“Asked to leave because I had cancer”
Review of Brick Kilns

Brick Kilns
Ranked #158 of 876 Restaurants in Norwich
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I took my partner to this particular restaurant after being told how fantastic it was. We were directed to our table upon arrival as we had prebooked. The first waitress took our order. Having read the menu, I ordered a fillet steak with JUST chips and peas. The reason for this is because I have suffered from CANCER and the medical intervention which keeps me alive is compromised by the presence of mushrooms. To be specific, I would literally die within an hour of consuming the slightest crumb of a mushroom or even water escaping a mushroom.

Our order was then brought over to our table by ANOTHER waitress, and to my dismay, my plate contained mushrooms - lethal to me. We questioned this as we had specifically said JUST chips and peas to avoid the inevitably awkward situation which arises from sending food back in a restaurant. To show that I understood how this sometimes happens, as it was obviously a very popular culinary experience and were undoubtedly busy, I explained the intricate details of how sensitive my body is to mushrooms. She then shocked me with the response of "well, you should have told us when you ordered". Bearing in mind, I had specifically ordered the steak with JUST chips and peas, I wasn't sure what more I could have done in this situation. I generally don't feel the need to explain my medical history, nor do I choose to, which is why I'm specific about my order. My plate was whisked away to a disgruntled "we'll sort it" and my plate was shortly returned to me by a THIRD waitress, minus the mushrooms. This waitress was unaware if this was a fresh plate of food or whether the mushrooms had just been removed from the plate, to which I decided I would not risk death and would leave the food.

A FOURTH waitress then came to collect the plates who exclaimed "but you haven't eaten any". At this point we explained the long story, in a more condensed, shortened version. To be polite so she didn't think I didn't like the food, I explained that I just didn't feel comfortable risking my life. Whilst explaining this to this waitress, we were joined by a FIFTH waitress with the FORTH waitress exclaiming "you can deal with this" and then leaving without the plates, which was a little perplexing.

The FIFTH waitress asked what the problem was. We had explained our visit so far to which she then explained I WOULD have been given a totally new plate of food. I explained that at the time, no one was able to tell me this for certain and I didn't want to take the risk. This waitress then went to check in the kitchen, which was a nice gesture but was a little bit late at this point. The waitress returned to the table to explain the landlady was cooking in the kitchen on that night and passed on the message from her that "because you made the waitress cry (I assume the FOURTH waitress??) - she would like you to settle the bill and leave"

To say I was shocked is an understatement. I was very frustrated that I was being asked to leave because of the error that was made by them. Going as far as explaining about my medical history was totally unnecessary and yet I did this because I wanted to avoid any further confusion and give them the opportunity to show a little empathy and understanding. Instead, I was asked to leave and I am still unsure exactly how I could have done anything differently.

My relaxing weekend away with my partner was just about ruined by one meal in this restaurant. Having read a few reviews, a lot appears to be put down to the accommodation and surrounding areas which must be fantastic to counteract the worst experience I have ever had in my life in a restaurant. Avoid this place if you suffer or have ever suffered from cancer or any other medical issue which has left you needing to avoid any kind of food. Or, alternaively, take your GP to make them aware of your medical history before your visit.

4  Thank mws32

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We have stayed at the Brick Kilns twice previously and was not disappointed with any of our stays. The rooms are furnished to a high standard and remain so after much use. The staff are welcoming and friendly.breakfast is certainly a FULL English for those who can really eat and is cooked fresh with a choice of eggs.
We ate our evening meals in the pub each night for a 3 night stay and chose different selections from the extensive menu. We were not disappointed with any of our meals at all and the service we received was excellent.

1  Thank poochiegirl_56
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Lovely feel to the place. Very welcoming with a good ambiance. We ate in the conservatory which could be a little cold in jan, but this was more than cosy. Log burner plus heating kept the chill at bay. A nice choice on the menu for all with a very good beer or two to wash it all down with. Will be booking again when in the area.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Brick Kilns is about 15 minutes drive east of Norwich city centre. It's an unassuming place - on a rural crossroads like countless other country pubs (albeit painted bright pink).

The ambience is alright, feeling more like a large suburban pub than a cosy country inn, with an open dining room and large conservatory. The real ale and beer selection is good, with a couple of hand pubs supplying a range of Adnams brews.

The food is the Brick Kilns strong point. There's a large menu of comfort pub food, with a sizeable selection of fresh seafood from Lowest. The big surprise, and the big draw for some of the clientele, is the commendable page and a half of veggie and vegan dishes. One of the landlords is vegetarian, and having run the place for many years, she has developed a fantastic range of meat free pub meals.

Service is old fashioned and not so attentive (fine for a pub) but the meals are generously proportioned and ideal for a family get together. Importantly, and unlike so many pubs, vegetarian and vegan guests won't be obliged to pick from a selection of one token dish. We ate a Cheese and Broccoli Flan - which was deep and filled with large heads of broccoli. The Spicy Vegetable Crumble was more spicy vegetables than crumble, but it was fresh, full of flavour and ideal for a cold winter's day.

Not a gourmet destination, but a great family owned pub for diners who don't want to condemn their vegetarian friends and family to the same old goats cheese tart or mushroom risotto.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Went here on the basis of 1- Great TA reviews and 2 - veggie friendly food. The first I don't get at all from my experience and the second was downright poor. It's a nice enough pub, 3 humdrum Adams ales greet you in a cozy enough atmosphere. You're the told your table number, in a style that echoes UK hospitality c.1976. Then you have a menu choice that's impressively huge, perhaps too huge for credibility. Even on top of that there is a specials board, no one points it out to you but it's pretty big, and not one veggie main course special. The food , on the veggie items we had at least were hideous. I see most of the positive reviews are on the non veggie items, maybe that's the ficus here but don't shout (as they do ) that you are a great veggie/vegan place to eat. Every dish had issues, was priced well on the high side and cooked with the care and presentation skills of a failed McDonald's cook. The pic of my Gratin,a case in point, it looked like something the cat gives you on a bad night after eating off raw kippers. Raise the issue? No, there was no check back what so ever, even though staff passed the table countless times. Once, eventually someone graced their presence to clear our plates she asked us "how we're your meals" my wife got in first and said "they weren't great" to which the response was...? NOTHING! She just smiled and went, Muppets!. Earlier we highlighted the stale rolls that came with our soup, so the response from another server was to prod the roll with her fingers! We are so disappointed with this place, fair enough meat eaters are happy here, and being fairly busy there has to be something right here. But we experienced miserably low standards and if here to eat veggie food AVOID!

1  Thank theposh