which was within my budget and cheaper than may lower standard hotels in the area

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed at this Hotel again this time for a celebration of a Civil Partnership. What a brill place to stay. great attention & good food, have stayed here everytime we come to Norwich we will always stay here no other place like it

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I visited the hotel for business purposes, this is a mixed review as there are some good & some bad points:-
Lets start with the good..
I was given a warm welcome & was quickly allocated my good
The staff were friendly but not "in your face"
The food in the bar was pretty good
Comfortable bed
Not so good
Breakfast - table not set up properly has to ask for milk for my coffee, no glasses out for fruit juice. Dreaded buffet for the hot part - baked beans which looked like they had been there for a while - tell tale crust! Fried eggs hard as nails - to be fair these were replaced.
Room - I had a room up from standard, the bathroom was dated and in need of a good clean - there was mould round the shower part (which I easily removed with a tissue).
The Bad
Advertised on the website as having a residents gym - I asked where it was and was told it was closed indefinitely. The solution was to pay £5 to use a gym in the area! It should have been free at worst. The website & the likes of booking & late rooms need updating without delay. This is misleading & the gym was one of the main drivers for me booking the hotel.
To sum up - good staff but improvements needed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SimonJKent
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My new partner and I used the Hotel as I have before for various celebrations this time it was for our Civil Partnership reception. Like the previous reviewer we had various problems with sound equipment and Jo Little the singer and comedienne and her wanting a room to change into. All taken care of by Dawn (What a treasure) I have dealt with her at the hotel before, she was so helpful, taking all the pressure from me by sorting things out, Elizabeth did all the negotiations and gave such good, helpful advise we were so happy with her help.
The staff were absolutely fantastic nothing too much trouble.
That room we had after the celebration was really something, as the previous reviewer said, bigger than our bungalow, all our guests wanted to see..
We both agreed, it was the best day of our lives.
A big THANK YOU BROOK HOTEL you made it truly special