“What an awful place and staff!”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Booked this hotel not only was it like staying in a third world prison but when i got locked out my room as they had given me the wrong code i called them and had a very rude arrogant guy telling me it was all my fault and they were going to take £120 out my account for compensation. i am currently trying to block the transaction with my bank and block all further transactions. im horrified this has happened and the company are just bothered about taking more money! Please i advise anyone who is booking a hotel not to touch this one. its mouldy dirty, mushrooms growing through the carpets and they charge you the earth for the pleasure and keep on taking!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank tiktok1

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My boyfriend and I had an impromptu night out in Norwich where we decided to book accommodation on the day. As it was so last minute we couldn't get a travel in etc and so made this choice based on convenience and the fact that we just needed something simple. We booked through bookings.com and the reservation never went through which ended up with re-booking as the staff were unable to honour the same rate. The lady that we dealt with was clearly under a lot of pressure judging by the phone calls she was taking whilst we were stood there. Unfortunately this lead to a very unpleasant manner from her which was unprofessional to say the least! The room was basic, not very clean and it did us for the night but I would never go back, neither would I pay the rack rate of £80 per night. The room was very small and noises could be heard from everywhere. As I said, it ticked the boxes for what we needed for the evening but without a doubt- you'd have to pay me to go back there. It wouldn't have been so bad if we had actually been welcomed by professional, polite and happy staff. That it was I am normally used to and take it as a given.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary E
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I have just returned from Norwich and had the dubious pleasure of staying at The Beeches Hotel. I cannot complain too harshly about this accommodation. I am doing this here because the 'rules' of this business are that complaints must be made on arrival but many of ours were not found immediately we arrived.

Initially we had trouble accessing the room because although we had a room code we were not told that this room was at the back of he building and accessible with its own door rather than the main door of the building. Another very accommodating guest explained this to us and showed us to our room.

My daughter and I were allocated room number 7 which is 'twin room with en suite facilities'. This actually comprised a shower and the wash basin in the bedroom and the lavatory was in room off the bedroom. The bedroom/bathroom was painted half white - the sleeping end - with all windows painted over.The bathroom end of the room was painted black including the ceiling and with a black floor. No natural light was able to enter the room. Black shaded up-lighters completed the gloomy effect in the bedroom which smelled very musty and was rather dirty. I found this rather odd but as it was for just one night felt we would manage. In addition, there was nowhere to hang our clothes and insufficient drawer, cupboard space even though we were only staying one night so had few belongings with us.

The duvet covers on the beds were clean but I don't believe, because of the smell, that the duvet themselves were (discovered later). One of the single beds shifted whenever anyone sat or lay on it (discovered later). There were no headboards (realised later) and the beds were butted up against a radiator. There was no bathroom mat for use with the shower (discovered later) so we had to use one of the towels all of which were small, very worn and one even had a hole in it (discovered later). The only very small mirror on the wall was so high (discovered later) that I could only just see the top of my head and I am of average height.

The toilet room was painted black, including the ceiling, walls, windows and doors which, together with the cobwebs (discovered later), made it resemble a very unpleasant cave. The bedroom/bathroom arrangement gave no privacy to individual guests sharing a room. But before we could complain we were confronted by another resident in the room which was large, hairy and had 8 legs. I am arachnophobic and was very distressed and afraid. We subsequently found numerous cobwebs in the black areas of the room and in the toilet. My daughter evicted the unwanted guest and removed the cobwebs (using another of the pitifully small towels. I was so un-nerved by this experience that I could not sleep and did contemplate spending the night in my car although the noise from guests in one of the other establishments owned by the company put me off that course of action.

How I wish I had complained when I first arrived. I am unsure of the legality of saying complaints will only be dealt with if made on arrival I will check this out because it seems to me that this room was not fit for purpose and therefore might come under Trading Standards or Environmental Health regulations. I will be pursuing this matter with these authorities.

This was a very unpleasant and upsetting experience and to think I paid for the privilege. Please don't make the same mistake.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Sandie H
Reviewed 4 September 2013

No Rating low enough. Smelled, dodgy patterned sheets, windows painted white and painted shut, bar one which could be opened about 10cms. Dirty, vile, would not recommend. Luckily we only booked 1 night. Sheets and pillows stank, towels were grubby, bathroom towel rail/heater which didn't switch off.

Room Tip: Choose anywhere but here I wouldn't book anything MJB run again. It has taught me a lesson alway...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank brittsaway
Reviewed 27 August 2013

At first i was a bit disorientated by the staffless and keyless hotel but once used to it, i could see the reason behind it and was very impressed. There is always someone around to answer any queries or replenish toiletries. My final two nights for £80 in total were in a room with dbl and single beds, along with a massive bath and bidet (oh, how the other half live), microwave and fridge. I will definitely be asking for room 50 the next time i visit. Situated right next to St. J.ohn the baptist cathedral and with a magic garden next door, the surroundings couldn't have been more impressive> i will be returning very soon, probably Friday, I can't wait.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building as that door is always open and the main office is situated there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank david1313
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Booked 2 rooms last minute for a family wedding. Spent an hour trying to get into hotel on Earlham Road, then found out had been assigned rooms at The Lodge "Hotel" (more like prison site). Had booked 2 twin rooms, found on seperate floors, 1 had knackered bunkbeds. Pillows under cases filthy, windows painted out. More like a drug den. Kids cried and would not stay. Iwoild not have even left my toothbrush in that room. MJB have wormed thier way out of this with their smallprint. For god's sake, environmental health need to shut these cowboys down.

Not pleased as pais over £140 for 1 night. Walked in rooms, turned round and drove 3.5 hours home.

DO NOT USE THESE CLOWNS.

Room Tip: A tent in the high street would be a thousand times better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank Andy F
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I would like to point out the fact that besides the poor quality of this hotel (which I personally don't know a lot as I never stayed there# they are THIEVES.
I booked a double room at this hotel based on the pictures uploaded by them on a touristic site. For the price, they offered me a dungeon with no windows !!!! Plus, they let me know their policy only after booking...which was that they had unlimited access to my bank account, based on the card info I gave them, and they had the possibility to withdraw any amount of money at any time they pleased !!!.
I asked them to return my money as they have not provided the services I asked for and they said that there are no refunds. As a result, I went to my bank and refused the payment to them via card. The bank refunded me and the thieves at MJB, being cornered by now and in danger of loosing my money, decided to withdraw some more money from my account #260 GPB#. At this point they withdrew 520 GPB for services they never provided.
I went to the police and made a criminal complaint against MJB Properties #the name of the company operating the hotel).
Right now the bank refunded me and they are going against MJB.

Please avoid any contact with MJB at any cost!!!! They are THIEVES!!!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo