“**MIXED REVIEW ON THIS HOTEL**”

Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich
Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Nice reception area and friendly helpful staff.

One word for the food * awful *. Stayed for two nights and had a three course meal on the first night which was included in our package deal.

Husband ordered a pork dish which was burnt on one side, Portions small and bland I recommend you do not eat here.

Breakfast served from 7am until 9.30am. Family came down at 9.10am with very little food left. When we asked if we could have fresh the staff were very reluctant and unhelpful.

Room was spacious , basic and clean and we had a good nights sleep on both nights.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MAXINE B

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We have just had a fantastic stay at the hotel with excellent value for money and outstanding service especially Summer on the reception desk and Alistair in the restaurant. Both staff consistently went out of their way to ensure we had everything we could possibly need. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cath24gow
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Just returned from a Livingsocial deal for an overnight stay for 2 with three course meal and breakfast and I am impressed. The room (a standard double) was fairly basic, but clean and fresh, although the bed was very hard which is the only negative point I can make about our stay.

The evening meal was far better than I had expected for the price we paid, and was much nicer presented than the usual pub fare type meal available. My peri-peri chicken was moist and flavoursome, the mackerel starter incredibly tasty and the fruits of the forest cheesecake came served with a drizzle of papaya coulis. My husband's meal was equally good and his rib-eye steak was cooked to perfection, tender and juicy. He cleared his plate completely!

The staff were very attentive and polite, they couldn't do enough for us, at both dinner and breakfast. Overall this trip cost us £69... the meal alone was worth that. I would certainly eat and stay here again for that bargain price!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed in Room 201 overnight in early January 2014. The bathroom was basically disgusting, with mould clearly visible around the mirror, the bathroom bin was broken, and the side of the bath fell off on my bare foot. There was more corrosion around the bath taps and bath waste than I've seen in any hotel I've ever stayed in. The bathroom looked as if it had not been updated in years. In addition, every draw in the bedroom was broken or missing (very strange ?) and throughout the night until 6am, I was constantly woken by the pipework through the wall next door which I believe was coming from the bathrooms on the first floor being fed through the walls behind my bed. The early morning alarm call booked for 7am never arrived and room service delivered breakfast with coffee that was stone cold. I've lodged a complaint and am waiting to receive a reply from Great Western but for £65-00 without breakfast you at least expect a clean room. On arrival, the staff gave me a warm welcome at Reception but the room standard badly let this hotel down. Very disappointed. I was expecting much better standards. If Travelodge can get the basics right, why can't Great Western ? Sorry but would not recommend this hotel based on my stay.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, DON'T accept Room 201 !!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank UkTravelbug011
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The room was drafty due to a window that could not close properly , this also meant the sound of the main road could be heard more noticeably. The headboard was shabby and the room smelt strongly of cigarettes in one corner. The room and bathroom required TLC / updating - I was not comfortable here. The bar and restaurant did not look appealing to eat in so I went into town. At breakfast i felt it was dark and like a nursing home in the restaurant - breakfast was fine. Service was good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Stephanie D
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I was a bit apprehensive after reading mixed reviews, but we found the Brook to be a smashing little hotel for a very reasonable price.

We were there with a party for the Thursford Spectacular, on dinner, B&B. The rooms were quite small, but nicely decorated and very clean. The beds were super comfortable. The heating in done rooms was by separate converter heater: very efficient! We didn't turn it down enough on the first night and boiled.

The have good system for dinner, with menus on each table. You tick your starter and dessert choices, as they are served to you. The main course is served car very style, consisting if one vegetarian dish and a choice of meats, with lots of vegetables to be added. The roast potatoes were delicious, as was the turkey according to my husband. Breakfast was great, too.

All staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the lovely lad on the bar!

Room Tip: There is no lift, so if you have difficulty walking ask for a downstairs room or one just up stairs...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Best Western Hotels are expected to be good but this must be one of the best. Good location and all is very good with the hotel, once one comes to terms with the long corridors. The food, however is superb and one has to bear in mind that we were there with a coach party, which normally puts a constraint on the food selection. It really was superb!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends