“Awful experience!!”

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
“Awful experience!!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The accomodation was cheap so I wasn't expecting the Ritz but this was more a squat! The room had stains and mould on the walls and the windows were covered up so we had no daylight. There was one toilet for 18 rooms to share!! On the night we stayed there, a drunken guest passed out in the toilet with the door locked leaving us with no basic facilities at all. Disgusting place! Do not go!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Anonchar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Tain, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Wrong codes for entry to building and room. Room stank and as windows are nailed shut there was no hope of any ventilation. Thin mattress and pillows. Stains on carpets. Overall condition was horrible. Could not stand the thought of staying, so left and found a good room at near by Best Western. We probably not get a refund of £109 we paid for two nights. I have traveled for years and never had such an awful experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lesliepontious

Travellers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Palma de Mallorca
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The MJB group owns several similar properties in this area of Norwich and the Bristol is one of them.
My daughter and I arrived to find an older and un-staffed house with unkempt garden, debris-strewn pathways and windows with the glass painted white. Access to the main door and the room was by keypad, but their booking system had failed to email us the codes. A phone call got us the codes and inside we found a twin room with a rickety double bed and a single. The sheets on both were dirty. We called again and a maintenance man came and replaced them. Then we discovered that the toilet took over half an hour to refill. So we found the “office” nearby and spoke to the owner by telephone. No upgrade or refund possible. Two other groups were in the same office at that time making similar complaints.
So we left, even though I had paid for two nights in advance.
Beware!

Room Tip: Don´t even think about booking
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan412
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Had the unfortunate pleasure of staying here, first impressions all the windows painted out (throughout the building) so rooms were dark and lacked the pleasant days light. The external resembled something of a half way house the room was full of furniture it was a struggle to get around the double and single bed (in 1 room) I had a downstairs room number 24 I believe as the converted house was so old (no insulation) I could hear everything going on above me (not pleasant) I was promptly surprised although stifling heat the windows would no open (my sense kind of kicked in ) thinking what if there's a fire etc, the carpet was absolutely filthy décor was ok but bland in all not a pleasant stay.

Good Points, (its quite obvious all the expense has been spared) but cheap rooms, very close to city centre ok for a one night stay (but no longer) please don't expect because you wont get. its not good for families but for an individual wanting a cheap deal then I guess at a push this will do

Room Tip: Cheap but not cheerful an OK if you get stuck
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times in the past but not in the last 3 years or so. Booked it for a weekend to catch up with friends in Norwich (we used to live there). When my wife lived and worked in Norwich, her employer used to put their overseas visitors in there. It was a very nice place to stay. Now it is not, i'm kicking myself for not checking before booking. From what i can make out the current owners have taken a perfectly good hotel and ruined it beyond all recognition. There are zero staff, the grounds are no longer cared for, rooms do not feel clean, there are no curtains the windows have paper stuck to the inside of them, it was summer but felt like the heating was still on, i wouldn't let a dog sleep on the mattress and the sheets were cheap thin and sweaty. There was a bed side table in the room but was useless as it listed at an angle, my mobile phone slid straight off it!! I was that displeased with the place i tried to find another room at another hotel at 11pm on a friday night. Eventually i found somewhere else the next morning and forfitted the second nights cost. When leaving there was someone servicing rooms and asked if we were leaving. We told him we were leaving early and he seemed pleased as he said he didn't know if he had enough clean sheets for that day!!
The only thing this place now has going for it is the central location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RCG41
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The hotels from this group have whitewashed windows, no staff, key code entry and in this particular case bad damp and noisy plumbing.

I stayed here a few years ago prior to MJB group taking over - it's a shame they've ruined it.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sean-Plato-McGondola
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Please, I advise you not to stay at this hotel. It is absolutely appalling. The customer service is not so great and they are very rude. As one says you get exactly what you pay for. However in this case. I don't even think that phrase will suffice. The rooms are terrible. The windows do not open as they say for health and safety reasons. However, that is the worst thing I have ever heard. The rooms were smelly and damp and with no air to breathe I actually passed out. I am genuinely going to report this hotel to have it checked out. But in my opinion I think it should be closed down. They say they cleaned the rooms however the towels were dirty, floors were dirty, beds were also dirty and not to mention the dampness in the rooms.

Concluding my review. Don't stay at MJB Hotels, stay well away. If you book a night there. I will assure you. You will never return again.

• Stayed July 2013