The Beeches Hotel
US$92
  • Pool
US$150
  • Pool
Dunston Hall(Stoke Holy Cross)
US$137
Orbitz.com
US$88
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 July 2013

It was clean enough, and the bathroom facility was pretty decent but the room as well as the service was pretty bad. The man in the reception/office seemed distant and uncaring, and when we told him we did not know our room number he denied it; telling us it was on the sheet until we showed him the email printed off. He did apologise however, and other staff were friendly and helpful enough. The combination code-manner of entering your room worked well, good for security, but the hotel itself was very humid including our room; which without air conditioning despite the website mentioning it had it (unless it was broken in the hallway itself) was very humid and we had to borrow a fan from some friends to keep us cool.

The room itself was not bad other than the heat. We had a fridge, a microwave, a kettle, complimentary tea, a television and a decently comfortable bed and sofa. The room was quite clean but there were cracks and dirt on part of the walls. Fortunately, the hotel is in a good location: next to the Plantation Gardens, a very beautiful garden and it is very close to the centre of the city. However, we were not pleased with a poster that covered the fire extinguisher sign and that the management does not seem to take health and safety that seriously.

Overall, this is probably one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. The manager seems uncaring, and despite the friendlier staff and okay room it wasn't great, especially with the blaring summer heat and lack of air conditioning. If you want a cheap hotel for the night and are not looking for much, this hotel would suit you; otherwise, as others have said, pay the extra money for a better hotel.

Room Tip: If it is summer ask for a room with a window - Seriously.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Booked the Lodge Hotel for some workmen. Was booked for 6 nights. Was not aware of the non redunable cancellation policy!!!.

When lads arrived early hours of morning could not get into one of the rooms but the one they could was totally disgusting. Sheets were stained floor was filthy, room had not been cleaned, phoned office and a guy came out to show other rooms. These were equally dirty and men said under no circumstances could they stay, they would rathwr sleep in van.

I emailed office with complaint and phoned. Spoke to a man who said rooms were non refundable. I said rooms were too disgusting to sleep in and therefore a refund should be made to which he just replied rooms non refundable. I told him men had taken photos to show how bad rooms were and that I would be contacting Watchdog as even if they have this policy if rooms are that bad they should refund some if not all money. He again replied rooms non refundable. Its a con, they take your money using this policy knowing rooms are disgusting and not having to refund.

Well I will be contacting Watchdog and trading standards as this is not acceptable.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sara A
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Do not stay here!! Do not stay at any MJB property. There is good chance that you will be ripped off. We were charged even though there was no room available and we did not stay there. The place was a tip - absolutely disgusting. No organisation and appalling service. The 'manager' insisted to booking.com that rooms were available and he keeps your money. It's that easy to run a scam!! DO NOT be taken in by reviews saying that any of these properties are even remotely ok!! This is a doss house - I suppose that you do (or in this case DON'T) get what you pay for. Pay the extra money and go somewhere without the infestations. Don't say that you haven't been warned!

Room Tip: Do not stay in MJB Properties - if you do you will regret it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank mark K
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

I desperately needed a hotel near to the city centre of Norwich at late notice, this was the only Hotel available so had no choice! Easy to park and good location but that's as good as it gets! Had trouble getting into the hotel with the key code provided! After waiting outside on the phone, I finally got given one that worked but wasn't impressed with the customer service, not even an apology! The room was disgusting, hairs everywhere, not vacuumed properly, smelt foisty! Ensuite facilities were mouldy and toilet was dirty! Looking at previous reviews now I only have myself to blame, but I just went for the cheap option at last minute, but at least I slept ok!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank 381Tom_J
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Me and some friends booked a room here (room 20) very last minute - literally a few days before as we needed somewhere to stay in Norwich. Cannot complain about the price, cost us £17.50 each and that is one of the best prices we could find. However, our booking being hasty, we neglected to read any reviews until after we had already booked and were left terrified by what we had in store for us. I am pleased to say that it was NOT as bad as hundreds of other reviews on here report - perhaps it is room specific, though. Our room was located right near the entrance of the building - not ideal as we experienced a great deal of noise from others staying there - but all in all it was not too bad. A spacious room with comfy beds (and yes - the bedding was clean), a sofa, table and a sort-of kitchen area (featuring a moudly patch of floor in the corner). Cleanliness was generally fine - the walls were a little dirty - but nowhere near as bad as what we were expecting. My main issue with this place is the bathroom facilities - or LACK OF - there is ONE communal bathroom to be shared by several rooms - admittedly I didn't realise that a lot of rooms here are ensuite, but even so. The bathroom consists of ONE toilet and ONE shower next to each other with a couple of sinks at the other side of the room. I did not risk using the shower, and the toilet was not clean, although someone had half-heartedly thrown some toilet cleaner into it. I found the experience very strange - the fact that it is not staffed opens up numerous problems and I definitely would not stay more than one night. Another strange thing was the windows - whitewashed and screen-like, we could not close the top one, which, obviously, left a large ventilation gap - very strange. All in all it seems we were lucky with the room we got and we left considerably less traumatised than we had anticipated being.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends