“Really nice but needs more staff!”

Best Western Brook Hotel Norwich
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I really liked this hotel, the room was clean, quite large and looked as if it ad been recently refurbished. It had a very clean, fresh smell and feel
The hotel was also ideally placed on a main road in touch with many different places.
In the restaurant the food was fine and the surroundings were good, with wide screens on all walls (ideal for watching the Commonwealth Games)
I do however have 3 gripes-

1) It is advertised as having a gym but when I asked I was told there wasn't one but with no explanation or apology
2) The quality of Wifi (albeit free) was very poor with long periods where it was not available (server not responding)
3) Finally and probably most importantly I am going to score the service at this hotel as poor but I need to explain why.
It was not down to the staff as all of the people I encountered on reception or at the bar were absolutely first class, they were extremely pleasant and could not have been more polite or done more for me. The issue is that there simply was not enough of them, every night I had to ask someone at reception or in the restaurant to serve at the bar as I had stood waiting for minutes or one night I had to wait at reception because the lady was looking after someone in the restaurant.
The staff are very good, you just need ore of them if you want people to come back

Room Tip: 222 was good because it was as good as new after a recent refurbishment
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 August 2014

all staff very helpful and friendly they make you feel like you matter.hotel itself lovely surroundings clean comfortable rooms.breakfast very good and choice is good.we will be back for a 3rd stay no doubt .

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed in this hotel 6 times now, as I find it very convenient for my trips to Norwich and Norfolk. This time I found the staff extremely friendly and helpful, the service could not be faulted. Granted it is not in the centre of Norwich but there is a good bus service into the city from across the road. There is a large carpark, which I find useful, as I usually rent a car to visit various parts of Norfolk, and one would not want to try and drive in the city or park a car there! The rooms are getting a bit tired but are a good size, unlike some hotel rooms where if you are one person there is hardly room to "swing a cat". Will be happy to stay there again next time I visit Norwich. One down side is that the hotel does not have a lift so if you don't like stairs, ask for a ground floor room.

Room Tip: No lift, so if you don't like stairs, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Arrived at 4 is met by bubbly reception staff fantastic attitude of all staff great room clean tidy and comfy no noise from a wedding that was on great brekers sets you up for the day back to Norwich next year guess where we will be staying again.5 stars for service and friendly staff pat on the back for all.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

First review for me on tripadviser and I was compelled to write due to the fantastic customer service provided by the staff.

Having unpacked and started to change clothes for a wedding I realised that I had forgotten my cufflinks. I had 45 minutes before we were due to leave for the wedding. I asked at reception to see if any were in lost property but sadly there were none. The hotel manager (?) very kindly offered to drive to town and buy me some which I gratefully accepted. I was gobsmacked by the service - so impressed!!

I was able to continue getting ready and as my taxi arrived, the cufflinks turned up.

The customer service was way above expected levels and I can't praise the employees highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rob P
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Best Western Brook Norwich on the 23rd & 24Th July 2014 for our friends wedding, our room was book as part of the wedding guest package and was told our room would be £60 a night for bed & breakfast, they was going to charge us £95 a night if my husband hadn’t spotted it and reading trip adviser we notice they over charge people on a regular basis, we was in a twin room no: 224 when we open the door there was a unbelievable strong smell of mould the windows were already open, my husband went to see if we could be moved as I couldn’t stand it, we was told there was none available but would send someone to see us, but No one came the whole time we was there, the windows where dirty and the latch on one window was broken the air-condition had duck tape on it to hold the side together and the switch was broken, there where cobwebs round the top of the window, the nets were dirty and the hotel was on a very noisy round about, the units in the bedroom had 2 draws missing the tea spoons for making you own drinks had not been wash since the last people use it as it still had coffee on them and there was only 3 small milks, so for 2 people hot drinks were limited, breakfast was the only thing I could say was nice, but we had to find our own place to sit as no one showed us to a table. After breakfast on our last morning we returned to our room to pack last minute things this was 9.30am and you can check out up to 11am they was already trying to get in our room to clean it for the next person.
We will not be recommending this hotel to anyone and if it hadn’t been for the wedding we wouldn’t have stayed and will never return.

Room Tip: very noisy round about outside as the hotel on it.
1  Thank ifounts
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel was booked as part of a sight-seeing trip around Norfolk and we stayed 2 nights.
First impressions were not good - on a ring road and looking a bit tired.
The bedrooms also were a bit sabby with bathrooms well past their refurbishment date.
On the up side: the staff were very pleasant; the rooms were clean: the food was good and a noisy wedding could not be heard from the bedrooms.
Sadly we were in Norwich but never saw the city. A hotel courtesy bus was not available when we were there and a taxi ride was very expensive. Shame really.

Room Tip: No lift to first floor rooms.
1  Thank Brian C