“Not quite 5 star”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Visited Baan Phraya on Saturday night and it was only half full. Nice decor and we found the waterfall amusing but can understand why some would find it annoying.
Had the mixed starters to begin with and then ordered various meat and prawn dishes with rice for the main. Service was very good and attentive Nice touch was the Thai dance. Very good bottle of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. However, I would only give the food a four star rating as we have eaten in many Thai restaurants and in Thailand itself but felt the food was a bit lacking in depth and complexity of flavour but it was fresh and tasty. The hot desserts were good.

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you for visiting Baan Phraya and taking the time to post a review.

I'm pleased you enjoyed our restaurant, the wine, the Thai dance and appreciated the excellent service our staff provide.

The waterfall is an excellent, traditional Thai feature and is very popular with the regular customers. Many first time visitors have their photograph taken in front of it as it was handmade to our specification in Thailand.

As you mention, our food is always fresh, hence we can cook meals to customer specifications on the night. We have top class, experienced Thai chefs so our food is always authentic, particularly as we use tradiitional and authentic Thai ingredients.

We hope to see you again soon at Baan Phraya.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Celebrating Mid-Autumn festival with my parents; Enjoyed the atmoaphere and hospitality.

Bann Hara never let me down; would recomend to ALL; any occasion; pop over and you'll have jolly great experience.

Special Thai Dance on the house.

David, the owner came over and greated us treated us. Many Thanks Mr.Romantic.

D.Chan on (19/09/2013)

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you very much for your review and it was a pleasure to meet both yourself and your wonderful parents all the way from Hong Kong.

There was a tremendous atmosphere at Baan Phraya last night - the 2 large groups certainly helped this, along with the other customers who were also having a great time.

Our Thai dancing is becoming renowned and when we have a busy restaurant the girls love to perform. It was Mo dancing last night - she's studying at UEA and has only just joined us but she's settled in really quickly and is really popular with our customers.

I'm so pleased that you all enjoyed yourselves. I wish your parents a safe trip back to Hong Kong and wish you all the best in your studies. We look forward to seeing you and your UEA colleagues at Baan Phraya again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I use to head to the shop they had at lunchtimes when I was in Norwich, but found that it had had moved and become a restaurant, only a short distance (opp Pizza Hut), but upstairs above the Spa and boy was I glad I made the effort. I decided to have the set lunchtime menu, which included a glass of wine. The food was absolutely delicious, being vegetarian they adapted the dish I wanted to meet my requirements. Starter of corncakes with sweet chilli dip so well presented and tasted as good as it looked. The main dish again tasted wonderful and included rice (you choose) was filling too, then I decided to have all three courses and a fantastic banana in coconut batter covered in honey, with ice cream and cream arrived (bliss). Can't recommend this place enough and my compliments to the chef was delivered via the wonderful hostess.

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review Baan Phraya.

Our lunch time specials are proving popular and I'm really pleased you enjoyed it. Our Thai chefs are excellent as you point out and because we cook everything fresh on the day so we can immediately adapt dishes to customer specification, simply by speaking to the waiting staff.

Thank you for complimenting the chef via the waitress - they always enjoy deserved praise and no doubt that wonderful Thai smile was spread around the kitchen when they were told.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We enjoyed a great meal at this restaurant this weekend. Although the restaurant was very quite, the surroundings were superb. We went for a set meal for 2 and we had a fantastic feast of traditional Thai food. Will definitely come again.

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Many thanks for your kind review and I'm pleased you enjoyed your evening.

It's nice to know you appreciated our decor - everything was shipped in from Thailand, which is why it has a truly authentic Thai atmosphere. Our top-class chefs from Thailand ensure the overall Thai authenticity spreads throughout the whole restaurant.

Our set meals do prove very popular and as you say, they really are a feast.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Baan Phraya.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

On a recent trip to Norwich myself and my partner decided to try a bite to eat here. After climbing the stairs we were welcomed by our wonderful hostess who showed us to our table. We looked at the menu and were surprised by the choice and the meal deals.

Crispy cups for a starter and also the spring roll. Both were excellent.
Calamari stir fry with jasmine rice and prawn Thai green curry with jasmine rice for our mains.

Really good food and a very fast service.

It has to be the best Thai food I have ever tasted and when I next go to Norwich I will defiantly be visiting again.

The Climb is worth it!

We very much appreciate you taking the time to review Baan Phraya.

You had a varied choice of dishes and I'm pleased you enjoyed the food. It's also gratifying to know that our staff took good care of you and that the service was speedy. The Thai staff take great pride in their work and always aim to please.

It's really good to read you feel our food is the best Thai food you've tasted. That's precisely what we strive for and we hope to see you again when you next visit Norwich.